Author Topic: Jig not showing correctly on humminbird ice helix 5  (Read 763 times)

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jig not showing correctly on humminbird ice helix 5
« on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:09 AM »
So I do have a new Garmin panoptix coming tomorrow but giving my ice helix 5 to my dad but I’ve been having issues lately. Drop the jig down it picks up but once it gets to the bottom it goes to a faint blue line and disappears and I have to reel it up and drop it down again...doesn’t do this every time but more times then not. It’s the helix sonar gps unit I bought new in 2016. I have restored the defaults, checked all connections everything is good the transducer cord is good no dings or cuts in it nothing. Ice fishing mode is on,  it’s in advanced mode, I have to literally turn the sensitivity all the way up. Also switched it from clear mode to max mode to see it better. Could it be because I had the cone set to wide view instead of narrow? I also noticed yesterday when I got home that the one cord was pulled up more causing the cone to be titled so if it was in the water the cone wasn’t setting flush, could that cause that? I’ve never had any issues with this unit until the last 3 trips out. It only has 82 hours of use on it. Could it be bad transducer? I’ve never thrown the unit around never hit the transducer or anything always extra careful with it. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!

Offline pugman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jig not showing correctly on humminbird ice helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:26 AM »
I kinda had the same problem with vexilar fl-12 this winter, went to use it and it wasn't showing jig, I went to vex website and they showed a video about how to test your ice-ducer if you have to turn your gain way up to see jig, then  probably weak ice-ducer, if you don't see anything then probably bad ice-ducer. I would go to humminbird website to see if they show a video about this. I bought new ice-ducer problem solved.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Transducer not sitting level in the water will cause that, also if ice isn't clear need to have it closer to bottom of ice in the hole, cloudy ice will mess with the signal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Normal effects of sonar signal strength.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:25 AM »
What's your depth?

Check your surface clutter, make sure its at around 5.
WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.