Author Topic: Dropper rigs- worth the hassle?  (Read 933 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dropper rigs- worth the hassle?
« on: Dec 02, 2020, 12:55 PM »
I jig for perch, and have tried adding a fly a foot or 2 above the bait. It makes sense to me that a split presentation, and 2 baits vs 1 should help, but I seem to catch the dropper on the underside of the ice when bringing in fish, and lose more due to that than I seem to pull in on the dropper fly. I was watching another video on the benefits of dropper rigs, and wondered if I must be doing something wrong.

?

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
Re: Dropper rigs- worth the hassle?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Anytime you have a another hook on your line, you have the propensity for it to hook onto the ice.  I have lost plenty of walleye because the stinger hook embedded into the underside of the ice.  I try not to use them unless the fish are really hitting short.  But, if that is the case, the stinger is in their mouth and not finding itself into the ice.  However, if the fish are on the stinger, there is a chance the regular hook could get hung up on you.  That is one of those things where you are damned of you do and if you don't.  I prefer to go with just the one hook and be done with it!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HPē FSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Use some kind of a flasher jig WITHOUT the hook 4-6 inches above your jig/bait/fly...

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2020, 05:12 PM »
I have tied on a second hook for gill fishing and have had some success.  However, I don't put it on a dropper per say.  I tie it directly on the line above the bottom hook.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I tie a small dropper to the hook of a larger spoon on 6" of leader, never had a problem with it

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:45 AM »
I had given dropper rigs a try at one point.  Well it worked but the hassle was not worth it for me.  Yeah the extra hook does have a tendency to hook up to other things.  If you use a heavier type of line to prevent tangles and such, then it's not that effective.  Use nice supple line that gets the bite, then always have a knot of things gets all kinked up. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:20 PM »
I tie a small dropper to the hook of a larger spoon on 6" of leader, never had a problem with it

Tried that today. I did get 2 fish on the dropper, and no snags at the hole.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:14 AM »
whenever i add a second fly or jig to my line, i keep the leader to it under 3 inches. any longer and it seems to tangle in my mainline anyways.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2020, 10:34 AM »
I have had luck with the chain droppers as well- lure them in with a big bait and give them a spec to nibble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.