Author Topic: Exeter River smelt fishing?  (Read 7253 times)

Offline craze4bikes

• IceShanty Rookie
Exeter River smelt fishing?
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:08 PM »
just looking for a report on what people are catching!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Exeter River smelt fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Just made it home it is a sloppy mess out there. Had to ad more blocking under the shack. Please watch out for old open holes that are now hidden by snow as i found one tonight went in to mid thigh not a very plesant feeling. 

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:01 AM »
i also found a old hole lastnight the ice is a mess i didnt even bother fishing was to worried about getting the shack out of the 5 inchs of water i hope it gets cold or else its going to be a mess for awhile

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:27 PM »
if you have a shanty on the river you better get down there and block it up or else its going to be frozen in about 5 inchs ice the water level is real high and the tides are only getting higher and if we get a cold snap and your shack is under that water line you will be screwed

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Hi All:

Good advice - I saw some shacks late last year that were destroyed on the ice because they were left unattended. The amount of recent snow only makes matters worse..

Fishy, Fishy - other then fixing your shack have you been smelt fishing and if so any positive results from the river yet? I am thinking of heading to ME to James Eddy this weekend so if anyone has any reports please send them along.

Thanks  JR

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:24 PM »
i havent fished much im going out right now tho but my friend went to james eddy last thursday and got 60lbs between 3 guys i will post later when i get home and let you know if they are hitting in the exeter

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Wow - that is a lot of smelt  ;D ...What do you do with 60lbs of smelt? I can't imagine how long it took to clean and freeze all them. That must of been like 2-3 large buckets full of fish or more..

They are good eating fresh but how are they after they have been frozen?

Anyway thanks for the update - now I'm getting excited about my trip. Good luck down the river and let me know how you do.

Thanks..JR

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I am headed for Dresden Thursday for the noon incoming. Sharon James said even the day tides have been producing. I wish things would pick up around here!
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:59 AM »
well the tommy cod were in lastnight i got 15 at the top of the tide and only 3 smelt i think i just missed the smelt but the tides are getting better and the slush on the ice froze up some lastnight saterday and sunday night should be good early night incoming tides that should bring in some numbers

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Friends of mine went up to the Kennebec River to Big Jim's, between 3 of them they got 3 smelt...Very expensive smelt!
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:58 AM »
Friends of mine went up to the Kennebec River to Big Jim's, between 3 of them they got 3 smelt...Very expensive smelt!

Yup, that's a big gamble going all the way up there and just catching a few, and then have to drive all the way home in the middle of the night. :'( We have gone up to James eddy a few times, and the best we have done is about twenty pounds apeice, and thats not realy worth the drive, when on a good night you can do that on the bay, or the river around here.

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Driving to Dresden or Bowdinham is almost a 3 hour drive for me so it's a very big gamble - but then again fishing is always a gamble. I called up to James Eddy and Lisa says she has nothing open for the weekend as every shack is booked....

Guess it's the bay or river this weekend. Does anyone know what the tide will be and what website I can use to get the tide charts? During the summer I use Maine Harbors.com for Portsmouth but I know the river is different.

Thanks,,JR

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:37 AM »
This is the site i use. im guessing if your fishing in exeter, the tides should be about two hours later than what the squamscot tide prediction is. again just an estimate :)

http://www.maineboats.com/tide-charts/nh

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing you should start fishing say 2-3 hours before high so you get them on the incoming? Does that sound right or do you start sooner then that?

Thanks,,JR

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:25 PM »
My buddy that fishes in exeter every day,said they are hitting a couple of hours before high tide, and then they stop at the top of the tide for about an hour then they bite again on the outgoing tide.

He said prime time today is at two thirty.

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Driving to Dresden or Bowdinham is almost a 3 hour drive for me so it's a very big gamble - but then again fishing is always a gamble. I called up to James Eddy and Lisa says she has nothing open for the weekend as every shack is booked....

Guess it's the bay or river this weekend. Does anyone know what the tide will be and what website I can use to get the tide charts? During the summer I use Maine Harbors.com for Portsmouth but I know the river is different.

Thanks,,JR

I sell tide charts for a buck and I'm sure they must have them at Suds and Soda, too. Much more useful to have in your truck or tackle box then a website! ;)
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:16 PM »
you go online and print 3 copies for each month. 1 for your tackle box and 2 for your truck
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:17 PM »
On my way down hope to have a good report later on. Some one i know or we all now on here reports a few hundred last night ::) but he is one hell of a smelt fisherman thumbs up ;D

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:39 PM »
If he is is a straight shooter and got them on a river then that IS good news! People have been getting similar catches on the Bay off and on right along. Maine was good yesterday  ;)
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:36 PM »
sounds like one of ice trappers storys ive been there everyday and they just arnt in that big of schools yet

Offline Marshindian

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Desperate anglers sometimes see "fish mirages", I hear tell!
"Eat yer fish!"

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:22 PM »

Ya this story is more like what we catch. Smelt= $55lb.

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Ya this story is more like what we catch. Smelt= $55lb.
:clap: Sounds like my deer hunting for the past couple years!!

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Well I can honestly say he did better tonight than me once again I fell through I stepped of the bridge and took two steps to the left and was sitting up to my belly in water. Decided to warm up in shack regard less and striped down to me boxers and crank the heat. 230 min. go by and there is a knock on the door and flash light guess who. A wonder full young woman says fish & game I through the bottoms of Ice armor on and answer the door not thinking about what is all over the walls of my buddies shack needless to say it is all XXX rated pics I was truly horrified how did that look? I redecorated the shack needless to say after she left I cant believe tonight talk about embarrassing. But ended up with five smelt and missed a few more in the very beginning I need to figure them out. Icetrapper stopped by with a bucket of 30 or so.

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:20 PM »
BAWAHAHAHAHAH

THAT IS HILLARIOUS

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:38 AM »
Sounds like the beginning of a story from another "forum".  ;) Sorry you fell in.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:20 AM »
dam thats to funny it should be a good tide tonight get there aroud 330 or 4 and fish till 8 should be a good bite

Offline jigginfool55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Wow - that is a lot of smelt  ;D ...What do you do with 60lbs of smelt? I can't imagine how long it took to clean and freeze all them. That must of been like 2-3 large buckets full of fish or more..

They are good eating fresh but how are they after they have been frozen?

Anyway thanks for the update - now I'm getting excited about my trip. Good luck down the river and let me know how you do.

Thanks..JR
I freeze all my fish in water and seal them w/a vacuum sealer or a zip lock bag and push all the air out ,make sure all the fish are covered in water . That way they never get freezer burn and they look and taste just like you just caught them hope this helps  jigginfool55

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:43 PM »
you go online and print 3 copies for each month. 1 for your tackle box and 2 for your truck

Hey Ryan, I figured you'd have it available on your BlackBerry..  ;D

Pipes: that's classic!!  ;D

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:17 AM »
had the skunk follow me home lastnight  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.