Author Topic: bluegill eating  (Read 18578 times)

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
Re: bluegill eating
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2004, 12:38 PM »
GILLCRAZY that sounds good I'm going to try it on some  :'(crappies!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:23 PM »
You'll love it PERCH INC :D  Just something different to try.
GILLCRAZY

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:55 AM »
 Dip them in egg milk mixture then in zatarains batter deep fry. Get your fry oil very hot before droping the fish in and that will seal in the flavor and moisture with a krisp fillet.

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:23 PM »
i dip the fillets in egg and roll em in crumbled up ritz crackers and fry em in butter
       delicious

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2004, 12:46 PM »
i like to take the small ones, fillette them and flash fry them in olive oil.  take some pasta, thin spaghetti, cook it, put some butter and olive oil in a pan, brown some crushed garlic in the oil, pour it over spaghetti.  add some parsley, or whatever herbs you like, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on spaghetti while still warm, add fillettes, drink with some chardonnay   
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2004, 09:01 PM »
I like to get the filets, place them in a bowl of water, milk, or possibly cream for a minute or 2. Then I roll them in a bunch of those canned bread crumbs from Progresso. I then sort of do a hybrid between frying them and deep frying them with bacon grease. Best fish you ever tasted. 8) (besides of course if substituted for walleye ;))
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline jsnyd4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:42 PM »
i like to take some flour with garlic powder some black pepper, chile powder, corn meal as a dredge . fry them several minuets and place on a paper towel and plate. salt and pepper if necessary and then enjoy. ::)
what is your best way to prepare bluegills?
::)

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2004, 08:20 PM »
ANDY'S Fish Breading! Fanfrickintastic!!  Mills' Flee Farm sells it in WI. Try it!
GILLCRAZY

Offline RM fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:37 PM »
Took me awhile to find it but I like to use fishcrisp, saw some fishinshows on tv one year in the western ny area  about this. Talked the local walmart to stock it and it is good. Several flavors also.

Krag

« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2005, 09:22 AM »
I'm surprized no one has mentioned the magic ingredient--bacon grease for frying!  I like them best scaled, headed and gutted then rolled in flour and fried in a black iron frying pan.

Krag

bigdave1018

« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2005, 12:06 PM »
your fav. cooking oil in a sauce pan, heated. cut gills in scallop sized pieces. i only use flour in a shaker bag but add any other spices that you like. put a hand full carefully into the hot oil and when they float , take them out, place them on paper towels to cool. then add equal parts of french salad dressing, horseradish and catsup mixed together for a dipping sauce and enjoy. from the cleaning table to the eating table real fast and oo its so goodddd.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:38 AM »
1) Cover the fillets in milk and chill in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
2) Drain away milk and cover with egg mixture (eggs beaten w/ 2 tbls of water) and chill for 15 more minutes.
3) Mix a little salt & pepper with your favorite bread crumbs and dredge the fillets as you remove them from the egg mixture.
4) Heat up some oil (1/8" deep) in a pan, melt in 2 tbls of butter and crack a few cloves of garlic... all over medium heat (6 on a scale of 6-10).
5) Fry fillets for 3 minutes on each side.
6) Remove, drain on a towel, and serve immediately with cocktail sauce.

The milk bath removes any hint of "fishiness" and really whitens up the fillet. I make my cocktail sauce very basic with ketchup, 1 tbls of lemon juice, and as much horseradish as I can stand (like it hot).

Well, now I made myself hungry. ;D

gill_muncher

« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I filet them then soak them in milk overnight or so.  Then, I beat a whole bunch of eggs in a bowl, fill another bowl with dry bread crumbs and get a pan heated with butter in it.  when you have that dip the fish in the egg and then the bread crumbs and toss them in the pan.  delic

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2005, 05:45 PM »
I had fresh Gills and Crappies dipped in egg and crushed pretzels last nite.  :clap:

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Paul of Harrisburg

« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:47 PM »
Try scaling, then cut the filets out, or de-skin, then dip in milk, roll in crushed wheaties cerial, and fry in oil until they float. Lay on paper towels to drain off oil, and toss small clumps ofthe left over (soggy) wheaties balls into the oil for some good fritters.
YUMMY!!!!
Paul

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Here is another GREAT recipe for the grill or oven.
Large sheet of aluminum foil, oiled on the inside so nothing sticks "too" bad. 

Layer of fish on the foil (leave enough room as you have to fold all the edges together) salt and pepper to taste, light layer of onions, Campbell's cream of celery soup over it, light layer again, fish, onions, soup, until you're out of fish.
Fold the foil together to seal it. Pop on medium hot grill or throw in a 400 degree oven. Turn after 10 minutes, wait 10 more and remove to CHOW DOWN ;D
This may sound strange, I sure thought it did, but WOW, great flavor!! Enjoy ;)
GILLCRAZY

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2005, 06:42 PM »
just fried up a pile of gills, with some homemade hashbrowns-wow.  take an egg, and some milk for a wash.  pour a bunch of flour in a bow, add a good dash of old el paso taco seasoning mix, cracked black pepper, celery salt, and a good pinch of kosher salt.  mix up good.  your flour will turn a good orange color.  dip fish in wash, then roll it around in the flour until well coated, pan fry in olive oil, and a little butter.  the best fish ive ever eaten in my life, and ive eaten alot in my life  ;D
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:07 PM »
fish cakes....

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:20 PM »
 Dip the filets in egg and milk, then put Italian bread crumbs,Corn flake crumbs,and Uncle Bucks Fish Batter!
TEAM  PA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.