The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Southern Michigan Ice Fishing  (Read 5884 times)

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Southern Michigan Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Hi all - new to site.  I'm in Ohio and not projected, again, to get much ice.  Looking for a place in southern Michigan for some weekend trips.  Can anybody recommend some areas to hit in southern Michigan?
Thanks and good luck on the ice!

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Southern Michigan Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Brooklyn or Coldwater areas offer a ton of great fishing. Tons of smaller lakes that tend to freeze even in a bad year

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:45 PM »
How far north ya willing to head.... Im about an hour 45 from toledo... Ya make it to me and there will be ice soon enough.... 2 hours north of me they have been fishing for 2 weeks....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline delee1sp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Chain of lakes in Coldwater is a nice place to fish. Archer lake has a marina you can park across from and makes for easy walking. Plenty of Crappie and Gills in there. Marble is a good lake as well. Ive done very well out there in the past. Tip-up island on the north end is very accessible and provides some easy access and not a lot of walking to get to fish. Hope this helps

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Brooklyn or Coldwater areas offer a ton of great fishing. Tons of smaller lakes that tend to freeze even in a bad year

Sounds good, thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for that area.

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:24 AM »
How far north ya willing to head.... Im about an hour 45 from toledo... Ya make it to me and there will be ice soon enough.... 2 hours north of me they have been fishing for 2 weeks....

Toledo is about 2.5 hours. Don’t want to get too far north of I can help it. But if the weather doesn’t cooperate... where about are you?

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:33 AM »
Chain of lakes in Coldwater is a nice place to fish. Archer lake has a marina you can park across from and makes for easy walking. Plenty of Crappie and Gills in there. Marble is a good lake as well. Ive done very well out there in the past. Tip-up island on the north end is very accessible and provides some easy access and not a lot of walking to get to fish. Hope this helps

Thanks, that’s about the distance I want to travel. Looks like cold water has plenty of hotels as well. I’ll keep an eye out for conditions on those lakes.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:33 AM »
The Irish Hills has many lakes. There is a Super 8 in Brooklyn, with Knutsons Sporting Goods right next door.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:15 AM »
I live in between flint and saginaw.... 20 minutes from saginaw river...35 minutes from saginaw bay
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:39 AM »
The Irish Hills has many lakes. There is a Super 8 in Brooklyn, with Knutsons Sporting Goods right next door.

Thanks. Lots of water in that area... are the smaller lakes private?  Quick glance I didn’t see much public access.

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:40 AM »
I live in between flint and saginaw.... 20 minutes from saginaw river...35 minutes from saginaw bay

That’s a haul for a weekend, but worth it if there’s ice!  Thanks.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Lots of lakes with public access within 10 miles. Wamplers, Vineyard, Devils, Clark, Allens, Vandercook, Iron, One mile, Sand. Round ( there are 2), Get a copy of Sportsmans connection SE Michigan fishing map guide. And SW Michigan guide. Find them cheap on E Bay sometimes. About 20 bucks new. 220 Lakes in the SE guide. 200 in the SW guide. Go git em!!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:43 PM »
When we get ice conditions, I will be checking these lakes and posting on the Irish Hills subject and on Snitch#8's ice conditions post. I am 70. Retired. What else I got to do? I live around these lakes. If I can save a fellow Icer a 2 hour drive...I don't mind. I guess the statement "we are all in this together " applies.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:35 PM »
When we get ice conditions, I will be checking these lakes and posting on the Irish Hills subject and on Snitch#8's ice conditions post. I am 70. Retired. What else I got to do? I live around these lakes. If I can save a fellow Icer a 2 hour drive...I don't mind. I guess the statement "we are all in this together " applies.
Same for me but I'm only 59, retired & live near Battle Creek. Spend lots of time checking lakes around here. If Smelt is on your menu, a week-end trip to the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area  might be fun. Gull lake is an excellent lake for Pannies,Pike & Smelt !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:55 AM »

Thanks for all the info, skiff. I’ll take a look at the maps and keep an eye out for ice updates. Good luck!

Offline beardedangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Same for me but I'm only 59, retired & live near Battle Creek. Spend lots of time checking lakes around here. If Smelt is on your menu, a week-end trip to the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area  might be fun. Gull lake is an excellent lake for Pannies,Pike & Smelt !

Smeltbuster - thanks for the info on Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Has anyone checked magician lake in Dowagiac yet this year.   Just wondering on conditions since I'm almost 2 hours from it.   

Great open water fishing and wanted to try it this year and see how it is during ice season

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2021, 08:26 AM »
the forecast keeps getting better for ice!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Places i checked in cass county 2inches
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2021, 03:15 PM »
On Tuesday I was able to sneak out on 2.5-3inches in Livingston co. jdgambler you know where. Just got off the little cove on strawberry lake in front of my house 3-3.5 the rest of the lake is an inch or so. I agree, forecast keeps getting bumped down, let's hope this trend continues!

Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:04 AM »
Is it worth making a trip to St. Claire to fish the bays while waiting for ice to form south. Thanks for any information.

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Lots of lakes with public access within 10 miles. Wamplers, Vineyard, Devils, Clark, Allens, Vandercook, Iron, One mile, Sand. Round ( there are 2), Get a copy of Sportsmans connection SE Michigan fishing map guide. And SW Michigan guide. Find them cheap on E Bay sometimes. About 20 bucks new. 220 Lakes in the SE guide. 200 in the SW guide. Go git em!!

Is anywhere in the Irish Hills area fishable yet?
Makiplastics Pro Staff
Clam Outdoors Pro Staff (Powerstick)

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:00 PM »
Is there public access for Coldwater Lake? Found a post from years ago that references The Campground and Shawnee, but can't seem to find them on a map. There are several campgrounds.

I'm thinking about a weekend trip to Irish Hills (if it's safe) or Coldwater. I'm looking to scratch the itch and ice some crappies - I'm catch and release only.
Makiplastics Pro Staff

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Yes there is a dnr public boat launch on coldwater. I haven't fished coldwater in a few years but it's a big lake and usually takes longer than other lakes in the area, wouldnt be surprised if there is open water especially after the weather yesterday. There may be people getting out in the tri-state area or Irish hills next weekend. But Depending on where you're driving up from probably a better bet heading further north. I can give an update on general ice conditions I'm finding in washtenaw/ Livingston
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:09 PM »
@quack I'd be driving from Pennsylvania.
Makiplastics Pro Staff

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:25 PM »
Irish hills lakes from 1.5 to 2.5 inches today. Some people fishing on devils and vineyard. I would say another week to be safe.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:23 AM »
this 4" of wet snow has made some of the good ice around here a bit soft. Looks like i'm waiting. a few days till it gets colder at night. Ya quack looks like the largemouth i got on wed. lol
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Yea just checked a couple lakes, if we can get this slush on the lakes to freeze tonight/tomorrow before doing too much damage we should be looking good for this coming weekend.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:41 AM »
2" on Skiff Lake

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2021, 01:08 PM »
I checked 7 lakes around the Irish Hills today. 2.5" was the thickest I found. 2 lakes still had open water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.