Author Topic: 12v fish finder battery  (Read 9236 times)

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
12v fish finder battery
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Good day men - Any thoughts on the best brand of vexilar battery?  Looking to buy a new 12v 9 amp battery and wondering if they are all the same? 

I am always hesitant to go generic, but wondering if these batteries really matter?

thanks

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: 12v fish finder battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:17 AM »
They may tell you  it matters (vexilar), but amps are amps.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:36 AM »
gander had some drenline 12v 9amp for 25, on my second season on my 67c lowrance and i get 10 hrs with no problem should run your flasher for ever

Offline triggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I am on my second season with the gander mountain battery as well, I think I paid less then 25 two years ago for it and its still going strong

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:00 AM »
The adrenaline from Gander is the way to go....12v 9AH....should run it all day long!  I think it's around 25

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:16 AM »
They are all made in the same plant, they just have different labels on them.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:44 AM »
I pick up the cheapest one I see and I don't get any problems.  Just charge your battery after all trips and you will be fine.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Bullelk34

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:42 AM »
PowerSonic is a good brand- truthfully though any of them should hold you up all day long if properly charged. If you're buying one at Batteries Plus or something like that, see if they have different brands of the same size you want, then compare and take the brand that has the heaviest for it's size (more lead used- better). We use several hundred batteries a year at work, and believe it or not there is a huge difference in longevity between brands, though measured in years not in hours on the ice.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:46 AM »
If you live near a farm & ranch types store, check out the electric fence section.
9Ahr batteries at mine are like 18 bucks :)
Get bit!

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:36 AM »
I'm with jim good batt and not a bad price.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Read post below , I explained it in language anyone could understand , well except maybe ..............lol ::)
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:52 PM »
I am no expert here, but I do not think what Highsparks above is saying is correct.....I was under the assumption that 7 aH vs. 9 aH vs. 12 aH, etc. has nothing to do with power or capacity or whatever....It is all based on a device drawing 1 amp will last 7 hours with a 7aH battery, 9 hours with a 9 aH battery, etc.....Or device drawing a half amp would last 14 and 18 hours, respectively.

Again, I am no expert, but that is the way I understand it.

Phil

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I am no expert here, but I do not think what Highsparks above is saying is correct.....I was under the assumption that 7 aH vs. 9 aH vs. 12 aH, etc. has nothing to do with power or capacity or whatever....It is all based on a device drawing 1 amp will last 7 hours with a 7aH battery, 9 hours with a 9 aH battery, etc.....Or device drawing a half amp would last 14 and 18 hours, respectively.

Phil

That's what I thought as well.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I dont know who is right or who is wrong, but if you cant decide between the 7ah and the 9ah... get an 8ah. Cabelas has their brand 8ah on sale right now.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I don't think there is  really a difference. I would just pick up the cheapest (as long as its sealed lead acid type.)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:13 PM »
20 bucks or less  at any auto place   ebay even cheaper 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:38 PM »
so running a vex off of a 7ah battery compared to a 9ah battery... there isn't any voltage difference. Right? It's just that a 9ah battery will last quite a bit longer than the 7ah... This has probably been discussed in another forum but I'm curious...

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:48 PM »
The 9A will last longer. I actually use a Vexilar 12V 9A V100 in my Marcum. I got the battery for $28 shipped from the Sportsman's Guide.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:14 PM »
so running a vex off of a 7ah battery compared to a 9ah battery... there isn't any voltage difference. Right? It's just that a 9ah battery will last quite a bit longer than the 7ah... This has probably been discussed in another forum but I'm curious...
never had an issue  same voltage  lasts all day no issues
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I am no expert here , but I do not think what Highsparks above is saying is correct.....I was under the assumption that 7 aH vs. 9 aH vs. 12 aH, etc. has nothing to do with power or capacity or whatever....It is all based on a device drawing 1 amp will last 7 hours with a 7aH battery, 9 hours with a 9 aH battery, etc.....Or device drawing a half amp would last 14 and 18 hours, respectively.

Phil

This was copy pasted from a manufacturer of lead acid batteries , ie flasher batteries.

Amp Hours

The Amp Hour rating tells you how much amperage is available when discharged evenly over a 20 hour period. The amp hour rating is cumulative, so in order to know how many constant amps the battery will output for 20 hours, you have to divide the amp hour rating by 20. Example: If a battery has an amp hour rating of 75, dividing by 20 = 3.75. Such a battery can carry a 3.75 amp load for 20 hours before dropping to 10.5 volts. (10.5 volts is the fully discharged level, at which point the battery needs to be recharged.) A battery with an amp hour rating of 55 will carry a 2.75 amp load for 20 hours before dropping to 10.5 volts.

Reserve Minutes
Reserve minutes is the number of minutes a battery will carry a 25 amp load before dropping to 10.5 volts. (10.5 volts is the fully discharged level, at which point the battery needs to be recharged.)

Most small batteries dont have a reserve rating , amp/hour is strictly how much amperage a battery can carry .   Naturally a higher amp hour battery will carry a similar load for a longer period of time than a lower amp/hour battery  .  Its when you have two batteries with the same size case that internal sacrifices are made to achieve the higher amp/hour rating .  Such as thinner plates and less acid between plates which shortens a batteries life , less charge-discharge cycles .  Holes ate in the plates  that make up individual cells decrease battery charge life .  Lower amp/hour batteries have thicker plates since they need less plates to carry the lighter load .   Using a higher amperage battery than necessary , may gain you an extra hour or two each cycle .  Using the lower amp/hour rating will give more recharge cycles , thus saving money two ways .  Cheaper to buy , lasts longer .   I never run my batteries completly dead , doing so increases internal damage .  I recharge after every use and use an automatic charger to prevent overcharging .  

Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:50 PM »
highsparks is right on the calculations..but thats a bit complicated to remember,some manufactures use a 10 hour test, as well or a 20 hour test...
lets say that the battery has a ah rating of 10, 10/20=.5  which is then .5amps for about 20 hours using the 20 hour test now there would be a slightly different amp hour rating
if the 10 hour test were used..but for this calculation  will say it's negligable..so same 10 ah battery, 10/10=1 amp for 10 hours of use before 10.5 volts are achieved..
now .5 for 20 hours and 1 amp for 10 are the same..

so your 10 amp hour battery will give you 1 amp for 10 hours of use,or 10 amps for 1 hour(if battery is capable of doing this large current could harm battery)
a 75 amp hour will give you 1 amp for 75 hours of use...
a 10 amp hour will give you 500 milliamps(half an amp) for 20h of use
(kinda think of and amp as a flow of water going through hose,except in this case there electrons)

so  now if we look at the differnce between a 7,8,9 ah battery compared to a 7 ah battery ,your marcum( i believe a 500ma draw?)
will get 2 more hours of run time on the 8 ah and 4 more hours of runtime on a 9 ah

so just remember 7AH battery = 1 amp for 7 hours...   20 ah battery 1 amp for 20 hours ..ect..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.