Author Topic: Baitfeeder Reel For Deadsticking Crappie?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Baitfeeder Reel For Deadsticking Crappie?
« on: Aug 04, 2020, 03:30 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm planning on fishing 2 hole at all times this year.  I got a deadstick holder (Clam Rod Rocker 2) for my bucket that I keep fish in.  I'm looking to set up a deadstick rod and was considering buying a baitfeeder reel for this application.  Think this is a good idea?  I thought it might buy me some time if I a few extra seconds to get to my deadstick rod.

I know that Okuma came out with the 500 and 1000 size Ceymar reels.  Are guys liking them?  Any alternatives?  I'm normally a Daiwa man in open water and 13 Fishing through the ice.  I have the 13 Fishing Descent that I could use as well since it has a bait clicker.  I would just worry about a backlash on the run?

Also, what is the the best size if I'm typically targeting crappie and bluegill with the occasional perch mixed in?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Baitfeeder Reel For Deadsticking Crappie?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2020, 05:26 PM »
the small ceymar bf is fantastic.  use it up here for deadsticking walleye and you can set it so light that fish never feel a thing, highly recommend.  the rod doesn't matter that much when using a baitfeeder for deadsticking smaller fish as you're not relying on watching the rod tip or listening for a bell.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2020, 05:44 PM »
+2 on the Ceymar BF 500.  I bought one last season to try and used it as my deadstick setup and on a Finicky Fooler for trout --- drag was nice and smooth and worked slick for me.  I will be picking up a couple more for this season. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2020, 09:53 AM »
the small ceymar bf is fantastic.  use it up here for deadsticking walleye and you can set it so light that fish never feel a thing, highly recommend.  the rod doesn't matter that much when using a baitfeeder for deadsticking smaller fish as you're not relying on watching the rod tip or listening for a bell.

Do you agree with Bucket Rump on the 500 size for panfish?  I see they also make a 1000 size.  Unfortunately, no one around here stocks them to see how they fit.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Two last questions.

1)  Can you hear the reel when the fish takes it when the bait feeder is engaged?  If not - then I would think you'd be just as well off by leaving the bail open?  I'm looking for something I can hear as I'm often fishing outside of my hub.

2)  Is the Ceymar worth the extra cash?  Or can you not tell the difference between it and the Avenger?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:04 AM »
I under stand the concept and benefit of a baitfeeder spinning reel.   However there are several hacks and tricks that has also been employed for years.  Simple things for trigger strike detection.  The simple leave bail open and have line attached to a switch.  Now this switch can be something simple like a plastic bottle just set off to the side.  The switch can be a bobber or even a little packaging peanut foam.  The switch can even be a rattle reel or jingle bells. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I under stand the concept and benefit of a baitfeeder spinning reel.   However there are several hacks and tricks that has also been employed for years.  Simple things for trigger strike detection.  The simple leave bail open and have line attached to a switch.  Now this switch can be something simple like a plastic bottle just set off to the side.  The switch can be a bobber or even a little packaging peanut foam.  The switch can even be a rattle reel or jingle bells.

https://finickyfooler.com/products/finicky-fooler works great too

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2020, 11:13 AM »
https://finickyfooler.com/products/finicky-fooler works great too

I just ordered two of these!  My plan was to use the standard deadstick on my bucket.  Then I can deploy the finicky foolers out around me.  I'm probably over-thinking things, but I found that when I fish a deadstick with a bobber, often the bobber would be well under the water before I noticed.  I was hoping that the baitfeeder would alert me to the bite without needed to set up the foolers if I'm still searching for the fish.  I like to stay pretty mobile, so I don't use tip ups very often.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2020, 11:53 AM »
What is the difference in the Okuma 500 Avenger ABF and Okuma 500 Ceymar baitfeeder reel?  Is it just one extra ball bearing?
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2020, 12:36 PM »
That's basically the difference that I saw.  Plus the paint job obviously.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2020, 01:06 PM »
I just ordered two of these!  My plan was to use the standard deadstick on my bucket.  Then I can deploy the finicky foolers out around me.  I'm probably over-thinking things, but I found that when I fish a deadstick with a bobber, often the bobber would be well under the water before I noticed.  I was hoping that the baitfeeder would alert me to the bite without needed to set up the foolers if I'm still searching for the fish.  I like to stay pretty mobile, so I don't use tip ups very often.

yep that makes sense.....foolers and tip downs are great to spread out around you. A snare type rod is a good close quarters deadstick style too. Sometimes with the fooler i would just use it as a rod holder for my 32" snare type rod

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2020, 01:59 PM »
A snare type rod is a good close quarters deadstick style too. Sometimes with the fooler i would just use it as a rod holder for my 32" snare type rod

I'm intrigued by the snare rods, but I'm not sure if the rod would be necessary, since I'm intending to use a baitfeeder reel?  I'd also want something a little shorter so I can use it inside when fishing 3 guys out of my hub.  Is there a good 27-28" rod that you would recommend to deadsticking?  I'm partial to reel seats.  Not a fan of taping them on.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2020, 03:18 PM »
You still will want to see the tip load up and pull down before the bait feeder starts letting out line.  Look for a soft rod with a slow action and good backbone.  I don’t know of one that short for “off the shelf” but you could always get one made.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2020, 05:29 PM »
You still will want to see the tip load up and pull down before the bait feeder starts letting out line.

just curious why you feel that would be necessary?  no ill will, i just like to try and learn as much as possible.   i hear the baitfeed click instantly and don't feel any visual aspect is involved.  if you're using it for larger fish then of course you'd need a decent rod to fight the fish.  if $$$ aren't an object than i agree with sticking it on a good rod but if it's just for panfish and there's a budget involved you could stick a baitfeeder on a chunk of hockey stick and it will do the job.

jim - the 500 is plenty, i use it for shallow water walleye no problem.  the fighting drag is great and i even use it as my main stick at times when jigging.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Ice rigger or arctic warrior rigged with a window alarm

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I'm intrigued by the snare rods, but I'm not sure if the rod would be necessary, since I'm intending to use a baitfeeder reel?  I'd also want something a little shorter so I can use it inside when fishing 3 guys out of my hub.  Is there a good 27-28" rod that you would recommend to deadsticking?  I'm partial to reel seats.  Not a fan of taping them on.

https://www.acmetackle.com/collections/ice-rod-reel-combos/products/beaver-dam-23-glass-noodle-rod probably the best bang for the buck with a reel seat

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2020, 09:17 AM »
if $$$ aren't an object than i agree with sticking it on a good rod but if it's just for panfish and there's a budget involved you could stick a baitfeeder on a chunk of hockey stick and it will do the job.

jim - the 500 is plenty, i use it for shallow water walleye no problem.  the fighting drag is great and i even use it as my main stick at times when jigging.

Thanks for the feedback on the 500!  I don't mind spending $30-$40 on a good rod, I just wish I could try out the actions in person.  Unfortunately, I live toward the edge of the reliable ice range so not many stores carry them by me.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Not certain a bait feeder reel is really needed if your prey is crappies. You might better be served with a tip down or two. Simple easy to deploy and move about the ice . Bite detection is easy to see ..adding reflective tape..bells and lights even more so .When i deploy mine I set them up fairly close in a circle or semi circle..and use them a decoys baiting them with minnows  while I jig .Very effective if your fishing mid to late season basin crappie.  On shallow flats they are real easy to deploy as you try to locate the school ...adding bobber stops makes it super simple to get right back down when you move. If I am fishing in a hub or house I will also deploy a dead stick rod. Lots of times crappies wont move after being hooked ..lot of big crappies caught without even tripping the flag on many a tip ups.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2020, 09:45 AM »

https://www.acmetackle.com/collections/ice-rod-reel-combos/products/beaver-dam-23-glass-noodle-rod probably the best bang for the buck with a reel seat

I like the look of that rod!  I was also looking at The Snitch by 13 Fishing.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 07, 2020, 12:24 PM »
just curious why you feel that would be necessary?  no ill will, i just like to try and learn as much as possible.   i hear the baitfeed click instantly and don't feel any visual aspect is involved.  if you're using it for larger fish then of course you'd need a decent rod to fight the fish.  if $$$ aren't an object than i agree with sticking it on a good rod but if it's just for panfish and there's a budget involved you could stick a baitfeeder on a chunk of hockey stick and it will do the job.

It’s not 100% necessary but it will allow the fish to suck in the bait with less tension and if it is a very light bit you will catch more fish.  For example:  I have a TUCR dead stick given to me and I made my own dead stick.  Even though the TUCR is a dead stick it is a heavy dead stick and I don’t like it.  That is probably why it was given to me.  The previous owner thought it sucked as a dead sitck also.  A bait feeder reel still has s light amount of tension on the line.  On light bites the softer tip on the dead stick I made will out fish the TUCR 10 to 1 because the fish can move the bait father without feeling anything.  It is also fun to watch the rod tip go down.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2020, 12:30 PM »
I like the look of that rod!  I was also looking at The Snitch by 13 Fishing.

snitch is a good jigging rod, not that great as a soft deadstick

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2020, 02:40 PM »
snitch is a good jigging rod, not that great as a soft deadstick

Great info guys!  Looks like maybe I should be leaning toward that Beaver Dam Glass Noodle

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I agree with several of the previous posts.

leave the bail open with some sort of strike indicator, be it a piece of foam or a rubber band.

My preference is the bail open with a slip bobber, I have had great success over the years with this setup.

I prefer a slip bobber because it's adjustable and it lets you know how lively your minnow is by how it moves around in the hole.

I always jig one hole and deadstick one, sometimes I add in a tip-up or second dead stick, depending on the action and water depth.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.