The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jawjackers and tipups  (Read 774 times)

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jawjackers and tipups
« on: Mar 07, 2021, 06:11 PM »
In yards, how far away do you set your farthest tip up or soon to be jawjacker? 75 yards is max for me. I asked a warden on the ice once if my tipup was to far away. His answer was if you can see it, it’s ok.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jawjackers and tipups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:47 AM »
yeah, I don't like to set them too far away cuz I know... I know, that last one way out there will be the one the dink perch keep popping! I usually keep them inside 40 or 50 yards, I often set them in a semi circle pattern around me so I can watch them from my clam while jigging. Sometimes I set them 15 or so yards apart heading in a direction to cover different depths. Whenever I do that though I find that just one or 2 of them ever pop and the others usually just sit there all day.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2021, 06:20 AM »
Typically we set our tipups in a string trying to cross the channel if there is one. Usually the line is within 100 yards. Quite a few years ago in Bucks County a new warden told us our tipups were too far apart and were not under our control. Where we fish up in Carbon the wardens are great and we haven't had an issue.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2021, 07:08 AM »
I’ve seen people sitting at their camp, when a flag goes off they get on their 4-wheeler and drive a 1/4 mile to their trap....

For jawjackers I like to set it close to the tent or where I’m hanging out. A lot of the time the fish will thrash near the surface and come unbuttoned so I like to be able to get to the jacker quickly.

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:00 AM »
I'll set the jawjacker pretty close to where I'm jigging.  Even if i'm inside - I'll have it right outside and I can hear it go off without having to look at it constantly.

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Typically we set our tipups in a string trying to cross the channel if there is one. Usually the line is within 100 yards. Quite a few years ago in Bucks County a new warden told us our tipups were too far apart and were not under our control. Where we fish up in Carbon the wardens are great and we haven't had an issue.
thats the problem it depends on the mood of the warden that day what is acceptable distance, could be costly !

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:27 AM »
I always set my tipups close to me. I want to try to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook. Also don’t want to “hog” a big area on the lake. I do the same with my jawjackers. Never more than 20y from me................
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.