Author Topic: refilling the small green LP tanks??  (Read 24194 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: refilling the small green LP tanks??
« Reply #180 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:39 PM »
This is the procedure i use:
1. Let empties get up to room temp.
2. bring 20lber inside and put in front of wookstove to warm(very dangerous, continuous supervision required!)
3. take warm 1lbers outside and screw adapter into them to totally empty them, unscrew adapter and put in freezer
4. turn 20lber upside-down on counter and hook up adapter
5. screw on 1lber. and open valve for about 1 min. and close.
6. unscrew 1lber from adapter FIRST!!!!!
7. put 20lber back outside.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO REFILL 1LB. TANKS IN NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say is WOW!!! Plus I have a question... Do you make sure that you stir and stoke the fire while you are playing with the propane? On the counter.... REALLY?? And thirdly.... it may be legal to refill them in NY (it is in some states), however, it is illegal to TRANSPORT them by a Dept. Of Transportation regulation. That's a national agency boys, so it's illegal to transport them on any road or hiway in ANY of our 50 states. Once again.... REALLY??? .... by the wood stove???? WOW!!! People PLEASE do not take this advice!!

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Yeah It's also illegal to transport more than 8gallons of gas in portable containers without a hazmat licence
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:01 PM »
      Getting away from the 1 lb tanks but I gotta say it tics me off that 11 liter refillables(2.64 gal.) are
being manufactured in the UK by R.P.I.Co. and the same size tanks are pretty much available through Europe and you can even get them I believe easily in the Philipines but not here in the good old U.S. It figures >:(

Spin

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #183 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:46 PM »
4 minutes with a phone and a computer folks
1) it is not illegal to transport refilled cylinders for personal use. a quote from U.S.C title49 chapter51 regarding the transport of these cylinders
"The purpose of this chapter is
    to protect against the risks to life, property, and the environment
    that are inherent in the transportation of hazardous material in
    intrastate, interstate, and foreign commerce"

STATUTE-
      In this chapter -
        (1) "commerce" means trade or transportation in the
      jurisdiction of the United States -
          (A) between a place in a State and a place outside of the
        State;
          (B) that affects trade or transportation between a place in a
        State and a place outside of the State; or
          (C) on a United States-registered aircraft.

The code is intended for those qualified Transportation of Dangerous Goods in the act of "commerce" as defined above.

2) it is not and never has been "federally" illegal to refill these cylinders unless doing so within the act of "commerce" as defined above. This may however be illegal in some states, I can't comment either way.

For those of us living in the great white North, The USC is still governing here under an intergovernmental agreement on transport of dangerous goods that dates back to the 70's. It is also quite legal to refill and transport them here for personal use.

If you don't buy this argument please do yourself a service and call the Dept of transport yourself. Send me a PM and I will email you the entire document for your reading pleasure.

The key folks is a respect for the substance not a fear, if you fear it you have no business using it. For those refilling....stay safe folks, for those not refilling, fine.

good nite and tight lines all
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #184 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:36 PM »
All I can say is WOW!!! Plus I have a question... Do you make sure that you stir and stoke the fire while you are playing with the propane? On the counter.... REALLY?? And thirdly.... it may be legal to refill them in NY (it is in some states), however, it is illegal to TRANSPORT them by a Dept. Of Transportation regulation. That's a national agency boys, so it's illegal to transport them on any road or hiway in ANY of our 50 states. Once again.... REALLY??? .... by the wood stove???? WOW!!! People PLEASE do not take this advice!!
applys to commerce

Yeah It's also illegal to transport more than 8gallons of gas in portable containers without a hazmat licence
not true
4 minutes with a phone and a computer folks
1) it is not illegal to transport refilled cylinders for personal use. a quote from U.S.C title49 chapter51 regarding the transport of these cylinders
"The purpose of this chapter is
    to protect against the risks to life, property, and the environment
    that are inherent in the transportation of hazardous material in
    intrastate, interstate, and foreign commerce"

STATUTE-
      In this chapter -
        (1) "commerce" means trade or transportation in the
      jurisdiction of the United States -
          (A) between a place in a State and a place outside of the
        State;
          (B) that affects trade or transportation between a place in a
        State and a place outside of the State; or
          (C) on a United States-registered aircraft.

The code is intended for those qualified Transportation of Dangerous Goods in the act of "commerce" as defined above.

2) it is not and never has been "federally" illegal to refill these cylinders unless doing so within the act of "commerce" as defined above. This may however be illegal in some states, I can't comment either way.

For those of us living in the great white North, The USC is still governing here under an intergovernmental agreement on transport of dangerous goods that dates back to the 70's. It is also quite legal to refill and transport them here for personal use.

If you don't buy this argument please do yourself a service and call the Dept of transport yourself. Send me a PM and I will email you the entire document for your reading pleasure.

The key folks is a respect for the substance not a fear, if you fear it you have no business using it. For those refilling....stay safe folks, for those not refilling, fine.

Getting warmer :)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:57 PM »

RITE ON BROTHER!!!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #186 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Let it rest for petes sake thats why were in US do what u want suffer consequences.Isnt the 20 gals of gas strapped under your car basically a bomb,also a refillable tank ;) ;D ;D
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I agree...Please let this topic DIE  :%$#!: :%$#!: Way too many opinions to even make sence anymore ???

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:53 AM »
  Pretty simple, if you don't like the music change the station, if you don't like the TV program don't watch, if you don't like the thread - ignore it. With all the posts we've all made and replied to does everyone feel compelled to reply to every
one, of course not. ;)

Spin

Offline Madbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:55 AM »
tried to fill tank today  :-[ blew my d**n hand right off  :embarassed: OK though that's why god gave us two,gonna be harder to unhook them fish though  ;)
MADBOMBER ><))))))))))))))(*>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.