Author Topic: Got a GPS for my birthday  (Read 1175 times)

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got a GPS for my birthday
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:39 AM »
Just got a Lowrance Ifinder  h2o for my birthday from the girlfriend. I am pretty excited to use it and was wondering how many people have this unit and if you have used any of the mapping software that you can get for it such as freedom maps, map create etc....

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

lego101

Re: Got a GPS for my birthday
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Sorry about reply.... pushed wrong button .....I will try again .... purchase mapcreate 6 topo sofware....... it can be purchased bundled with SD card reader,power cord,and a 16MB memory card which is useless .... I use the 512 MB cards but others can be had.... depends upon what your needs are .......hope this helps.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Sturgeon: Sounds like that GF is a keeper---I have seen the Freedom maps and they are awesome,at the time I thought the only thing better would be a contour map.......Well! I think they are working on that, I read someplace that some are available now(seems to me they are a little pricey).
  The Freedom maps I was  looking at were for Canada and up until now we haven't had much available in the way of maps for central Canada. Enjoy that new GPS and take your GF fishing  ;)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I have the same unit and the thing works great. I have the freedom map, and boy is that ever detailed. It even shows 4x4 trails out in the middle of nowhere. I was quite supprised when I saw that on there. I marked a waypoint and it took me right to the spot within 6 inches. I use it only in advanced mode, you will find you have a lot more options in that mode and when you start using it that way, you will never go back to the simple mode.

Hope this helps,

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:58 AM »
She is a keeper. She actually likes going fishing with me. Lets me get out more often. I would also like contour maps, but the ones I see are mostly available in the US and I live in Canada as you guys do.

Thanks for the info..

Sturgeon

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:11 PM »
just got one myself sturgeon, I got a garmin xtrek cant wait to start using it.
        Jim

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:17 PM »
I hear those are great models too. My Father in-law wants one that is easy to use and I heard the etrex are easy to use. He had an old magellan and he hated it.

Sturgeon

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:04 PM »
I have the etrex legend and it is easy to use. I also have the Map Quest software. If I can do it anyone can... ;D

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2005, 04:08 PM »
I just picked up a Garmin Rino 120 today.... Seems simple enough to use, so I think my technically challenged mind will be able to handle it  :-\
Ray

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.