Author Topic: good settings for garmin striker 5 plus  (Read 7963 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
good settings for garmin striker 5 plus
« on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:20 AM »
So i bought a garmin striker 5 plus to try out the graph style fishing.however i dont like fiddling with features and settings to mark fish.anybody have some basic settings that work good? i figure turn ascope on and traditional graph.going to be strange looking at a crisp screen and no blinking lights like my vexilars.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: good settings for garmin striker 5 plus
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I'm curious to see what you think of using the graph modes versus the flasher - I have a Garmin Echomap unit but still prefer using my Vex. With the A-Scope turned on I find myself staring/focusing on that far right side of the screen and it gets tiring on the eyes.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Yeah im hoping it will be a little better on the eyes staring at it from sun up to sundown over a vex.ive had a showdown troller before so im familiar with the ascope style feature.im not sure if i can run the graph,flasher and ascope at the same time.i dont have the unit in my hands yet.i figure it can go on the boat if i dont like it and run the vexilars on ice.i bought the ice bundle so i better like it or i will have to buy a open water ducer for it.$319 for the garmin striker 5 plus ice bundle seemed like a decent price for the features it has.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2019, 03:25 AM »
Can't speak to the grmin, but on my helix ice five I get all three views on one screen.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2019, 05:50 AM »
I have the Garmin striker 5 for ice fishing I love it I started out ice fishing with the striker 4 and upgraded to the 5 beginning of last year

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I have the Garmin striker 5 for ice fishing I love it I started out ice fishing with the striker 4 and upgraded to the 5 beginning of last year
so setup is relatively easy and can most features be kept in auto mode?im a vexilar guy and like hitting the power button and start fishing.but im willing to try the graph style finders.should be easier to stare at all day compared to a vexilar.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:57 AM »
like anything else, it takes practice to learn something new. i don't have one to help set up a basic guideline, but did go to you tube and found a newbie using one and it looks straight forward.

check the 7 min mark unless you want to watch an unboxing segment.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:08 AM »
like anything else, it takes practice to learn something new. i don't have one to help set up a basic guideline, but did go to you tube and found a newbie using one and it looks straight forward.

check the 7 min mark unless you want to watch an unboxing segment.

yep ive watched every video on YouTube about the striker 5..im ready and it looks pretty easy to dial in.think that was the vid with kid catching bass and pickerel with raisins.

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:50 AM »
when i get home i can check my striker 5 and post my settings

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:52 AM »
when i get home i can check my striker 5 and post my settings
sweet !thanks.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I’m out right now with my Striker 4, and while I don’t have as many options as the 5 to play with, here’s what I’m using currently:

-Split Zoom window on Manual.
-A-Scope on.
-Scrolling at Medium speed.
-Gain on manual-will vary depending on conditions.  I tried Auto Low gain, but I was having some issues with it being dialed up too much.  It’s easy to switch between them.
-Transducer type set on GT8HW, I’m using the High-Wide ice transducer, set on the narrowest cone.
-Noise Rejection on Low

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I’m out right now with my Striker 4, and while I don’t have as many options as the 5 to play with, here’s what I’m using currently:

-Split Zoom window on Manual.
-A-Scope on.
-Scrolling at Medium speed.
-Gain on manual-will vary depending on conditions.  I tried Auto Low gain, but I was having some issues with it being dialed up too much.  It’s easy to switch between them.
-Transducer type set on GT8HW, I’m using the High-Wide ice transducer, set on the narrowest cone.
-Noise Rejection on Low
nice,ive heard ultra scroll tames down screen delay/lag on graph but I haven’t used it yet.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:48 AM »
It does, but it’s almost imperceptible even at medium speed.  It’s really noticeable at slow though.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:44 AM »
So i got some ice time with the garmin striker 5 yesterday.ran it for about 8hrs.i basically turned it on and manually set the gain to around 65% and fished with it with ascope on so it was easy to setup and didnt really have to fiddle with settings.the graph is great and clear,however the flasher mode is kind of glitchy and bottom is never steady like my vexilars.flasher mode is nowhere in the same league as a true flasher imo.also the interference rejection is decent but doesn’t like running next to other flashers but it wasn’t so bad that i couldnt tell what was going on.one another thing is constantly wiping off the screen in the snow or rain.other than that the graph is pretty nice and was my first time using one.but i   think my vexilars still my choice for ice fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.