The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Indiana Guy that needs Some Bwca Help  (Read 514 times)

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
Indiana Guy that needs Some Bwca Help
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I fish all the time in the boundary waters during open water times, and im thinking about venturing up to my hot spots here during the hard water season, My main question is how thick does the ice get up there and would i be killing my self not bringing a power auger??
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Indiana Guy that needs Some Bwca Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:42 PM »
The thickness of the ice in the BWCA is something you won't have to worry about Skinnybenny! I live in Warroad right by Lake of the Woods and we have from 12 to 14" of ice on most of the lake. The BWCA is even farther north than we are so it should be even colder than it is here. Our weather forecast for tonight is calling for a temperature of -25! Better wear your snuggie's or you might freeze your cojone's off! I wish I was going with you! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:36 PM »
There are lakes you can get into without dealing with the no motors stuff... Gunflint lake is one of them. There are some places to stay up there besides  state park campgrounds too. I have camped at Gunflint Pines Resort in the summer a couple times, but they advertise open year round. It was priced right and right on the lake. There is the gunflint lodge too, allot nicer, WAY more expensive.

I was talking to a couple locals that said they do pretty good ice fishing Lakers on Gunflint.

It is a border water, I don't remember how they do licensing if you cross to the Canadian side of the lake..

Absolutely beautiful up there.... It is an absolutely beautiful drive from Duluth all the way up to Grand Marais and up the Gunflint trail! :) Take me with you!!! ;)   

As far as the ice goes, call ahead. We are all on the thin side of normal right now, but that can change quickly with the lack of snow cover.

Offline Elyicenut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Ice in the Ely area  of the bw is safe pretty much every where but a couple spots on Burntside. There driving on Snowbank. Most of the trout lakes in the area have been pretty constant so far this year.

Offline splakeshaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Someday...She'll understand.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:05 PM »
I just drilled thru 20+ inch of ice today outside of Ely.. Gunflint just froze over a couple weeks ago. Depends where you're going.
If it wasn't for trout fishin', my wife would have a husband.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.