Author Topic: THE MINNOW HEAD  (Read 1237 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
THE MINNOW HEAD
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I have to admit that I haven't fished very much with just the minnow head for bait. I know that many of you veteran fishermen use just the head when fishing for eyes and perch. I was wondering how to hook the head on a treble hook to achieve the best performance to a finicky bite. Typically just a head may be better on a Swedish pimple or a jigging rapala. How do you guys like to hook it? Do you go thru the bottom lip and out the head/ hook thru the eyes/ in the gill plates? Also what about just the eyes of minnow? Just think that I will start to try this when the bite isn't working. Might help. I usually fish with the entire minnow on  a rap or pimple. I know guys who prefer fishing the rapala naked. What do you think????

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: THE MINNOW HEAD
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I always used a couple spikes or perch eyes.

Offline muskiesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I cut the minnow about a 1/8"  or so behind the gill plate of the minnow with my thumb. Hook that right through booth lips on a jigging rapala or jigging spoon. This has do e very well for me.
I have caught them with out bait  but not done as well.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Straight through its nose and out its throat. That will be the hardest area and stay on the hook the best.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I hook through the lower jaw and up through the boney top of the head, this seems to stay on the hook the longest for me.  That is the same way I hook whole minnows also.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Straight through its nose and out its throat. That will be the hardest area and stay on the hook the best.
x2
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:41 AM »
x3

i use all pieces of the minnow when tipping though. top to bottom, it all smells like fish. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:10 AM »
I go through the throat and out the top of the head and then pinch the minnow off right at the gills, so all you are left with is a head with pectoral fins attached.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I go through the throat and out the top of the head and then pinch the minnow off right at the gills, so all you are left with is a head with pectoral fins attached.
x2 I have also had good success with the Gulp alive minnow heads. they really stay on, and the fish don't know the difference.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:15 AM »
http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/01/01/walleye-tipping-tips-tricks/         http://www.stringease.com/products.php?cat=snaps&id=fastach_clips    http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/keys/fastach/page/1/id/2321/name/StringeaseFastachMultiUseClip   Just started using these ....principle seems sound ....I've tried all ways to keep the minnow head on ....but kept getting picked off or swallowed...making me re rig during the frenzy ....insead of being able to just unhook and get back down .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:19 AM »
When they're suspended, I go into the throat and out the head, on the hook that is inline with middle of the back of the spoon. If they're tight to the bottom, I go into the back of their head and out the top, so the minnow is facing down. Like a minnow feeding on the bottom, and it seems to produce, but you do lose more minnows heads that way.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I use a fastach clip made by stringease. Take the hook off of the split ring and attach fastach clip to split ring.
 Take hook through minnow or head then hook on the clip. If you want the presentation to be like a minnow feeding on the bottom, go through mouth to clip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.