New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: smelt  (Read 2072 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
smelt
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 09:40 PM »
is it legal to use a minnow trap to catch smelt in the winter threw the ice her in good old ny?

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: smelt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 04:44 AM »
Coldbum,

I am not sure about catching the smelt in traps but, I have tried dead smelt from Tops supermarkets.  We buy them and they are headless and gutted.  They work great for pike and we have caught trout on them in Hemlock Lake.  If it works there it should work anywhere.  Tops has a lot of smelt around Christmas.  I buy a large amount and brine them in a salt and sugar solution.  I then vacuum seal them and freeze them.  The night before I fish I take a package out to thaw.

Offline Joes fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:41 AM »
is it legal to use a minnow trap to catch smelt in the winter threw the ice her in good old ny?
If I am reading page 12 of the NY fishing guide rite it looks like its legal to catch smelt any time with a trap.
But the best source of info would be to call the regional fisheries office thy can give you the best info.
Happy fishing and good luck :)
Lets go fishing

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I wish you luck, they refuse to go into a trap, I know a guy who put one in the middle of a school of them for days and not one went in.. He has been trying for a couple years now with no sucess, your best bet is to jig them up or net em in the spring when they spawn.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

NAD42

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Just don't have any smelt on the KING, it doesn't matter if ya caught them in your local lake, out of the KING, or bought them in your local market...possession of smelt on the KING, is illegal.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2005, 07:58 AM »
You're not kidding NAD, even the mere mention of smelt at fish307 and those guys get PISSED, trust me I know...they have no sense of humor about the whole thing ;D

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2005, 07:59 AM »
yeah, i want to trap them on Lake Tanglefoot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.