Author Topic: Do inline reels make a difference?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do inline reels make a difference?
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 01:43 PM »
I love my spinning setups and I still will carry them but man do I hate line twist with small jigs. I fish mainly gills and perch 30 fow or less. Do inline reels make a huge difference?

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do inline reels make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Depends!  I have both kinds.  I think if you are fishing more than 10-12 feet deep, it makes a difference.  Much faster to get the jig back down and as you noted fewer tangles. However, if you are using 2lb test "invisible" line you would be amazed at how even the in-lines can mess you up if you are not paying attention.  Also the in-lines are not cheap and some have a bad track record of breaking or being broken right out of the box. (do a search on the Shanty box at the top of the page for lots of info and reviews)

An alternative is to use a cheap fly reel. It works great until you start going deep. Going deep, If I use my spinning reels, I tie on the smallest ball bearing swivels I can find and tie on a 12-18 inch 2-4 lb. test leader to the jig. It lets me use heavier (easier to see) line in the spinning reel and does not seem to spook the pannies.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:07 PM »
In my opinion, yes. The first time you drop your jig down after spooling the line there will be no twists. As soon as you jig that lure, it will want to spin (no lure is perfect) and wallah- a line twist. Then a bluegill will bite that jig (they don't care if it spins usually) and when you reel it in to see your prize, wallah 50 more line twists. Then you unhook your bait and drop it down and as its falling, guess what? More line twists as 99% of ice lures will spin a couple times when falling.

That was my beat around the bush way of saying, no.. real world it doesn't make a darn bit of difference.

The only way you are going to make a difference is to use a schooley type reel and have about 20 rods on you to keep switching through as you get line twist, then respool or straighten the line when you are done fishing..  like some of the pros do.

If I find fish that are SO NEGATIVE that my slightly spinning jig is spooking them off, I'm going home.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:40 PM »
In 20' of water or less, I use Schooley reels spooled with 2# test line. When fishing deeper or using small spoons,  I use my spinning outfits. If the panfish bite is aggressive then I don't think it matters.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I fish a lot with a camera. Reels don't make much difference. Initially the lure will spin a little but not much. Jigging makes the bait spin more than the reel.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:28 PM »
In most cases, it's not a much of a difference.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:48 PM »
I just don't get the need for an inline reel. People have been jigging with spinning reels for 70 years without a problem. The line twist phenomenon is nothing new.  I doubt that someone with an inline magically catches more  fish than I do with a spinning reel. Also, I believe, as previously mentioned, that jigging causes more line twist than the reel. I just don't think it is worth the expense and hassle of buying and using an inline. If you are worried about line twist, you could just drop the jig down and let it sit for a minute and unravel.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:46 PM »

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I just don't get the need for an inline reel. People have been jigging with spinning reels for 70 years without a problem. The line twist phenomenon is nothing new.  I doubt that someone with an inline magically catches more  fish than I do with a spinning reel. Also, I believe, as previously mentioned, that jigging causes more line twist than the reel. I just don't think it is worth the expense and hassle of buying and using an inline. If you are worried about line twist, you could just drop the jig down and let it sit for a minute and unravel.

If you fish both side by side you'll see that in-line absolutely results in minimal jig spinning compared to a spinning reel.

And no thanks, i'm not going to sit around for a minute every time my jig is spinning around. So much lost fishing time.

Just because people have caught fish forever without something doesn't mean you can improve it. People caught fish for years without electronics, power augers, GPS to mark spots, etc. No question that you are going to catch more fish with better equipment and technology, all else being equal

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:30 AM »
I've found based on testimony, underwater video, and my own experience that you get less line twist with an inline.  But it will still twist, just not as much.  I think lure spin is a definitely problem, and I want to do everything I can to minimize it. 

I generally fish 18-30' and the heavily pressured crappie here often bite very light, so I run a 3lb braided main line to a micro swivel to 2lb flouro.  My jig definitely spins way less than my friends' jigs do.  I can reel mine up from 20' and it might spin one or maybe two times while holding it in the hole.  My friends' jigs will spin many times.

I will say that an inline is more likely to freeze up, especially if it you lay it down in the slop, but I prefer them over spinning tackle for my conditions.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:00 AM »
inline reels may make a smidge of difference but not worth all the other irritations they come with.  they can not stop all spin.  catch 3 or 4 fish with one and now you have plenty of spin.  is it as a bad a spinning real with its drag set too loose?  no not at all.  do fish seem to mind?  most of the time, no. 

comparitively, their drags are nonexistant or not great, their drop rates are terrible, line still finds a way to get back behind the spool.  they work sure, but I used almost everyone i could get my hands on for 3 years and went back to spinning. 

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Buy one and decide for yourself.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:37 PM »
If you want a good reason for using an in-line reel, try using a spinning reel loaded with braid. That's where the line twist starts.
in-line reels don't create line twist, so unless your jig is so out-of-whack that it spins like a top on the way down, you will not get much twist.
The down side is that in-line reels generally have a 1:1 ratio compared to 1.5-2.5:1 ratio for spinning reels.

Both reels have their place and uses, and it's up to the individual angler to decide if they want to use them.

Me, I have both and I may use both on every trip. Heck, sometimes I want to try a different presentation / feel of the lure while jigging.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:03 AM »
When the fish are biting...they don't care what you're using.

There are tricks that one will learn with using an inline reel that most will not even bother with while using a spinning reel.  These are rare situations where inline reels makes the difference.  It's not as much as the tool but actually in the skill of using your tool.

If you have to make a descending jigging presentation, the inline will do it far better than a spinning reel.  That's if you're familiar with working your inline reel to gradually increase line.  It's actually a unique advantage to like fly reels, schooley type of spools.  Yes you can do it with a spinning reel too, but you have to be familiar with the adjusting of your reel and do it efficiently.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.