The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Catch and release?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline ICEMAN 17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hello my name is iceman ,and I'm a fishaholic
Catch and release?
« on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:04 PM »
How many people on here keep what they catch? I think if your going to keep some fish keep the panfish. Let the bass go. I already know of at least 2 bass over 21 inches kept out of my home lake. I know it's nothing I can do ,but to me it just don't make sense. Just curious what other peoples opinions are?

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catch and release?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:08 PM »
All bass and nice fish usually go back down the hole, I even released a 17 inch crappie back down the hole a few yrs back.  I used to keep nice gills, but now I mainly just keep crappie and perch and sometimes a gill here and there

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:27 PM »
Always, I preach and practice it :angel
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline jiggin617

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:42 PM »
My son and I release the fish we catch. On occasion will take home a few panfish for a meal. The bigger fish we catch we'll take a picture and then release them.

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:50 PM »
I'll keep some crappie, gills, perch and one or two big pickerel but the bass go back.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:16 PM »
I think I've only eaten two freshwater bass in the last ten years.I would eat pike in Canada maybe but, In the smaller lakes in S.E Pa. I like to see them released.Any fish is excelent if prepared properly, and with most of us spending 500$ in gear just to get out there, I think most people like some panfish. I know I do. This is generally the only time of the year I eat a few. In bigger lakes like the Big"O" they are a renewable resource. Amen.

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:56 PM »
I haven't kept any fish ice fishing in 10 years. I like going to ice tourneys but it really bothers me when they offer a prize for the most weight in panfish and you have guys coming in with 10+ lbs. and you know alot of them are going in the trash. I take a cooler with me, its really easy to keep fish for the weigh in and then release them, used to fish Gouldsboro all the time and would see hundreds of pickerel, perch, and gills just thrown on top of the ice being eaten by stray gulls. I know lots of fisherman consider them nusances, but if their undersized try explaining it to the warden. I wish more people would look at getting the most enjoyment for your $31 instead of getting as much "meat" as you can....

Offline crappiefever

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a crappie day !
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:02 AM »
I keep very few . If I keep any at all it will be crappie or perch and only enough for a meal.The rest I keep with photos  I take  . I always carry a small camera . Makes for some good memorys later !!  ;D

Wishin I was fishin !

Offline ICEMAN 17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 07:07 AM »
It sounds like we all agree on catch and release. I guess that means either nobody on here keeps there fish or they won't post saying why they keep the big bass or other gamefish they catch.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2005, 07:25 AM »
Well, I don't ever kill bass, and one lake I fish often is loaded with nice ones. Hate to see a lunker laying on ice, next to a pile of panfish, but if the fish are legal you can't say much. Do enjoy a few gills, perch, or crappie, but I'm pretty selective about the sizes. Like to keep perch and crappie over 10'', but only a few. A couple of meals here and there, and you don't want to crop too many big spawner females, for sure. I'll take stocker trout if they are decent, the large ones are tasty smoked!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:03 AM »
Well, I don't ever kill bass, and one lake I fish often is loaded with nice ones. Hate to see a lunker laying on ice, next to a pile of panfish, but if the fish are legal you can't say much. Do enjoy a few gills, perch, or crappie, but I'm pretty selective about the sizes. Like to keep perch and crappie over 10'', but only a few. A couple of meals here and there, and you don't want to crop too many big spawner females, for sure. I'll take stocker trout if they are decent, the large ones are tasty smoked!

I agree!  Same here.  I keep a few panfish on each trip, some trips I keep more than others, and rarely will I bring a bucket full home (a lot of work to filet), but I never waste them.  All of the toothy critters I catch go back down but, although I have yet to keep any, I may keep a walleye or two, and I will keep stocked trout.  All bass go back ASAP.  There is nothing worse IMO than taking fish only to not use them.

...unless it's by accident ::)

Like the time my bucket spilled in the back of my Expedition and I thought that I got all the fish out.  Well, I fileted what I thought were all of them but a few days later my wife noticed a strange smell... :sick:

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Flagchaser59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:36 AM »
I don't keep fish very often, maybe once every few years. I wish the fish commission would lower the limit on pan fish, and maybe even do like they do with the special regs lakes and put a size limit on them. I think it's probably good for the lakes and rivers if some fish are kept, even bass but I do hate to see the big bass laying on the ice or hanging off of somebody's stringer. JMO

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:37 AM »
I throw almost everything back.  But we keep a couple of stockie trout to go with our deer chops when up at camp.  Surf and turf....  I'll bet we don't keep more than a couple dozen fish between me, my dad and my son (13 yrs old) all year long combined - hard and soft water.

I know of people with camps near us that have made the run back to camp to dump a limit and then return to keep fishing.  Most of them have been busted at one time or another.  A few "anonymous" tips will do wonders to stop that waste. ;)

I have actually heard guys brag ..... "I have 100's of trout in the freezer from this spring/summer."  Never hear them talk about eating them though.  What a waste.
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:45 AM »
 Thats a good one, Kevin! My wife noticed a strange smell! That reminds me of the time I knocked over a bottle of fox lure, in my truck, and the cap came off! My wife had to ride with the window down, the whole winter!  ::)
TEAM  PA.

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:07 AM »
I don't eat fish, I don't like the taste.  It is real easy for me to throw them all back after I take a picture.  I may keep something if the person I am with wants some to eat.  I see alot of people involved in catch and release.  That's a good thing.     Jitterbug

Offline ICEMAN 17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:58 AM »
There is a guy I work with that seemed interested with going ice fishing with me. He never tried it ,and I was fine with it until he told me he was going to keep every fish he caught no matter what species. I told him sorry and I couldn't take him because I practice catch and release. He told me he don't know why I fish if I'm not going to keep the fish I catch. I just shook my head and walked away. Some people just don't get it.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Theres nothing wrong with keeping some fish, especially panfish b/c they are such prolific spawners, it actually helps the lake to harvest these fish.  I just hate to see a 6 lb bass laying on the ice to be filleted.  Just seems like a waste of a fish for a little meat.  Keep more gills and crappie if you want more meat.

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:59 AM »
i only fish for panfish and usually keep between 8 and 10 for a meal the next day.  we only keep fish over 8 inches and under 14.  everything else goes back. but i want  1 calico over 17, which i will take, but have yet to catch one though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline ICEMAN 17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2005, 12:17 PM »
I agree charmano3 with what you said. If someone wants to keep some panfish for a meal I don't have a problem with that. The big bass is what I really get irritated with. Some of the people that do keep the big bass act like thats the only way they'll have food to eat through the week even though there out on the ice with all there fancy gear. They should spend less money to buy fancy equipment ,and more at the store if they need food that bad.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Thats a good one, Kevin! My wife noticed a strange smell! That reminds me of the time I knocked over a bottle of fox lure, in my truck, and the cap came off! My wife had to ride with the window down, the whole winter!  ::)

Ewwwwwww :sick:!!!   :roflmao:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Ralphus

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Although I agree with most that the real big sporty ones need to go back, I have a hard time with the ultra strict "catch and release" guys.  Freezing for 4 hours and coming home with a wet hiney and nothing else?  Give me something to strive for, even if its only the 6-8" panfish... I'll catch a meals worth (which for me is usually the entire day) then head for home, which in my opinion is preferable to hooking, fighting and releasing 50 and assume they'll live after being put back.  I hate that condesending "what's the bucket for?" look I get from some guys.  Just my opinion (I certainly respect yours)

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Although I agree with most that the real big sporty ones need to go back, I have a hard time with the ultra strict "catch and release" guys.  Freezing for 4 hours and coming home with a wet hiney and nothing else?  Give me something to strive for, even if its only the 6-8" panfish... I'll catch a meals worth (which for me is usually the entire day) then head for home, which in my opinion is preferable to hooking, fighting and releasing 50 and assume they'll live after being put back.  I hate that condesending "what's the bucket for?" look I get from some guys.  Just my opinion (I certainly respect yours)
                                                                                                                                                                                                               right on- you said a mouthfull ;D
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

MikeThePike

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:29 PM »
This is probably the most debated topic in fishing and everyones got their opinions and views on it. What I hate is when someone tries to force their views on other people though. I very rarely keep any fish from freshwater other than some perch. What really ticks me off though is when people catch fish and leave them out on the ice to be eaten by gulls or animals.

I saw this on 1 of my small private lakes with pickerel and I know it wouldn't be done by any of the residents. People come and do that and I have people yelling at me thats its private and I have to leave (when my parents own 3 properties within the community) because I have NJ plates on my truck still.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I'm out today on a good spot and this older guy asks if he can sit next to me. go right ahead I tell him. he sets up 20 feet from me and proceeds to throw his dink gills in the snow. "startin already" he mumbles.  " are you gonna eat those 3"gills" I ask. "humpf" says he.  I'm thinkin gills come in two sizes,small, and smaller. why kill all the little ones? " I'll put em back if it will make you feel better" says he. stuff him down his hole I'm thinking, then you'll feel better. "nope, you've been doin that your whole life, those ones wont make a difference". a**hole.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline ICEMAN 17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2005, 09:06 PM »
People wonder why some of us push catch and release.

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:42 PM »
As long as guys are within the law, it's nobodies business what fish they take home.
(wanton waste IS illegal). That's the reason that size and creel limits are set by PFC biologists.

I like to eat fish, and I make no apologies for that. I keep probably half a dozen bass a season between 12 and 15 inches, MAYBE one northern, and as many legal pickeral as I catch. Plus plenty of panfish. If someone doesn't like it, tough. I eat what I catch, and I don't break the law. Nothing ticks me off more than an anal catch and release fisherman looking down his nose at me because I eat one of "their" sacred green carp. Bah! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.