Author Topic: Vexilar split shot test  (Read 9051 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar split shot test
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:45 PM »
So your saying nobody will compare their unit with your unit?   :o :o :o

Offer stands to anyone....As fas as Hamms they replaced it, I had to send 2 of the Vex's I owned back and both cost me money to have fixed neither was more than 5 years old, have not had to send in any of the 4 Marcum products I own or used to own one is at least 7 years old whatever the fist year of the LX-5 was....I did have a bad charger on my camera I bought used and even told Marcum it was bought used and they still sent me a brand new charger for free...

As already stated all Vex units except the 22 have 2.68" seperation, the 22 is close to 1" but not quite...Still dontmatch up to the LX-5 and not even in the same world as the 6/7/9....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:49 PM »
I sure am glad that this informative post turned into a "Mine is better than yours" debate.

If I could ask a silly question. Just how do you know that the mark on the unit is 1 or 2 fish? Is this your interpretation or are you actually able to confirm that statement?

Since the conception of the flasher unit it has always been the readers interpretation of the signal. Before the multicolor units came out it was the width of the signal on the screen that had to be interpreted as far as size goes. The 3 color units that are used today take a little of the interpretation out of it , but the basics are still there. Unless you have a camera down to actually see the fish than knowing exactly what your seeing is nothing more than an educated guess. Even with a camera down under the ice you don't know if the signal that you're reading is what the camera is showing.   

Most of the posts on here about these subjects are nothing more than someones opinion and without any scientific data to back them up.

The funny thing about it all is that the guy that uses the Lowrance Little Green Box that was made in the sixties can tell you the same as the guy that uses either top of the line units made today.

For me it's easy I can look down the hole and see if it's 1-3 or 5 fish...Most times I dont use it then but have enough to learn exactly what it tells me so I know for sure what I'm reading when I do need it....Exapample last week walleye fishing after dark, my LX-7 my partners FL-8 mine showed 3 eyes below us his showed 1, he caught the 1 and still showed 1 but mine showed 2, I caught 1 his showed 1 yet and so did mine....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 PM »
This post is no more informative than the last 3 or 4 times the video was posted here. What did you expect?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:57 PM »
"Most of the posts on here about these subjects are nothing more than someones opinion and without any scientific data to back them up. "
That was only my opinion and i'll stick with this unit. I like that others use different stuff it is what makes the world go around. ;)  Happy fishing
Fishin red lines

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:58 PM »
The Video shows a target separation of 1 inch and Esox_Magnum still wont say it has 1 inch seperation. the FL 22 and The FL 20 both have 1 inch target separation.  1 inch is 1 inch 1.2 inches is not quite 1 inch. I still own a LX3 tc and my Vexilar
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Kinda wasted your money if your going to stick your head down the hole anyway.

Your last statement is just what I'm talking about. Your buddy didn't see 3 fish, but once he caught 1 of them there was still a mark on his screen.

It's all interpretation

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:01 PM »
According to Vex the 20 is 2.68 and thats about what we found it to be at best...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:01 PM »
The Video shows a target seperation of 1 inch and Esox_Magnum still wont say it has 1 inch seperation. the FL 22 and The FL 20 both have 1 inch target seperation.  1 inch is 1 inch 1.2 inches is not quite 1 inch. I still own a LX3 tc and my Vexilar

Fl-20 is 2.65" target separation and 1" target ID.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Kinda wasted your money if your going to stick your head down the hole anyway.

Your last statement is just what I'm talking about. Your buddy didn't see 3 fish, but once he caught 1 of them there was still a mark on his screen.

It's all interpretation

I could see his screen looked like 1 to me but mine showed 3 distinct fish....By knowing theres more than one allows you to decide what one may be the bigger and target that one or if they are all 3 dinks and not worth it to try and catch...

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:05 PM »
have not had to send in any of the 4 Marcum products I own or used to own one is at least 7 years old whatever the fist year of the LX-5 was....I did have a bad charger on my camera I bought used and even told Marcum it was bought used and they still sent me a brand new charger for free....

You seem to contradict yourself often......so which is it?   You've never had to send one in or

shaley   December 11 2009 09:48PM   

My last LX I got was bad out of the box, had a new one to my door with a shipping lable to return the broken one in 3 days.

I wonder if you are so wrapped up in the fabrications you forget what you've previously said.  Your credibilty goes down the tubes with just a little web search.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Target separation and target id are different, either way this is retarded... ;D  Hows the fishing been? ;D
Fishin red lines

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:12 PM »
By knowing theres more than one allows you to decide what one may be the bigger and target that one or if they are all 3 dinks and not worth it to try and catch...

WOW That is probably the craziest statement that I ever read on here.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:12 PM »

You seem to contradict yourself often......so which is it?   You've never had to send one in or

shaley   December 11 2009 09:48PM   

My last LX I got was bad out of the box, had a new one to my door with a shipping lable to return the broken one in 3 days.

I wonder if you are so wrapped up in the fabrications you forget what you've previously said.  Your credibilty goes down the tubes with just a little web search.

Honestly, thats pretty sad that you would go looking for past posts to prove him wrong. Don't you have anything better to do? Maybe he was talking about mechanical flashers like the rest of us?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:13 PM »
By knowing theres more than one allows you to decide what one may be the bigger and target that one or if they are all 3 dinks and not worth it to try and catch...

WOW That is probably the craziest statement that I ever read on here.

Why? its completely true. Not everyone wants to sit and catch dinks all day, some hole hop until they see a big mark. Obviously you do not own a marcum or you would understand that you really can see the size of the individual fish within a school with it. On the other flashers its just a bunch of blobs or one big blob.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Fl-20 is 2.65" target separation and 1" target ID.

go to www.vexilar.com download brochure and on page 5 in the FL 20 Resolution it says target separation of 1 inch at 20 foot setting. BBK I know there is a difference, target ID of the fl 20 is less than 1/2 inch. ID is what the unit can ID and Separation is the distance between the two

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:17 PM »
This is still retarded  ;D
Fishin red lines

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 PM »
I own both a Marcum and a Vexilar. I also own a half a dozen older flashers that I have used for over 30 years on the ice and open water.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Honestly, thats pretty sad that you would go looking for past posts to prove him wrong. Don't you have anything better to do? Maybe he was talking about mechanical flashers like the rest of us?

Oh yea did forget about that one since it was the wifes...so I did have an issue and was taken care of without loosing the unit for 2 weeks like I did with my Vex's... I have alot of equipment and doubles of about everything so some things do slip my mind, I don't have time to search for 4-5 year oldvpostsvor keep notes on everything, I remember the ones that cost me money and cost me time on the ice or water though...

Again if you think theres no difference put your vex next to my LX ( either of them) and see for yourself

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 PM »

If you check the date....pretty sure this was a mechanical flasher since the LX-7 wasn't out until 2011.   Next excuse?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:22 PM »
go to www.vexilar.com download brochure and on page 5 in the FL 20 Resolution it says target seperation of 1 inch at 20 foot setting. Hamms I know there is a difference, target ID of the fl 20 is less than 1/2 inch. ID is what the unit can ID and Seperation is the distance between the two

Since you didnt get the first two hints. It is spelled S E P A R A T I O N.  I was going by what it said on the icefishingtoday website (owned by vex), it said 1".
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Since you didnt get the first two hints. It is spelled S E P A R A T I O N.  I was going by what it said on the icefishingtoday website (owned by vex), it said 1".

I got it now a little slow. The product of the Minneapolis school system.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:26 PM »
And tell your wife I'm sorry for trying to change you!  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:27 PM »
And tell your wife I'm sorry for trying to change you!  ;D

She will get a kick out of it. It is a full time job for her, trying to keep me in line

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:29 PM »
IBTL  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I think we have killed the thread.

VEXILARS SUCK

That should get it going again.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I got it now a little slow. The product of the Minneapolis school system.

Explains alot...  ;D glad I escaped it when I was young...

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I thought it was nice how it ended on a simple spelling lesson.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I thought it was nice how it ended on a simple spelling lesson.

Spelling correction, not lesson! I think I need the lessons.. thank god for firefox and its red lines.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Spelling correction, not lesson! I think I need the lessons.. thank god for firefox and its red lines.

Yuuuuuuup! Now if it would only check for context.  ;D

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM »
This is a pretty amusing read. To say you can pick the big fish out of a school with a flasher is a stretch in most cases. The signal is dependent on where the fish lies within your cone. If you always target the strongest red mark out of a school you aren't always gonna pull up the biggest fish guaranteed. A giant walleye could be a flicker on your sonar before streaking in to hammer your bait. If I'm on a school of fish I will target the ones most active (commonly the highest in the water column). Sometimes though those are the smallest fish but giving a strong return as they quickly come to investigate your bait. If I notice the larger fish are hugging bottom, I'll target those even if they aren't the biggest signal. The which flasher is best debate is always amusing. Buy what you can afford and you'll have more enjoyable fishing than you've had in the past. I wish someone would have an objective test with all these units on the ice like esox is offering. We could see whose specs are true and whose are not. We would finally know which one is truly better on paper and in real life. BUT, it wouldnt change squat cuz i guarantee the best flasher would still be getting outfished by many fishermen with "lesser" brands. A flasher is a tool and thats it. I've been outfished by guys with old zercom clearwater classics and i've outfished guys with the latest and greatest flasher from (insert brand name here). Esox has been outfished by guys with vexilars on more than one occasion I am sure. But he feels that marcum is the best on the market and enjoys using them and recommending them to others. Thats fine and i wouldnt disagree that there is anything wrong with marcums. I do disagree when he and others say vexilar is out of the game. Though I have never owned a vex I have used them on MANY occassions and they have helped every single time.  Give a bunch of every day fishermen marums and give another group of everyday fisherman vexilars and you arent gonna see one group putting more fish on the ice with any consitency. That I will bet on. Buy the one with the features you like and that fits your budget and have fun. Just promise yourself before buying it you will never get in a pissing match that yours is the best. You'll be a lot happier guaranteed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.