Author Topic: Recommend a spot on this pond?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recommend a spot on this pond?
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I used to fish this pond alot in the summer and beat the poo out of big gills and large mouth.  There is no contour map available but luckly google maps shows a pretty detailed view of it.  I have never been ice fishing on it (it rarely freezes but this year has been exceptionally cold) or for bluegill at all for that matter.  If my memory serves me right the dark areas in the photos are anywhere from 6-20 feet deep and the light areas are the tops of weed beds and they are anywhere from 1-6 feet deep.  Any ideas on where to start?

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Recommend a spot on this pond?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Either side of that large ridge....where the big transition is. You can easily move shallow, or deep from that area. Drill from shallow to deep(er) and jig and run. Isolate a good group of them, and get a good meal.

Sounds easy....right ? Wish it always worked, but you can't beat playing the field. It works better with a sonar, bit gun and run worked since the beginning of ice fishing (I think).

Or work from the southwest to the north east across the two deep spots. My eyes are bad, so I can't see how big the actual lake is ??? Small acreage or large ?
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:16 PM »
I would guess it is about 5 acres?  Rough measurements on google maps puts it at 300 yards by 400 yards.  At that size I should be able to turn that lake into swiss cheese in a day

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:42 PM »
guess where the edge of one of those beds would be and try to drill holes right along the edge of it up and down. that's what works for me.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Exactly....work the weeds till ya find em...I like to start shoal and work out deeper...then back up shoal till you find the magic depth....get a bunch of guys that like to fish and find em....swiss cheese it..good luck
It's all about Karma.....

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Thats the plan.  I am headed out there tomorrow to see what happens.  I will let yall know

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Drill a whole bunch of holes is all I can say but I would try to stick the edge of weedlines.

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.