Author Topic: 13 Fishing  (Read 4541 times)

Offline ira-akrfc

• IceShanty Rookie
13 Fishing
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Saw these first while browsing ebay. Anybody have any experience with these? Comments? Reviews?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 13 Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:15 PM »
the name of the company doesn't help. which one are you looking at.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Over rated JUNK....

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I own the wicked model and would recommend it to any one. Pretty sweet and sensative rod for 29.99.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:33 PM »
The inline combos snd these black betty reels seem to be a passing trend but I've had no question of quality with my wicked.

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I have the whiteout and it has a light rod tip with great backbone. Good rod and reel combo and I like the feel of it.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:47 PM »
I bought 2 Black Betty's this year. I'll let you know as soon as I can get out on the ice to try em' out!
:icefish:

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:13 PM »
have not used these but just looking at them in the store i liked what i saw.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:19 PM »
NEVER HEARD OF IT.
Master Laker taker.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:28 PM »
i have both reels and a med 28" to match the 6061 reel and a 27 UL for the other , we shall see
and hard stuff you call it over rated junk, have you used any of these to make an informed decision ? 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Dumb question coming ahead fellas. I haven't researched these reels much or no very little about tight lining. My question is since these reels are basically fly reels do you put backing on or just normal icefishing line on them?
Fish on!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:10 PM »
They had nice action, but in the end I preferred the action on my Jason Mitchell rods so I stayed with them.  I was initially excited for the BB reel, but after playing with it for a while I decided I'll stick with spinners for the moment.

It's a nice lineup, just not for me.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Dumb question coming ahead fellas. I haven't researched these reels much or no very little about tight lining. My question is since these reels are basically fly reels do you put backing on or just normal icefishing line on them?
put backing on to maximize the retrive i'm only using mine for walleyes

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Looking forward to using mine as well...the company makes quality stuff...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:35 PM »
I love my 6061, well made quality reel, also love my 19" Wicked sight rod for gills, havent been out deep yet to try out the
White Out but I'm sure I will be pleased with it to.... Much nicer rods than my JM's and good enough quality that they cured my hunger for more TB rods....

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Another cool thing is they sent me a free hat too... ;D

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:55 PM »
 I picked up a black betty 27" ul and a white out 28" light action today, Hope I can try them out this weekend, They are a very nice!!

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Don't believe the hype....Its a over priced fad because fishing stores dont make money off of a $4 schooley reel that does the same thing...Ask a REAL tight liner what they use..These things are made from cast aluminum you can buy a quality machined fly reel for the same price....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Don't believe the hype....Its a over priced fad because fishing stores dont make money off of a $4 schooley reel that does the same thing...Ask a REAL tight liner what they use..These things are made from cast aluminum you can buy a quality machined fly reel for the same price....

Quality fly reels I looked at we 5X what a 6061 was....Even my Okuma SLV while by no means a high end fly reel was still in the $60 range and does not have the capabilities of the 6061, fact no fly reel I have seen has a free spool function....

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:24 PM »
The Black Betty is $39.95 from a sponsor or two of ours!! You won't find quality machined fly reels for that!! It depends on your preference and your budget. I have a Black Betty on a Wicked rod and see no need for backing as on a fly reel!! The arbor is fairly shallow and made to be filled with mono or flouro line The new inline style reels also have a longer foot like on a spinning reel, which helps when wearing gloves. They have their place in an ice fisherman's arsenal and are worth a look if you are doing any tight lining!! That's just my unbiased $.02 worth on the subject!! ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Over rated JUNK....

Damn guess I spent 115 buck for junk...... why do you say they are junk?  They seam pretty darn nice to me, better then any of the jigg sticks in the store......

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:23 AM »
The $40 black betty reel loosens the spool as you decrease the drag setting, resulting in a wobbly spool. I returned the two i purchased after unboxing them and realizing this. I then bought two slv 2/3's and really like them alot. If i purchase any more straightline reels, they will be a #0 tfo or orvis fly reel (they are $130 & $150, but are works of art and one is 2.1 oz and the other is 3.7oz).

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:25 AM »
That being said, i have never handled the black betty 6061 but bet it is a nice reel. I would be interested in one maybe, but not unless i could go into a store and try it out first.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:32 AM »
I just bought a white out 28" med combo this year.  I drueled over it all last year and pulled the trigger this year.  I would consider these rods far from over priced junk.  Pick one up and you can feel how nice it is.  How will it hold up?  Ill tell you when I get back from bay of quinte because I plan on yanking on 10lb walleyes with it. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:01 AM »
The Black Betty is $39.95 from a sponsor or two of ours!! You won't find quality machined fly reels for that!! It depends on your preference and your budget. I have a Black Betty on a Wicked rod and see no need for backing as on a fly reel!! The arbor is fairly shallow and made to be filled with mono or flouro line The new inline style reels also have a longer foot like on a spinning reel, which helps when wearing gloves. They have their place in an ice fisherman's arsenal and are worth a look if you are doing any tight lining!! That's just my unbiased $.02 worth on the subject!! ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
well on 6061 i'm using fireline and have no need of 200 + yrds on it for eyes , and on the other black betty i put on some backing and put on 125yrd spool of three lb i should have put more backing on it what a waste of line for pans IMO

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:06 AM »
I got maybe 50' of 3# on my gill reel ( SLV) about 200' on my 6061, no need for more than that and a spool of line will last a couple seasons....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:13 AM »
I got maybe 50' of 3# on my gill reel ( SLV) about 200' on my 6061, no need for more than that and a spool of line will last a couple seasons....
no kidding, i won't make that mistake with the 6061 i only use 50 yrds for eyes , i'm going to respool the little one geeze, i must have had a poor spell  ;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I only use my SLV to 15 or so feet the 6061 will be used down to 50' only put on what I need, can always add more if needed just strip to the backing and add new....I do the same on my spinning combos to but only use Flouro or Mono not a fan of superlines other than on my muskie reels and bottom bouncer set ups for eyes.....although I do have Nano on 1 open water spinning setup for casting X Raps and only since I got it free...Nano frays real bad but other than that a good casting line just have to watch for frays...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 AM »

i troll with fireline for eyes  , but jig with power pro high vis with trans optic leader ,

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Guys from Tampa FL laughing all the way to the bank because they found a nitch in the market....ha ha suckers!!!! bet they know every thing about icefishing down there!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.