The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Who's ready for some ice ?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Who's ready for some ice ?
« on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:48 PM »
After sitting out most of the winter last year i'm more then ready to hit the ice in hopes of not falling though this winter .. ::) ;D
Hard Ice

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Who's ready for some ice ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Boy, am I ever ready!!!! Hope the bite is one h**L of a lot better than it was last year!!! :%$#!:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:54 PM »
wasn't the bite any good last year ??
Hard Ice

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Only 79 days if we get walkable ice at the same time as last year. I am ready! :thumbsup:

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Who on IS this time of the year ( or really anytime for that matter ) isn't ready for ice?  My thoughts from the way the weather's been acting in NJ, early fall and winter.  Some leaves and acorns are already on the ground.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Who on IS this time of the year ( or really anytime for that matter ) isn't ready for ice?  My thoughts from the way the weather's been acting in NJ, early fall and winter.  Some leaves and acorns are already on the ground.
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks to all the snow last year along with wind everyday, it didn't get out very much last year. I sure hope this year is better. And YES i am ready.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2010, 07:57 AM »
wasn't the bite any good last year ??

Down here it sure wasn't...hit all of our summer spots and then some...nothin'....numerous times. Headed up to spot #2.. White Bear.  10 million people up there in the last 2 years...hit more spots on the Zumbro down here...zip.
A lot of buddies said the same thing, worst year they had.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:52 PM »
I think I was out 50-60 times on 13 different lakes and they pretty much all sucked.  For the most part everyone I talked to said it was a "tough" winter as far as fishing went.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that guys, Out of 7 different lakes we hit last year, we only fished one that was real slow. Its my fault for not getting a better map of that particular lake. Overall the fishing was pretty good, some better than others. I've increased my winter catch rates dramatically by scouting the lakes that I plan to icefish, during the summer to locate structure, food sources and spawning areas. This strategy has helped me eliminate unproductive water and find the fish easier and I can stay on them longer. This may sound excessive to some, but it helps me put more fish on the ice. My 2 cents .

P.S. I've been ready since last March 31st, when our season closed !  :'(

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Last hard water season was pretty difficult.  Not one walleye for this guy, had to wait for summer opener to catch one!  Got into some nice crappies once at the lake down the road, that's it!  Usually we hammer them, nobody in that spot was catching any.  Another lake known for producing some nice gills didn't produce either.  It was weird, everyone I talked to here had a tough time.  I am ready this year, this summer has been a pretty good walleye year so I hope that transfers into a really good winter.   

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2010, 06:47 PM »
ready for ice?  I'm already checking the extended forecasts trying to figure out when the first frost will hit.  If it wasn't for a freezer waiting to be filled with fall meat I'd end up in a pysch ward before ice comes
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:18 PM »
But winter is going to come sooner this year then it did last year or the year before.. and snow up to your a.. well you get my point ..
Hard Ice

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I'm Def ready for some ice, shouldn't  be much longer for me a couple months  ;D

Offline Chevy_94

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see this year round"
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2010, 02:41 PM »
All I know is that last year was pretty crappy for the maiden voyage of my homemade shanty. The week that i was able to get it out we got a ton of snow and wasn't able to get it out until after walleye season was over :%$#!: so hopefully this year will be better. I am looking at getting a eskimo pop up cube this year. My other homemade 4 x 8 portable is getting a little too heavy to be lugging by myself.

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I'm ready to go.  We just got an 8 x 18 wheel house, so we'd better get some ice soon. 

On a related note, if anyone knows of anyone looking for an 8 x 12 wheel house, I have one just sitting around. 
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline naclarkk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I'm ready to go.  We just got an 8 x 18 wheel house, so we'd better get some ice soon. 

On a related note, if anyone knows of anyone looking for an 8 x 12 wheel house, I have one just sitting around. 

I am, can you tell me more?

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Shoot me an email [email protected] and I'll send you some pictures and a description.
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I'm ready! Got my first shack (just a clam base camp as I don't have a truck, so I can throw it in my car's trunk) and I'm eager for some ice. Heading to a sale saturday.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:57 PM »
mmm...Duck Opener is this weekend so I'm pretty focused on that but once we get to the end of October I'm for sure ready for ice...(it makes duck hunting that much better when the little ponds are locked up) :)  But yeah, i'm looking forward to going to the ice show this year since i have to buy a new tarp and poles for my fish house...maybe it will have that new fish house smell again :)

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:17 PM »
But yeah, i'm looking forward to going to the ice show this year since i have to buy a new tarp and poles for my fish house...maybe it will have that new fish house smell again :)

Where is the Ice show this year??

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Where is the Ice show this year??

The Ice Show is at RiverCentre every year; first weekend of December.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:56 PM »
The Ice Show is at RiverCentre every year; first weekend of December.
I figured that's where it would be, I've never been but I'll definitely be checking that out this year!! Thanks!

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I figured that's where it would be, I've never been but I'll definitely be checking that out this year!! Thanks!
if you've never been you HAVE to go!!! it's a terrible place where no matter how much money you bring you always wish that you had about $20,000 more! plus....you'll get to meet Skipper! you won't regret going to the ice fishing show unless you bring people who aren't as into it as you...

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Oh the lady is staying at home!!  ;D I talked to my buddy who's big into ice fishing, and he wants to go too. He's been, but not for a few years!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2010, 09:34 PM »
It's worth going, especially if you live near the cities.  Even if you don't buy anything, it's cool to see the latest and greatest in ice fishing.  Lots of good deals on gear and good seminars too.

Offline laweidauer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Duck hunting is getting me by, but these warm temps are making for tough duck hunting and not bringing on the ice any sooner.  Definitely ready for ice, hopefully by early December.  I'm with most of you guys that fishing was terrible last year and with all the snow it was tough getting around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.