Author Topic: Lake Herring  (Read 1061 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
Lake Herring
« on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:47 PM »
 Does anyone jig Lake Herring? If so, how?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Lake Herring
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I fish for them.  Our fish are typically 16" - 22" and probably run larger than what I hear of other places.  Typically, but not always, it's a sight fishing game for the fish cruising in the top 20' of water.  Below that, it's normal jigging.  I use smaller Swedish Pimples (plain) predominately, but also Halis with grubs, and as of this year, small jigheads with microplastics at times.  White, silver and glow green are my three favorite colors.  Eratic/big movements tend to bring them in and then a frantic quiver gets them to strike.  When watching, look for their gill plates to flair and strike at the flair.  Don't wait for a thump on your line or you'll probably miss the strike.  When they come in massive schools they tend to be much more finicky than onesies and twosies.  This year they seem to be running deeper in the column than years past so sight fishing is a little more difficult.  Oh, and if there's a current in the water, more often than not, they run into the current.  Hope this helps. 
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.