Author Topic: Cheap Trick For Catching Gills, Perch, and Specks:  (Read 18932 times)

ADCO

Cheap Trick For Catching Gills, Perch, and Specks:
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:51 PM »
I'm almost SURE that most of you heard of this trick for catching Big Gills, and Specks..It's a Attractor for Drawing the Fish to YOUR HOLE.....HEHEHE

Take some EGG SHELLS with you out on the ice, Crumble up 1/2 of the Egg Shell, and drop it in your hole. They'll Flutter Down giving a FLASH and drawing FISH to your hole..They'll stay there as long as there's FOOD around..So, you just MIGHT want to take some extra Spikes, and drop them in the hole as well.

Thanks for your time, and GOOD LUCK...

Stan

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re:Cheap Trick For Catching Gills, Perch, and Specks:
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2004, 04:54 PM »
Bluegill chum???   :'(

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:10 PM »
Last year my son was rounding up little balls of bread so he could watch them on the vex. FL18. Low and behold the bluegills started to show up. Try it!! :)
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:36 PM »
I never heard that before... I will try it. The lake I fish has alot and you catch a decent amount see if we get even more :)

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
Re: Cheap Trick For Catching Gills, Perch, and Specks:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:51 PM »
I use oatmeal for jigging gills. Put a good table spoon in the hole . Some will float, and some will sink slowly if they stop sinking just put tip of pole in water alittle and move it around they oatmeal will fall. wORKS FOR ME ;D
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Tried some Oatmeal and whole cooked sweet corn in two different jiggiing holes this winter, without any noticible effect. Will have to give it a try again sometime.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:01 AM »
i tried the eggshell trick last winter.  it worked pretty good.  it seemed to attract perch more than anything
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2004, 10:10 AM »
check the legality of doing this where you fish.  In Wisconsin, it is illegal to chum. 

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:27 PM »
That's a pretty cool idea. I bet it works a lot better on a sunny day because there is more reflection from the egg shells.
Or, you can try some pieces of the mineral micah, it is the most shiny, non pollutant thing I can think of. I bet it would draw fish in from a far in clear water. Just another one of my random off the board thoughts ;D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2004, 07:23 PM »
I have never seen anything about chumming in NY does anyone know if its illegal???   

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2005, 07:42 AM »
I never saw a game warden out with an aqua-vu. So unless you do it right in front of him I say its legal until caught.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2005, 05:53 AM »
i just always throw a few maggots down the hole when rebaiting...if fishing for perch in deeper water, there is no need to chum, as they puke their stomach contents on the way up - Voila! free chum!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2005, 08:05 AM »
heres a good trick for crappie.  i take the scales and put them into empty baby food jars.  add alittle water and freeze.  it works pretty good.  just let it thaw, and dump it in the water alittle at a time, the scales look like a a large school of crappie supposedly.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2005, 11:37 AM »
tucker, with your disrespect for game laws, I hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman.  That's pathetic.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:14 PM »
I'm not defending breaking the law, but some fishing laws are completely unfair, uneeded, and baseless. Civil disobedience is something I do believe in. You just have to be willing to pay the fine if caught.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:52 PM »
I hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman.  That's pathetic.

i am not usually one for ruffling feathers, but i couldn't agree more.  that kind of attitude ruins the SPORT for those of us that follow the rules.
tightlines
sport

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Morals....  >:(::)
Don't ruin it for the rest of us.... >:(

Offline HiRanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigin' My Stix in 2007! St. Helen Iceman
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I haven't read anything stating that chumming is against the law. With that said you should try a spoon full of canned cat food down the hole each bait up. This will rapidly fall to the bottom and slowly release the goodies. Blue gills and specks luv it.....
Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

petedraggin

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:06 PM »
Is putting egg shells in a hole actually considered chumming? Only if farting in the shanty considered using stink bait!

Offline TheStray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2005, 06:33 PM »
In my opinion chumming would be illegal because it is considered illegal in michigan to carry around mutilated "unidentifiable/unmeasurable" fish.  I wonder if putting potato peels in a hole to illuminate the bottom is considerd chumming.  Or using Walleye eyes to fish with.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2005, 05:45 AM »
I never saw a game warden out with an aqua-vu. So unless you do it right in front of him I say its legal until caught.
I like that line of thinking...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2005, 07:10 AM »
tucker, with your disrespect for game laws, I hope you don't consider yourself a sportsman.  That's pathetic.

He's only talking about putting a few eggshells or oatmeal down a hole to attract fish. These would be non-toxic and harmless to the water, and I don't see a problem in doing this. How would this be different than using any artificial lure to attract more fish? Although I am not one in favor of blatant disrespect of game laws, if this practice is not allowed then I would say the regulation is archaic. If you want to talk about something that really is cheating in my opinion, how about the guys that drop cameras down the hole and watch the fish swallowing the hook so they know exactly when to set the hook? I would say this ranks right up there as far as non-sportsman activity, and the authorities don't to my knowledge prohibit this?
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2005, 02:31 PM »
This is my first season with an Aqua-Vu, and my worst season ever! ??? ??? ???  The Aqua-Vu does not find the fish nor make them bite.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2005, 04:08 PM »
If you want to talk about something that really is cheating in my opinion, how about the guys that drop cameras down the hole and watch the fish swallowing the hook so they know exactly when to set the hook? I would say this ranks right up there as far as non-sportsman activity, and the authorities don't to my knowledge prohibit this?

:o :o  I didn't know that I was making it SO EASY to catch fish for myself by using my aquaview sometimes and it was unsportsmanlike.  I'm gonna throw that $300 fish killer in the trash when I get home from walleye fishing tonight.  While I'm doing that who else here is throwing out their aquaview too because you now realize it's so unfair to the fish.  ???  Who, c'mon you know you will ??? ;D

Yes! I can always count on you to take the bait SlipBob! You are to my posts what a 12" perch is to a 3" shiner. Your strong reaction to my condemnation of Aqua-Vu tells me that you actually do feel some guilt about gaining an unfair advantage over the fish. You probably think Barry Bonds could have hit 73 homers without taking steroids also. Have fun catching your fish with surgical precision.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2005, 05:35 PM »
   Are you done? ::)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2005, 07:29 AM »
If the Aqua-Vu is not effective enough you can always try using nets or dynamite.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2005, 01:28 PM »
is this better dfuller??

and by the way, what if i can see bottom and i am sightfishing?? is that still unsportsmanlike?? Geese, better outlaw polarized sunglasses too, might be able to see the fishies when its open water!! Better yet just outlaw any fishing in anything less than 10 feet of water!

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2005, 02:16 PM »
I hope you dont use any new jigs that have came out in the last 5-10 years if you do then you would be just as bad as us "non sportsmans".Nobody that fishes today uses the exact same technology that as used 100 years ago,all that we have is derived from advances....yes even all the tackle in your icefishing arsenal.dont throw rocks if you live in a glass house.

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2005, 09:39 AM »
While icefishing, I eat pistachios (in their natural white shell, not the red-dyed ones)
Then I spit the shells in the hole.  They work the same as egg shells but better because they flutter to the bottom slower.
You can actually watch them sinking on the Vex.

GoHawks

« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:12 PM »
I have also heard of dropping a handful of white rice down, also dont knwo if this is legal but i heard it gets the gills going

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.