Author Topic: dog fishing  (Read 5633 times)

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
dog fishing
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:22 PM »
Does anybody take there there dog out with them? I do mine love fishing,doesn't matter if they are in the boat or looking down a hole,just as long as were catchin' fish ;D

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
Re: dog fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:28 PM »
i hear ya! my black lab jack loves running to flags with me and enjoys nice relaxing rides in the boat while i pull in the big ones.

Offline keva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I have taken my dog openwater fishing before. Did not work, everytime she saw the splash of my lure she jumped in and swam out looking for it. Maybe once I get a boat she can come. I am planning to take her ice fishing with me this year, do your dogs have any problems with the cold temps or walking on ice? She also has a thing for rod tips, she is always staring at mine when I am working with my rod in the house waiting for me to stop paying attention so she can bite it.

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I have taken my dog openwater fishing before. Did not work, everytime she saw the splash of my lure she jumped in and swam out looking for it. Maybe once I get a boat she can come. I am planning to take her ice fishing with me this year, do your dogs have any problems with the cold temps or walking on ice? She also has a thing for rod tips, she is always staring at mine when I am working with my rod in the house waiting for me to stop paying attention so she can bite it.
Yea when they were pups one would jump in after a bait every mow and then.Now the only time they want to is if it is hot out.I don't take them out if is really cold or if it is glare ice.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:57 PM »
You bet.  ;D

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I take my yellow lab Chopper almost everytime I go ice fishing or summer fishing.  When were ice fishing he goes to my holes and eats all the dead minnows.  If he see's me grab my poles or auger before we head out, he goes nuts.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:29 PM »
my buddy used to bring his dog out lobstering with him, only problem is the dog things each bouy goin overboard is a toy and tries to jump in. 150 attempts to play fetch is not a fun day
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Akdg, I'm jealous. My Yellow Lab loved Icefishin. He's a little to crippled up to join me on the Ice anymore.

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some guys have bigger jig sticks then others!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:33 PM »
There just like kids! Don't leave them at home. I know there are sometimes when we have too.

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Depends where I go.  My Choc Lab loves people, loves to be outside, as most labs do. But some people do not like dogs.  99% of the time she goes.  she here the scrap of the sled in the basement and she knows where we are going. Got to love it! If she is not on the ice, its just not the same.

TOm

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:57 PM »
dont have a dog but one did join me and a buddy on sandy the other night
nice black lab

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:55 PM »
akdg, looks like you have a life long fishing buddy :)

Offline limpbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:40 AM »
my lab becky used to pull my sled, i hook the curl of my skimmer handle in to her harness to steer and help pull over pressure ridges, she also loved throwing floppin perch up in the air like a cat. she started guarding the food in my sled in later years, once in my sneaky days i kept a couple bass i hid them in my sled. i got a visiter on the ice and when he approached my sled to see my perch pile beck moved on hin a little , scared him good and just ashe hurridly turnedaway the lively bass flipped the canvas off thanks to becky i didnt get caught, oh yeah she would retrieve my buddys perch and drop em in my pile. once my beagle peed on some guys tip up KEEP THAT MUT AWAY FROM MY STUFF he had beagle basset mix dogs with him, i had to tell him who had the mutts,

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:23 AM »
One of mine's too old to get out on the slab for any duration but the other would and does have a great time when she gets to go.  I haven't taken her all that often though as she's a busy body of the first water and tends to want to introduce herself to others and would become a nuisance.  Not fair for the other folks, and sooner or later she's going to want to bite a jig or eat a tip-up minnow and I'd rather not deal with that.  If I think that I'm going to be the only one out there at a spot she gets to come on occasion , otherwise, she whines at the door when I leave. 
Chris Raymond

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:45 AM »
I take my black lab Bailey with me a lot.  He stays home if it is too cold.  He loves chasing people to tip ups and putting his entire head down the hole to get the ice chunks in a freshly cut hole. 

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:46 AM »
Never go without them, hence the name.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:51 AM »
I have a chocolate and a yellow lab they pretty much go where ever I go They seem to like chilling on the boat but they differently like ice fishing cause they can run around. I have boots that they were on the feet to stop them from getting cut or there pads cracking due to the cold. It is tough for them when there's no snow on the ice, not to good for there hips slipping and sliding around. When they see me getting my ice gear they go nuts, won't leave home with em'
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:56 AM »
dog fishing?
i caught one once.
left a salted minnow on my rod, leaned up against the house.
came out and noticed the line trailing off into the woods.
thats right, a #10 double hook, buried in her tounge.
had to pull it thriugh with pliers, and snip off the barbs.
she was not impressed.dog didn't much care for it either.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:14 PM »
ouch!!  :o i can definitely see my dog doing something like that

Offline Just Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:44 PM »
I'm not as lucky.  My dogs are fair weather fisherdogs.  They love to be out on the boat.  The first time I took them out on the ice, it was -14 with a wind chill going to -30.  My female (the one that runs the "pack" of 3) got half way out to where I had my shelter and sat down.  She wasn't going an inch farther out on the ice.  She decided she would have none of it - it was too cold.  The other two followed her lead.  They ended up spending the rest of the trip in the camper under the heater while I was out in the shelter.

Go figure  ::)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I bring my chocolate lab...I have to bring a tennis ball as well, throw and retrieve, throw and retrieve...all day.  And never fail, the tip up closest to where she 'does her business' always seems to be the honey hole (yeah, I pick it up).  When she gets home, she hits her bed and is out!!!

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:02 PM »
As long as it's warm enough, she'll go.

This is Barley

This was my old dog.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Too many eagles up here!  My pomeranian would fly away or get lost in the snow!

Offline davieb78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:57 PM »
My dog is pretty crazy, still a hyper pup.  He's a hound mix, a cross between a pointer and greyhound.  Hopefully next year he can graduate to the hard water.  Loves the salt though and getting smacked by breaking waves, really funny to see.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Yep bring my big blonde goon out once in awhile. ;D ;D...Took this when he was looking up at a big flock of candas flying over head.Tennis balls and snowballs are the game.I know once we back up to leave in the truck for the day he is out cold.LOL....

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:45 PM »
dog fishing?
i caught one once.
left a salted minnow on my rod, leaned up against the house.
came out and noticed the line trailing off into the woods.
thats right, a #10 double hook, buried in her tounge.
had to pulcarel it thriugh with pliers, and snip off the barbs.
she was not impressed.dog didn't much care for it either.

I hope the dog is alright.  Maybe you should punish your wife for not taking of your fishing gear?  lol :laugh:

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Yep bring my big blonde goon out once in awhile. ;D ;D...Took this when he was looking up at a big flock of candas flying over head.Tennis balls and snowballs are the game.I know once we back up to leave in the truck for the day he is out cold.LOL....

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice picture

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:07 PM »

Naw, never take my dog fishing.  He never let's me drive my own sled!

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Nice GSP :thumbsup:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I was thinking the same when I saw yours, birddog_20.
My signature pic is of the old maid, LacyMae, +14 yrs old.  My sled rider is the 3yr old, Fazby
(a play on Financial Accounting Standards Bureau...my wife's a CPA).
Check out some of Maine's threads, look for some posts by Pegasus.  He's got
his hands full with a young GSP as well.

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.