Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820395 times)

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1770 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Looking for some ideas on using skis attached to the sides of a shanty tub which could be lowered or swung to the outside
Check out the sled mods thread under this one in equipment last page of that thread has what you're looking for

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1771 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Check out the sled mods thread under this one in equipment last page of that thread has what you're looking for

Thanks
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1772 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:48 AM »
has anyone tried doing away with hardware/pins to hold crossbars at their joints to the risers and just cut the wood to hold its self?

stand the crossbars so the skinny end faces up/down. cut out the crossbar half way near the end so it sits on top of the risers that are cut the same depth as the remaining crossbar sections. the straps to hold the cargo would make sure the joints don't come apart along with the weight. if the joints are too sloppy you could glue more wood on the inside of risers at the joints.

thinking how they used to do things before metal came to be.

jbird68

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #1773 on: Nov 21, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Making my first Smitty sled!  Anyone know how to remove riser plates from slalom skis?  Can’t find any screws..are they usually just glued on?  Just rip them off, or am I missing something?  The bindings came off easy, but these riser plates are annoying.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1774 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Making my first Smitty sled!  Anyone know how to remove riser plates from slalom skis?  Can’t find any screws..are they usually just glued on?  Just rip them off, or am I missing something?  The bindings came off easy, but these riser plates are annoying.

I had the same issues. First, they are not glued on...they are screwed in through the top of bindings. For the fronts, at least the ones I had, there is a "cap" at the front that moves to one side or the other, then you are able slide the binding forward off the base, which you then unscrew. There may be a thin, plastic cover over the base that will expose the screws. Just peel it off. As for the back, I know I had problems getting the bindings off, but they are removable...I just forgot how I did it. Hoped this helped a little anyway. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #1775 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »

yep something like that except stand the 2x4 up on the skinny to the riser instead of flat to make a stronger joint.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #1776 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:21 PM »
I had the same issues. First, they are not glued on...they are screwed in through the top of bindings. For the fronts, at least the ones I had, there is a "cap" at the front that moves to one side or the other, then you are able slide the binding forward off the base, which you then unscrew. There may be a thin, plastic cover over the base that will expose the screws. Just peel it off. As for the back, I know I had problems getting the bindings off, but they are removable...I just forgot how I did it. Hoped this helped a little anyway. Good luck.
Thanks, I’ll see if that works!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1777 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:59 PM »
After seeing Smitty's sled with wheels on it I rebuilt mine with 4x4 uprights. The front uprights are only 12" long and the backs are 18". I used 4x4's because I plan on using 5" casters on the back of the sled to move it over rough terrain. Thanks again Smitty for the ideas. Haven't got the casters yet but when I do I will post some pictures.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1778 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Here is the sled with wheels on it. I used Lag screws to hold them on. Pre drilled though.As you can see they don't touch the ground so they will still spins on the snow.

<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1779 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:02 PM »
How wide are the wheels you used?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1780 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:27 PM »
These are 5" Diameter. 1 3/8" Wide. Probably could have gone with a 2" wide for gravel areas. Time will tell.
<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1781 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. They look good on the smitty. A little wider might be ok?,did you also add the handles on the tip end, or just going to grab the end of the skis? let us know how they work for you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1782 on: Nov 24, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Just got done putting a handle on it.  I cut a piece of PVC pipe and ran a short rope through it that cradles in my arms(opposite side of Elbows)
 which is ran through the tip of the skis.Then another rope through the PVC for pulling it. Only tested in my shed since it was raining out. 
<===Lefty===

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #1783 on: Nov 26, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Here's my first Smitty sled -- pulled like a dream out on the snow.  I'm using ratchet straps to hold it on, and it doesn't seem to be sliding too much.  I might need something on the crossbars to reduce sliding, as others have said.  And maybe some bolts on the crossbars for a length-wise bungee.  Thanks again to Smitty!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1784 on: Nov 26, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Here's my first Smitty sled -- pulled like a dream out on the snow.  I'm using ratchet straps to hold it on, and it doesn't seem to be sliding too much.  I might need something on the crossbars to reduce sliding, as others have said.  And maybe some bolts on the crossbars for a length-wise bungee.  Thanks again to Smitty!
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks good BB.  Maybe try some spray on bed liner on the cross members. I think Advance Auto sells it but most auto parts stores should.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1785 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I got the sideways movement under control but I need to do something about moving front to back...bungees aren't cutting it. Maybe ratchet straps...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1787 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Exactly the kind I was thinking. Noessing around with the ratchets that will inevitably get ice In them.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1788 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:08 PM »
That's a beautiful "Smitty"......nice job! Tight Lines!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1789 on: Dec 08, 2018, 01:52 PM »
I added 4 pads, 2 per 2x4 cross brace, that fit in between the grooves on the sled.  I also glued some rubber gasket material on top of the pads to keep the sled from slipping.  It has absolutely no play side to side, and I use a couple of cam buckles to hold the sled in place to stop any front to back movement. Worked out pretty good.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1790 on: Dec 08, 2018, 03:29 PM »
That is one sweet ride...well done.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1791 on: Dec 08, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Alaska Mike, nice work on that sled..

I've found white skis work better than dark colors. When things are sitting around in the sun, they can start melting into the snow and ice then freezing up in clouds or at the end of the day. Sometimes just enough to have blowing snow to constantly stick a melt too.. Those issues never come up with white skis and other gear..

<°)))>{

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1792 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I have only been using the sled for a couple of years but so far I am very happy with it.  I was a little worried that the uprights I built to put the hub shelter on would make it top heavy, but I have done some side hilling  and it was stable.  Probably because I put the skis out wide, like a wide tracking Pontiac.  I am glad I did build the uprights though as it organized the sled so I can get at any one thing when it is fully loaded.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline skep419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1793 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:26 PM »

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #1794 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:41 AM »

I built 2 smitty sleds this off season. I see same issues with sliding on sled. I may put some pieces of that traction sticker stuff just enough to hold sled in place.aybe 4 corner of smitty to start. I'll use ratchet straps or yak straps to keep secure.

I put eyebolts on the cross beams to secure front to back. Hopefully it will work.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1795 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:37 PM »
I put cleats on my cross beams that fit between the runners on the jet sled. That stopped the lateral movement. Then  I put In two eye bolts. One in the front beam and one in the back and then strap down to these. Sled can't go anywhere now when it's on uneven ground or loading and unloading.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #1796 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I had a rubber door mat that I cut a couple of strips and put on my cross pieces.  Im thinking that should stop any movement.  Cant wait to try it out.  Also painted everything bright red.  Was thinking white, but that would match the snow, and if we get a white out, and, well,,,im thinking red will be easier to find!!   ;D

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1797 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I am trying to get on the smitty wagon, just having tough time finding skies less than $20!
Salvation Army, Goodwill and Play it Again Sports have nothing less than $20

I am also going to attempt to re-purpose 1.5" golf club tubes to rack/stack HT polars and jigging rods. All I should need are fittings to frame it up.

I appreciate the great ideas everyone on this thread have shared!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1798 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:18 AM »
I am trying to get on the smitty wagon, just having tough time finding skies less than $20!
Salvation Army, Goodwill and Play it Again Sports have nothing less than $20

I am also going to attempt to re-purpose 1.5" golf club tubes to rack/stack HT polars and jigging rods. All I should need are fittings to frame it up.

I appreciate the great ideas everyone on this thread have shared!
if you haven't already, try putting a wanted ad  on Craigslist

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1799 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:20 AM »
if you haven't already, try putting a wanted ad  on Craigslist

Tbern, i am actually doing that right now. Do you have a camera on me? don't give about my coordinates!

Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.