Author Topic: dead stick  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
dead stick
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 PM »
I'm looking at picking up a dead stick or 2.  My question is does anybody have any suggestions or can compare the frabill vs Mr Walleye?  Mr walleye has two versions so kinda curious how the frabill compares.   Looking at using them for small jigs or spoons for swimming minnows.
]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: dead stick
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Never used the Mr Walleye rods so I can't comment on them. I do have a TB Power Noodle, Frabill QT 27" and JM Meatstick 24". The Power Noodle is on a different level and lighter than both others a little too light for what you want to do. The Frabill is a nicer rod than the JM rod IMO. I would recommend the Frabill Bro 27" Quick Tip. Quality is very good for the price and it has some some real good backbone to handle a large fish. It is my deadstick or float rod for minnows and one of my favorite rods.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Hmmm...didn't consider the qt.  I have a power noodle and yeah that lil to soft for what I want to do.  Plus don't really need a $70+ dead stick. Both the frabill and roach rods are same price at 30 bucks.  Pretty tempted to try the lighter roach and see...want a 1/8oz lure to bend it some. 
]

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Sorry cannot comment on Mr Walleye rods but I did look at and test the Bro Series 28" deadstick rod at Fleet Farm. It has a very soft tip and looks like pretty good backbone.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I use just about any rod to deadstick.  My preferred rod is an UL Shakespeare Cajun (no longer made).  I don't own a Frabill deadstick rod but I was impressed by how it feels in the store.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 02:52 PM »
I've been using the Frabill QT since they came out... Love 'em!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Fenwick's Elite Tech UL has a very soft tip; it held dead stick duty well today...  :)
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Found I really loved using a bait caster as my dead stick .....

I bought a bait caster rod and real last year and found it is beyond my ability to use it on soft water ....

But on the Ice it is deadly paired with a Stiff Medium rod,  Fluorocarbon line, Ice buster float cut to neutral ... and a slip bobber stop.

Been running a minnow tail hooked with a red snelled hook with a couple chartreuse beads and a tiny worm weight ...... Very clean presentation.

With the bail open the pay out is uninhibited and I was able to hammer the perch as they drifted my bobber under ....
Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I've been using the Frabill QT since they came out... Love 'em!

X2 Great backbone and it basically has a built in spring bobber w/o the annoying sping bobber
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.