Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Where are you catching fish  (Read 4041 times)

Randy Cox

Where are you catching fish
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:18 PM »
By now there is fishable ice in most of Iowa.  Unfortunitly I have not been able to get away from deer hunting to go.  I know that there is people out there catching fish right now.  Where are you catching fish at, and hows the Ice there?  Best of Luck to everyone.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
Re:Where are you catching fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 11:50 PM »
Morse-  4-6" saturday....lots of small perch

Interstate Park Pond-  6"+ saturday....small perch, small gills, 10" crappie

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:10 AM »
Where are these lakes: Morse and Interstate Park Pond?
Time to fish.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:38 AM »
Morse-    West of the town of Belmond, south of Clear Lake/Ventura about 20miles off of hwy 69.  

Interstate Park Pond-   Just off the hwy 3/Clarion exit (165) on I35.

Both of these lakes are in the Iowa Sportsmans Connection lake map book.

goody

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Thanks Goody,

What do you usually catch in Morse and Interstate Park Pond?
Time to fish.

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 12:35 AM »
Morse is a perch lake.  State record was caught from there (over 2lbs).  Seems to be mostly dinks in there right now with the occasional jumbo.  

Interstate Park Pond is an old gravel pit with typical farm pond fish...crappie, gills, bass, cats, plus perch.  I caught perch, gills, and crappie when I was there.

This past weekend was the first time I had ever fished either and I figured them both out pretty easy and caught many fish from both.  Both seemed to be good places to tighten a line.  Hope this helps.

goody

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2003, 06:52 AM »
Morse got fished over pretty bad last year. Perch lakes are fairly easy to fish out. It will come back in a couple years tho. The little ones in Morse will be 10" in a couple years.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Randy Cox

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:36 PM »
I was out to don williams in Boone County this week and it was pretty slow until 1 hour before sunset.  Then there were so many gills coming in that I couldn't keep 2 poles in the water at the same time.  30 Min after dark though the action stopped and so did I.

Dante83R

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:03 PM »
   Easter Lake in Polk County was pretty good for catfish, gill, occasional crappie and walleye.  Fished Hickory Grove in Story County today, it was slow, caught a couple of nice bass and a crappie.  Hickory had 6" of ice and Easter had about 5.

Randy Cox

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Fished Don Williams againg on Thursday night the action was slow all around the lake in the shallower water.  Then I moved out to deeper water around 20-25ft, found some structure, and also found fish.  I have never seen my Vex light up so much since I have had it.  We caught a bunch of 4-5 inch crappies some 5-8 and a couple 8+.  For Don Williams I thought we did pretty good.  Funny thing is normally when I go there all I can catch is Gills, last night I didn't catch one.

Dante83R

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:11 PM »
     Fished Little Wall all day today.  Got lots of dinky gills and perch, but found a school of nice crappies and took home 15 of them.  All the craps were 12 to 14 inches long.  Dropped one heck of a nice bass.  My 6 lb line wouldn't hold him.

Randy Cox

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Fished Don Williams again on Saturday from 10 am till 6 pm.  What a waste of time.  We went all around the lake trying to find fish but with no luck.  Mabey it had to do with the two fronts moving in or mabey we are just bad fisherman. ;)  Did anyone have any luck on saturday?

captaincrappie

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:13 PM »
Fished Clear Lake Saturday with no luck at all except a small white bass.  There were alot of people out no one seemed to be caughting many.  Friday they killed them though Talked to some that caught 60 + white bass or stripers and a few crappies in 3 hrs.  Saturday it must of been the East wind that brought the bad luck

Randy Cox

« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:17 PM »
I fished lost lake at Big creek on Friday with little luck I was able to spot a lot of fish coming and could get them to my jig but couldn't get many to bite.  Fished a small farm pond on Saturday with fair luck caught some large Gills but only 6 were keepers. Eigther I am getting worse at fishing or the bite has slowed down compared to early Ice. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.