Author Topic: bluegill eating  (Read 18577 times)

tstelick

bluegill eating
« on: Dec 23, 2002, 10:14 AM »
what is your best way to prepare bluegills?

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
Re: bluegill eating
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2002, 02:40 PM »
The way we do it is real simple. Take your filets and dip them in dry pancake mix and deep fry. The pancake mix has seasoned salt and pepper mixed in. Put the mix in a bag and shake the filets in that and they are ready to cook. We will be having a mess of those this week due to the action we are having with panfish here lately. Can taste them already. ;D

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2002, 09:18 PM »
Take your gills and soak them in light beer(preferably BUD LIGHT) for 24 hours in the fridge!  We use a cajun fish batter(dry or mixed with BUD LIGHT) and dip the gills in the batter!  Serve with seasoned fries and a nice cold BUD LIGHT!!!!!!LOL

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2002, 06:18 AM »
I like em one of three ways

1. scaled, heads lopped off, gutted, rolled in flour and panfried in butter.

2. filleted, dipped in egg/milk breaded with some type of crushed cracker, deep fried.

3. filleted, rolled in flour panfried in butter.

mmmm mmmm good, works with perch and crappie to!

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

pmtiny

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2003, 03:06 PM »
Filet 'em up and dredge in flour, or use Drake's mix, and panfry.  Fry up some taters, and pop open a cold beer.  Aaah life is good 8)

Offline nate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2003, 03:32 AM »
at our house we like them filleted

dip in egg

and put in

shorelunch batter

then deepfry them

serve with tators and sweeet tea

and pilsbury dinner rolls

good times

kidd ;D ;D

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2003, 05:11 PM »
I PREFER TO FIRST FILET THE FISH. THEN BEAT 1 OR 2 EGGS DEPENDING ON HOW MANY FISH YOU HAVE AND SOAK THEM IN IT FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES. THEN DIP THEM IN SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS.  FRY THEM IN CANOLA OIL UNTIL BROWN ON BOTH SIDES AND THEY ARE GREAT.  MY TWO YOUNGER SISTERS EAT THEM LIKE POTATO CHIPS, AND THEY WERE GREAT ON NEW YEARS.  THEY MAKE A GREAT SNACK.  GOOD LUCK!

themongobongo

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2003, 12:37 PM »
can you say sushi ;)
my old lady dips them in her special mix and frys them on the skittle...beautiful

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I have made gills baked, broiled, fried and poached...... they are all good but the best way is to grill em' right off of the fish.  I like to fillet mine right out on the ice and grill them 4-lunch.  You talk about fresh!  mmmmmmmmmm!  I get the coals goin' and when they're ready I put a peice of aluminum foil over the grate, slick it up with some butter and season to taste.  A couple of minutes per side does the job fine.  Northern is also awsome prepared this way!  Just look out for GULLS!! lol. ;D

Good fishin'/Eatin'

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2003, 05:52 AM »
I like to fellet the gills,soak them in a little beaten eggs and milk for about 5 minutes or so,then in a plastic bag I put 2/3 flour to 1/3 yellow corn meal and shake gills in it.I then fry in a cast iron skillet with a little crisco and a little butter.For real crisp fish you can try the above but use potatoe FLAKES instead of the flour and corn meal.......Chow down....Skulldugary

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2003, 07:05 PM »
I HAVE A GOOD WAY TO EAT GILLS. YOU NEED SOME FILETS, SOME BEER,SOME PANCAKE MIX,DEEP FRIER FULL OF  OIL. FIRST CLEAN THE FILETS WITH WATER ,DAMP OFF THE WATER WITH SOME PAPER TOWELS. MIX THE PANCAKE BATTER WITH THE BEER, ADD ALITTLE BEER AT A TIME. THE BATTER NEEDS TO BE SOME WHAT THICK. THE WAY I CAN TELL  IS I USE A FORK TO MIX. WHEN THE BATTER FILLS THE FORK SLOTS THE BATTER IS READY, IF THE BATTER FALLS OFF THE FORK SLOTS ADD MORE PANCAKE MIX. IT'S KIND OF HIT AND MISS BUT TOO MUCH BEER IS NOT GOOD. GET THE OIL HOT, ADD THE FILETS TO THE BEER BATTER RIGHT BEFORE YOU DEEP FRY THEM. DON'T LET THE FILETS SET IN THE BATTER TOO LONG, DIP ONE SIDE AT A TIME AND TAKE THE FILETS OUT AND FRY THEM RIGHT AWAY. ENJOY  
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2003, 11:30 AM »
We also do the beer batter and pancake mix, or dipped in egg and rolled in cracker, then pan fried. With fried mash potatos and a cold one. Cann't beat it!!!

Tingy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2003, 08:27 AM »
We use Golden Dip all puposebreading. Fillet fish (skin them if you like) lay them out on paper towels a while to dry out a bit. Sprinkle with Adobo seasoning shake in a plastic bag with breading to coat them and deep fry. Yummy :)

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:00 AM »
I filet them so that I don't have to spend the whole time picking the bones out of the kids fish.  Otherwise they eat them all.

Dip them in egg, then dip them in Cajun Shorelunch.  Fry them in butter.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2003, 04:35 PM »
i do a boneless and skinless fillet, and suggest beer or pancake batter, than deepfried.   i give all my fish away anyway, as i cant eat fish, i developed a food alergy to them 8 years ago.

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2003, 06:16 PM »
Try this:
Mix some Lawry's Seasoned salt with flower to taste. Roll wet fillets in mix, drop in hot peanut oil and fry to light brown. Very light and very tasty.  I like FISH not BATTER!  You can also add things like a hint of garlic powder, pepper, etc., I fillet all fish, skinless and boneless for ease of eating.  ENJOY!!!!!!!!
GILLCRAZY

MGREGOIRE

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2003, 08:03 AM »
WE SIMPLY FILLET OUT BLUEGILLS, PUT THEM IN A PAN WITH A LITTLE BUTTER, LEMON PEPPER & OLD BAY SPICE, COOK IN OVEN AT 300, CHECK AFTER 10-12 MINUTES, NEVER HAD ANY LEFT OVERS

JansonJP

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2003, 05:25 AM »
Glad to hear the "OLD BAY" seasoning recipe. ON -THE -GRILL is AWESOME!

1.  Lay out a piece of foil on cookie sheet.
2.  Put light coating of butter or olive oil on foil ( only prevents sticking - plenty of fluids in filet ).
3.  Lay filets flat and season with "Old Bay" or paprika ( I prefer Old Bay ).
4.  Lay chunks of onion, green pepper, and chopped garlic in between filets.
5.  Sqeeze a touch of fresh lemon juice across filets.
6.  Carefully slide foil off sheet and onto grill.
7.  Have the taters ready and slide foil onto sheet and into mouth.  HUNGRY YET?   ENJOY!

Note:  Thinner filets may not even need turned.  A few minutes on each side is all it takes for gills and crappie.  Salt and pepper to taste.  For you health nuts - Crappie is the lowest in fat and highest in protein of all freshwater eats.

Fargin_Icehol

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2003, 08:55 AM »
however you cook em i like to get cold,brings out the flavor more after a cooldown period,then dip in cocktail sauce

Gillgraber

« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2003, 07:01 PM »
I couldn't help but notice that no one said my favorite. I take and fiilet them out and wash them well. Then I dip them in flour that has been seasoned with Lawrys season salt, not much, just enough to add a slight pink/orange tint to the flour. then I dip the fillet in beaten eggs and roll in crushed corn flakes, which you can purchase already crushed alot cheaper then if you crush your own. Then I either pan fry at med heat or deep fry. This gives them a great taste and wont take away the great flavor of the elusive bluegill. Also if you try the potato flakes note that some are larger flakes then others and don't stick as well. I like the Hungry Jack the best, they are smaller flakes. Good luck fishing everybody

Gillgraber

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2003, 07:07 PM »
I almost forgot, try dipping the cooked fillets in a mixture of mustard and mayo. Sound's funny but mmmmmmmm boy, good stuff

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2003, 04:04 PM »
bread crumbs or beer batter then fry in peanut oil mmmmm mmmmm good
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:bluegill eating
« Reply #22 on: Apr 30, 2003, 08:00 AM »
eggs,breadcrumbs and hot veggie oil does the trick
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Corn flake crumbs
  Flower and egg wash and put them in corn flake crumbs. The Corn flakes add a little sweetness to the felets. Another way is to grind them add ground onion mashed tater peper salt make a fish pattie fry till golden brown then pig out on em. Any way you serve fresh fish is great by me love it all ways
Cold Feet

acsacmboy

« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:56 AM »
beer bettered and panfried are the best ways.

acsacmboy

« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:57 AM »
battered not bettered. my bad

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2004, 07:14 PM »
I like fish, NOT batter.  So mine MUST be light.  One of the BEST commercials I have found is ANDY'S.  Find it at Fleet Farm. For your own:  flour in a bowl, mix in Lwry's seaonming to taste and pepper to taste.

Either one, roll damp fillets in either, drop in hot peanut oil.  ENJOYYY!!!!!!!!!!!  :P
GILLCRAZY

Offline BigBear68

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2004, 06:04 PM »
All of this frying....hmmm
One of my favorite ways is to fillet the gills. Get a pot of boiling water and throw them in. Let them cook for a couple of minutes take them out and put them in ice water. Let them get nice and cold...Dip in some cocktail sauce and mmmm, mmmm, good! Really good with a mess of perch as well....."Poor Mans Shrimp"!

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:36 PM »
I like to put the fillets in a milk/egg combination... Then cover with breadcrumbs and deep fry.  They taste GREAT!!!

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Forgot another recipe. Butter or oil a good sized piece of aluminum foil. Put down a layer of fish, salt and pepper to taste, onions to taste, then repeat until you have what you want to eat. Pour over a can of Campbell's Cream of Celery soup and seal the foil.
Cook on medium hot grill turning after the first 10 minutes, then cook 10 more and they're done.  Can also be done in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Sounds wierd but excellent flavor ;D
GILLCRAZY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.