New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Good stories about Adirondack ice fishing?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline 4fishgreenberg

• IceShanty Rookie
Good stories about Adirondack ice fishing?
« on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm writing an article about ice fishing for Adirondack Life Magazine. Does anyone have any good ice fishing stories from the region they'd like to share? I'm looking for stories about unusual catches, great days, bad days, falling through the ice, and other hair raising tales.

Thanks,
4fishgreenberg

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Good stories about Adirondack ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:16 AM »
Welcome to the site.
 I read that magazine.
But this will be moved to the New York board... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I saw a guy catch a musket that had been on the bottom of Lake George for a couple hundred years or so on a tipup last year at Silver Bay.  It had to have sunk straight down and stuck up enough so that a lake trout wrapped the line around it and he managed to hand line it in, along with the fish.  Don't see that everyday ???

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2021, 01:32 PM »
I saw a guy catch a musket that had been on the bottom of Lake George for a couple hundred years or so on a tipup last year at Silver Bay.  It had to have sunk straight down and stuck up enough so that a lake trout wrapped the line around it and he managed to hand line it in, along with the fish.  Don't see that everyday ???
He must have thought he had the laker of a lifetime on...LOL

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:08 PM »
I got one for you.  I had a long time fishing buddy who was from Texas and moved to the Adirondacks to work on the new Northway. He married a local girl and ran a successful Texas BBQ restaurant in Schroon Lake for many years. He told of this story. He invited several of his Texas buddies to come up and ice fish one winter. As he drove the crew to his hard shanty in his 3/4 ton 4x4 van, (we had 2ft of ice) the ice is making all these cracking sounds. (It always does.) They looked frightened as my buddy told them to crack the doors open so that if they broke through, the doors could catch on the ice, giving them time to escape doom! (the pump has been primed)  After setting tipups they were in the shanty, when another vehicle came to check on them. The noise of the cracking was quite something, and these boys said, what's that!!! My friend screamed out, the lake is breaking up!!! Well those three guys broke the door off the shanty as they tried to get to the east shore, running for all they were worth, till they turned around only to see the local boys laughing their butts off! Now Texas boys may be tough, but frozen Adirondack lakes are a great equalizer!
Tony

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Many, many years ago, my brother, dad, and I were ice fishing out of Million Dollar Beach in Lake George during February break.  This father and son from Jamaica came out on to the ice. They were visiting relatives down in NYC and had asked where the best place to view snow would be. Their relatives told them to go to Lake George.  So the father rented a car and headed up to the lake. The father and son from Jamaica were asking all kinds of questions about ice fishing and the lake. We even let the boy pull up a fish on a tip up and a jig pole. He was grinning from ear to ear.
       Well as we were talking to them, a pick up truck comes driving by on the ice back towards shore. Well the father was just astounded. He couldn't believe you could also drive on the lake. He started asking all kinds of questions about driving on the ice.  After talking with them for 30 minutes they headed back in to shore. 
      About 10 minutes later, we see this little Honda sedan drive down the boat ramp and on to the lake. It stops and a kid gets out with a video camera.  It was the father and son from Jamaica.  The boy walks out a ways and starts filming the father driving the rental car on the lake. He started doing donuts and and slides with the car while the boy video taped him the whole time. After 10 minutes of this the boy gets back into the car and they drive off the ice. 
     Next thing we know they came walking back out to us. The father was super excited saying "Did you see me drive? Did you see me on the ice?"   He said they took video because their relatives back in Jamaica wouldn't believe them about driving on ice.  After visiting with us for about another half hour they left. We were glad that we could help them have a memorable time on the ice. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline conesusguysouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2021, 03:46 PM »
thats a top notch story :tipup:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:15 PM »
Great story Roy!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline NeedSleep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 12:42 PM »
That's a story there!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.