Author Topic: Insights on the gill  (Read 3716 times)

hopper

Insights on the gill
« on: Nov 04, 2005, 06:03 AM »
Depending on the waters you fish, gills have different routines and habits that can help you not only locate but also catah more. Take Shawano Lake, gills are weed related, this is there protection, Shawano lake is known for all of the predator fish, walleyes, now recent growth in muskies, and of course the northern pike. Small gills hide most of the time, buried in the mass weed growth thoughout the lake, bulls and keepers become active in the low light conditions. Which will and has always been the best time to slay them. These gills usually run in groups of 3 to 6, and randomly come about to your fishing hole at different intervals. More often as the light fades, than without a word they'll shut down. Small gills can be caught for the action and perhaps sorting of, to keep a meals worth most of the day, fishing in the deep weed growths. Jumping from hole to hole works only to locate different groups that are feeding, but since they do move sometimes in the low light times to stay put and catch the groups moving about. In the low light times no need to fish in the thick weeds, at these times the bulls and keepers move above the weed growths.This way your bait is more visable from longer distances and will attrack more groups of these favored size gills.
                                                For more info, e-mail ([email protected])

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: Insights on the gill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Welcome back Sporty. Wondering where you went to.

My neck of the woods Slipbob, Shawano lake is about 12 miles from me.  :tipup:

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Those are some insights alright.  Welcome to iceshanty and where the hell is Shawano Lake ???  You're right about the biggy gills really turning on just before dark.  Happens all the time. 

Slipbob, Shawano is a 6063 acre lake in Wisconsin.  It's one of the most popular lakes in WI for icefishing.

Hopper, I just read the article you helped out with on Shawano in F & W Ice Fishing 2005/2006 magazine. Good job.  :thumbsup:
Ken                                          

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2005, 07:52 AM »
Hey Sporty I just read your article in the f&w ice mag.... nice job! Good read.

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:57 PM »
Bluegills generally are fairly easy to catch if you can locate them. They don't hug bottom like perch but they don't suspend always like crappie. They will usually be found within a few feet of the bottom in shallow water. The best areas are near old weedlines or on shallow flats at first ice, in about 6 - 15 feet of water. Later on gills will be found past the first drop off or even in the deeper main lake basins.
The best gill jigs for me are custom jigs and spins shrimpos, ratsos, nuclear ants, and demons. Tip them with a couple maggots or a waxie and just lightly bob and dance them, pausing quite a bit.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2005, 07:52 PM »
Great insight on the upcoming season for gills.  I have never heard of nuclear ants, what are they, have any pics? Thanks
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Great insight on the upcoming season for gills.  I have never heard of nuclear ants, what are they, have any pics? Thanks

Go here and check them out: http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/softbody/nuclear_ant.html

I use these in the spring and really like them. I've never used them under the ice though. Might give it a try this season.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2005, 10:13 PM »
thanks for the link.  If the gills don't like the nuke ant, then I don't know what else to throw at them!  ;D
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

hopper

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2005, 05:21 AM »
Custom's line of ice jigs all are very excellent baits always carry the in my jig box, I use, at least on Shawano, rat finkies alot, hot pink, green, and chartruse. I also work alot with Dot's- comets, red/yellow eye, green/red eye and glow jigs work well in the fading light, too many different jigs to mention. Every lake seems to have different areas where to find gills, fishing some small and hidden lakes in my area I found differences in where to find them, what to use, and the time of year. One lake maybe Scott knows of it is Wiscobe, small bowel shaped and contours to match. The water is slightly stained, this stained water becomes the gills protection, therefore the gills become suspended and not to concerned with evading predators as opposed to Shawano lake. Nice size gills, crappies, the perch run small. What ready comes in handy is the vexlar an order to find the depht there suspending in. Hint when you guys find this lake don't say how you found out, the old bucket sitters like there fishing. The end oppsite of the boat landing is the most popular, but I found the gills thoughout. The lake averages 20' of water and the deepest about 35'.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Nuclear ants kick butt. Just using a small twitching and bobbing motion with pauses works wonders on all trout and panfish. Tip with a maggot, waxie, or nightcrawler piece.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.