The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing near Faribault  (Read 3484 times)

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing near Faribault
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Anyone know if there is safe ice in this area?  A family member recently got a cabin on Roberds Lake and I can use it whenever I want to ice fish.  I haven't fished Roberds before, normally fish French Lake down the road.  Hopefully there is safe ice and I can plan a trip soon.

Thanks in advance for your information.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing near Faribault
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:50 PM »
Wait a few weeks, we have 2 inches of water on the ice as well as rain coming down right now......Let me know when you come up. I fish the area regularly I can let you know whats goin on for a bite...

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Much appreciated.  I'll follow up with you next week and see if you think it's safe.  Dec. 21st-22nd are looking like the days I'll have off and would like to come up if possible.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Sounds good, Today is the last day I will drive by on a daily basis so I will get you a report of what I see tonight most likely. But lastnight it was looking kinda sketchy......there was one guy out straight off the landing. Still raining here as well......

Offline Sifty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:53 PM »
I was by Lonsdale on Sat. and found only 4 inches of ice.

This rain is really causing some problems.
A friend went out last night and had a bunch of water on top of the ice.

Sifty

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:47 PM »
if we get cold before you come up you might be fine, but it was looking pretty nasty when I drove by tonight.......

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:27 PM »
UGH!  Thanks for keeping me updated guys.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Pending ice, our plans are set.  HND & I will be leaving late on Wed. night so we can fish all day Thursday & Friday, and drive back Friday evening. 

I'll get a hold of you Monday/Tuesday to see what it looks like.  If we are able to make it, maybe we can hook up and fish together.  It's always nice to meet new people from the site.  I'll PM you my phone number next week.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:34 AM »
I go here:
Johns Bait & Tackle
19826 Roberds Lake Boulevard, Faribault, MN 55021
(507) 332-6787

They have a pretty good selection of tackle, bait seems good, and will usually have good up to date info on ice and fishing reports.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Thanks dcs!

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:17 PM »
johns is deffinetly better and cheaper than the shieldsville gas station or nagels....He can also get you on a bite most of the time. I may be able to get out with you guys later in the week. Sounds like a plan..

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:01 AM »
How's the ice looking?  My cousin said he heard people have been out on French, so I'm hoping the ice looks good.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:02 PM »
i got one report this morning from french and it was 6 inches, i think 4 is more realistic but havent been out to check myself. Mazaska and shilds lake are giving up crappies. the bay on shields was giving more than zaska..

Offline Schulzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:25 PM »
There are a few small houses on Roberts, French, Mazaska and Shields today as I took a scouting drive around.  Heard panfish were doing good on Roberts.

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Good to hear, this should help us first timers find the fish!

Thanks, can't wait to get on the ice tomorrow!

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:05 PM »
We didn't do real great on Roberds, but since it was the first time ever fishing there we couldn't complain.  We came out with a few keepers, mix bag of Gills & Perch.  We threw back around a dozen small Walleyes, and lost a 17"+ Walleye when it broke the line at the hole.

We switched over to French today and did really well.  We caught around 16 Crappie, almost all were keepers.  The ice is thick, 5"-8" everywhere we checked.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2011, 03:54 PM »
That is what I wanted to hear.  At least on the ice you found.  We are going next week Monday, and/or Tuesday.  Might hit some of the other lakes in the area like Fox, Hunt, or KD.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:05 PM »
That is what I wanted to hear.  At least on the ice you found.  We are going next week Monday, and/or Tuesday.  Might hit some of the other lakes in the area like Fox, Hunt, or KD.

You should be fine, But I did hear of a Big crack that formed on french, heard it was only about an Inch but still use caution. I was on a south metro lake yesterday in the warm and wind and it was pretty soft on top by the time we came off......Im only about 20 miles north of the faribo area so im assuming it was the same down there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.