Author Topic: Snowdog, not a sled and not a bike....please.  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Snowdog, not a sled and not a bike....please.
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Looking into a future purchase of a Snowdog, pros/cons and would you buy another one. Model and Why?
Thanks in advance Fry Flier...

Reasons 63 yrs. old and pulling gear gets harder as we keep adding more. I started out many years ago with a hand-cut jig stick a Rocket lure and a 6" Mora hand auger. Not anymore, maybe I should go backwards because I believe I caught more fish then as well....lol
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snowdog, not a sled and not a bike....please.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:29 PM »
6" blue Mora ? Surely you jest.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Looking into a future purchase of a Snowdog, pros/cons and would you buy another one. Model and Why?
Thanks in advance Fry Flier...

Reasons 63 yrs. old and pulling gear gets harder as we keep adding more. I started out many years ago with a hand-cut jig stick a Rocket lure and a 6" Mora hand auger. Not anymore, maybe I should go backwards because I believe I caught more fish then as well....lol

I was in the same pickle at 65 and bought the Snow Dog machine because most of my fishing buddies are still working and can't go like I can. Yes, they do pull a heavy load quite well with a few modifications. Kold Kutter ice screws it the track for glare ice is #1. Buy a machine that has the reverse option or forget about buying one at all. Depending on how you transport your gear, covered or open truck or trailer you might want a good cover to keep road crap off. They are top heavy and tippy until you get used to driving it and they do take some upper body strength to run them in uneven terrain. Out on the ice they do their job well and can move you along at around 20 MPH if you are in a rush or going far on a big lake. Like any other machines be sure to stay away from slush like the kind I get here, 4 inches of crusty snow on top of half frozen water on top of the ice. They blast right through snow banks just fine but slush deeper than the height of the front track is a PITA.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:02 AM »
I do believe that if this happens it will be with reverse, I almost pulled the pin on one towards the end of the season, the dealer did not have one with a reverse in stock so pun intended I backed out of the purchase.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:03 AM »
I am looking at getting one as well.  Does any one have experance with the compact modle?  Does it pull like the full size?  Easier to handle?  More or less tippy?  Also can you put the revirse kit one the compact version?  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and would really like to get my hands on one!  Thanks

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:23 PM »
I am looking at getting one as well.  Does any one have experance with the compact modle?  Does it pull like the full size?  Easier to handle?  More or less tippy?  Also can you put the revirse kit one the compact version?  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and would really like to get my hands on one!  Thanks
Yes you can buy a reverse kit that fits the compact model. I am about ready to pull the trigger on one right now if I can ever find one at a somewhat decent price.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:10 PM »
I'm about 65 now and I've been wrestling with this problem for a few years now. I'm not sure if the snow-dog is legal in PA where I ice fish. I 've been leaniong toward an electric bicycle solution which I believe will be legal in PA. I hope. Either way either one anywhere other than PA for instance sure beats dragging the heavy ass sled out at my age. lol lol  I've been lightening up for a good many years now and the dang thing seems to keep on getting heavier. lol lol  :) :o :o :) :tipup: :tipup:
ttt

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Think you'll ever get enough ice in PA to use the thing? 

I used to make a trip to PA every year for the hard water.  But anymore ya can't plan on safe ice like ya could 20 years ago. 

That's a shame...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:40 AM »
I'm about 65 now and I've been wrestling with this problem for a few years now. I'm not sure if the snow-dog is legal in PA where I ice fish. I 've been leaniong toward an electric bicycle solution which I believe will be legal in PA. I hope. Either way either one anywhere other than PA for instance sure beats dragging the heavy ass sled out at my age. lol lol  I've been lightening up for a good many years now and the dang thing seems to keep on getting heavier. lol lol  :) :o :o :) :tipup: :tipup:

Any place in PA that allows snowmobiles and ATVs on the ice should have no issue with a Snow Dog or any other tow machine. I have seen guys here use their tracked snowblower doing the towing while blowing the path before them. These are all grey areas so far as I know here in the NE.

Gam

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:11 AM »
They are very tippy in any snow over 10 inches and don't turn easily. Once tipped over they are very heavy to right for us old men. Reverse is good to have as are picks.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:30 AM »
They are very tippy in any snow over 10 inches and don't turn easily. Once tipped over they are very heavy to right for us old men. Reverse is good to have as are picks.

This is a poor picture of my machine but note in the front where I installed grab handles on both sides to aid in lifting the machine after it tips over. Snow Dog failed to make any place to grab or lift from if it does tip or lay over on it's side and yes, they sure can tip over if you are on uneven terrain or hit and old track the wrong way.

Gam

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:51 AM »
saving up my spare fun tickets for one.  Probably get one for next season. Seems like Reverse is worth the money so that is good to know.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Thanks so much for the info fisher's and users, did not realise how top-heavy they are. That being said I believe that it is still a good option for me.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:44 PM »
Fry Flyer,  I work for a consulting forestry company and were currently experimenting with sno dogs. We bought one as a test for the season and will look to add more potentially. We use it in the woods, literally between trees and down logging roads. These roads are some times rutted out and not easy for our tundras to go down. With all of this said I really like the machine and think for ice fishing it would be an awesome tool. Heres what I can tell you about them, they're strong we pulled two sleds with 200+ lbs guys through the woods. We work in the U.P. of MI and have already hit 200" of snow and have seen most conditions. In areas with minimal snow and a hard crust it is very difficult to maneuver.  The more snow we have the easier it is to carve through the snow, its almost like running a hand held rototiller, it pulls and you have to use leverage to turn. There is a definite learning curve to them and getting reverse is a must. Most of our guys are younger and in great shape, honestly about half the guys like it and the other half dont. It sounded like your older and if your not in good shape this could lead to some issues. If I was you I would look to demo one before I bought one. Again it is a great tool but comes with a bit of a learning curve. Good luck.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:18 AM »
i still find it strange people will pay $3500 for the back half of a snomobile. just get a snowmobile. be comfortable, wont tip, has reverse...am i wrong?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Around here you can get a older running sled for around $500!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:59 AM »
i still find it strange people will pay $3500 for the back half of a snomobile. just get a snowmobile. be comfortable, wont tip, has reverse...am i wrong?

NOT WRONG! But you seem to be missing the points regarding these NON VEHICLE tow machines. Snowmobiles have VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and must be registered every year and here in NY you must have a plate and insurance on the machine and pay the state tax. Some snowmobiles can be good tow vehicles if you set it up with a legal hitch on the rear and a solid tow bar to the towed gear. Then you will need a lot of room in your truck or trailer to get the machine to and from the lakes you fish. In the off season you also need a lot of room in your storage area unless you just leave your stuff out in the weather.
Snow Dogs require a 3 foot by 5 foot spot in your truck, trailer and shed. They come with the tow hitch and you don't ride in or on a SD, it is simply a tow machine and does not have VIN or registration numbers and they don't need to be registered and insured every year. If you like snowmobiles or ATVs then just get one of them and pay the annual fees to keep them insured and legal to be on the ice. BTW, many older snowmobiles did not have the reverse option and none of them go backwards very well anyway, just like the tow dog machines.
There sure could be some interesting legal issues with these homemade and chopped snowmobiles turned into snow dog tow machines. They still do have vehicle ID numbers unlike the factory made snow dogs. They sure could be required to be registered and insured as vehicles. No one seems to know what the outcome will be as the snow dog machines become more popular. I have not seen any new laws or rules here YET. On the ice I have seen guys on snowmobiles and ATVs get tickets for no registration, no insurance and for not wearing helmets and ordered off the ice immediately but the LEOs have never even come near me to even check. This sure could change but for now as long as the lake allows motorized vehicles the snow dog is legal for towing your gear in and out.
If you need or want something to tow with then just get whatever floats your boat and there is no argument on which is better because it depends on what you like.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Around here you can get a older running sled for around $500!

Around here you could probably find a decent sled for close to the $500 but then you need close to another $500 yearly to keep it registered and insured.

Gam

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Great points.  I just wish we could get enough ice to walk on let alone have any type of motorized transportation on!  One of the reasons sleds are so cheap here, we rarely get enough snow either.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Around here you could probably find a decent sled for close to the $500 but then you need close to another $500 yearly to keep it registered and insured.

Gam

I know NY is a different animal than most of the rest of the country, but registering and insuring a "toy" vehicle here in Iowa is probably more like $100 a year.  Progressive has liability only 'recreational' vehicle policies for $75 a year.  If you had a $500 machine, you're probably not going to put physical damage coverage on it, so you'd only need the liability coverage.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I am considering it for a few reasons and the one has not even been touched other than by  BowHunter1527, year-round usage. I can see me using the snowdog here summer spring fall and winter.
https://youtu.be/wAi59rOviWs

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:46 AM »
I have toyed with this idea as well. One spot I used to love fishing closes a gate after camping season so it is a 3/4 mile walk to the water. The sign says "No Motorized Vehicles" past this point. When the gate is open during the season the same sign is there at the open gate and they mean No ATVs or Motorcycles but cars and campers go up all the time. I would use the snow dog up to the water and on the road only and drag my gear out onto the ice under leg power just to try to have a valid excuse. I would love to see a disabled veteran drive up there in a Track Chair and I bet they would not hassel him at all. We had another place close to my home that said "No ATVs, Snowmobiles or ORVs" so a guy riding a dual sport road legal MC drove past the sign and got a ticket. The judge tossed the ticket out but they changed the sign to include no motorcycles.
Basically, I think it will all depend on the DNR or DEC officer you run into. Some would give you a ticket just for breathing while others are just regular guys doing a job and not out to harass anyone. I suspect if all you are doing is towing your gear and not out playing on the machine once you get set up you might be OK or just get a warning.

Gam

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Damn Glad I live in Idaho... F&G don't usually mess with us Ol'Boyz out here too much. They are fairly nice and respectful....Unless you are doing something wrong. So Do they give ya crap about having a Motorized Auger? Seems to me SnowDog just a Motorized tool. Heard of a tracked snowblower some guy used to pull his sleds. Its a rototiller with a track, its a tool, not a vehicle, no vin, .... I know I know arguing with the man doesn't always work out the best.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Damn Glad I live in Idaho... F&G don't usually mess with us Ol'Boyz out here too much. They are fairly nice and respectful....Unless you are doing something wrong. So Do they give ya crap about having a Motorized Auger? Seems to me SnowDog just a Motorized tool. Heard of a tracked snowblower some guy used to pull his sleds. Its a rototiller with a track, its a tool, not a vehicle, no vin, .... I know I know arguing with the man doesn't always work out the best.

Here in NY it depends on the lands status. Some places are what they list as "Wild Forest Lands" so no motorized nothing is allowed. No vehicles, no chain saws, generators or gas motors and some even refuse electric boat motors. Most of our DEC Environmental Conservation Officers are very respectful and mostly just good guys protecting the animals and lakes. They check for licenses and over limits/under size fish but are not usually out to get you. The new and youngers guys tend to start out enforcing every little violation and overdoing their jobs but they tend to chill after a few years. Lots of times when they give you a ticket that means they have to go to court when you go and that is a PITA for them.
I have never not been completely legal while fishing so never had any issue but one time my fishing buddy forgot to bring his license with him and got told to stop fishing and then had to mail a copy of it within a week or the ticket would be issued. Good thing he did have one and just left it home. The law is it must be on your person while fishing but they don't get too upset if it is in your truck and you can go get it quick.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:27 PM »
If you think of a Snowdog as "motorized trudging" then you understand it. It does amazing things on the flats in snow that you can walk through pulling heavier loads than you can. But in the slush.... and also in the deep slush you also have a trudging problem. Once snowshoes break though to slush, pulling a sled is not fun, or even less fun if it started out to be no fun.

Recommendation: If I were to purchase a Snowdog new now, I would but the standard with reverse. As covered earlier on other threads, power is not the limitation, but traction. A  compact model simply has less traction. If, however, you fish on lakes with little or no snow, a compact with carbide studs would be fine. Those are not my normal conditions,so I would stick to the standard model.

I am thankful every time I leave and return, I get to ride instead of trudging and my "hour commute" shrunk to 10 minutes or so. Snowdog was a life changer for me. I simply did not want a snowmobile. To big, to hard to store and somehow not my image. I am a happy customer.

In conclusion, if an Electric Bike can pull it, then a Snowdog (even a compact) will pull 10X what the bike pulled.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:46 PM »
I talked to a DNR officer one time about being handicapped and using a snowmobile to access the lake.  I asked why I couldn't do it and he said if they let me do it, then others would be out on the state land tearing up the woods.  My response, If they are out in the woods tearing it up, give em a ticket.  Let the people alone who just want to access the lake for fishing.  It would appear common sense doesn't exist in Michigan's DNR.  I sure would like to be able to afford a dog, I'd certainly take it out on the ice and would love the opportunity to fight the ticket!

One significant point is that it is NOT a vehicle because you do not ride it or on it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:16 PM »
NOT WRONG! But you seem to be missing the points regarding these NON VEHICLE tow machines. Snowmobiles have VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and must be registered every year and here in NY you must have a plate and insurance on the machine and pay the state tax. Some snowmobiles can be good tow vehicles if you set it up with a legal hitch on the rear and a solid tow bar to the towed gear. Then you will need a lot of room in your truck or trailer to get the machine to and from the lakes you fish. In the off season you also need a lot of room in your storage area unless you just leave your stuff out in the weather.
Snow Dogs require a 3 foot by 5 foot spot in your truck, trailer and shed. They come with the tow hitch and you don't ride in or on a SD, it is simply a tow machine and does not have VIN or registration numbers and they don't need to be registered and insured every year. If you like snowmobiles or ATVs then just get one of them and pay the annual fees to keep them insured and legal to be on the ice. BTW, many older snowmobiles did not have the reverse option and none of them go backwards very well anyway, just like the tow dog machines.
There sure could be some interesting legal issues with these homemade and chopped snowmobiles turned into snow dog tow machines. They still do have vehicle ID numbers unlike the factory made snow dogs. They sure could be required to be registered and insured as vehicles. No one seems to know what the outcome will be as the snow dog machines become more popular. I have not seen any new laws or rules here YET. On the ice I have seen guys on snowmobiles and ATVs get tickets for no registration, no insurance and for not wearing helmets and ordered off the ice immediately but the LEOs have never even come near me to even check. This sure could change but for now as long as the lake allows motorized vehicles the snow dog is legal for towing your gear in and out.
If you need or want something to tow with then just get whatever floats your boat and there is no argument on which is better because it depends on what you like.

Gam
I’m sorry gam but your wrong and missing the point of the snow dog v. snowmobile. yes snowmobiles need to be registered and insured to be used anywhere but your own property, I live in ny and my fees related to those req are less then $200. A hard tow bar is only required for a sled if someone is riding in it behind the snowmobile. And here in wonderful nys it’s already being processed to make snow dogs need registration by using the vin and yes I said vin because all engines have a serial number and when it it mounted to anything for movement becomes the vin.

The main purpose of the dog is it’s weight to tow ability we are talking about apron 300# give or take that has almost 6sq ft of contact with the ground I’m no mathematician but by my calculations they require less ice then you or I do to stay on top. Me personally I’m 205# and have less then 1sq ft of contact which makes 1.42361111psi for me and the dog would have .347222222psi so that’s what it’s about and they are all season machines with bogeys and not hyfaxs. Tho they are advertised more so for ice fishing.
Please be more accurate with statements or direct them to the snowdog site  www.snowdog.com
And I don’t know if I did the math right for psi but you get the idea good luck and stay safe guys. Good luck with your choice.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:31 PM »
I’m sorry gam but your wrong and missing the point of the snow dog v. snowmobile. yes snowmobiles need to be registered and insured to be used anywhere but your own property, I live in ny and my fees related to those req are less then $200. A hard tow bar is only required for a sled if someone is riding in it behind the snowmobile. And here in wonderful nys it’s already being processed to make snow dogs need registration by using the vin and yes I said vin because all engines have a serial number and when it it mounted to anything for movement becomes the vin.

The main purpose of the dog is it’s weight to tow ability we are talking about apron 300# give or take that has almost 6sq ft of contact with the ground I’m no mathematician but by my calculations they require less ice then you or I do to stay on top. Me personally I’m 205# and have less then 1sq ft of contact which makes 1.42361111psi for me and the dog would have .347222222psi so that’s what it’s about and they are all season machines with bogeys and not hyfaxs. Tho they are advertised more so for ice fishing.
Please be more accurate with statements or direct them to the snowdog site  www.snowdog.com
And I don’t know if I did the math right for psi but you get the idea good luck and stay safe guys. Good luck with your choice.

There is no Snow Dog Vs. Snowmobile comparisons. If you have the requirements to have a snowmobile then just go get one. I don't honestly care what anyone has or wants for towing their gear. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

You sure are wrong about a couple statements you made. First, an engine serial number is NOT a VIN number according to my DMV office here and Snow Dogs cannot be registered Unless they are considered a Vehicle and have a VIN Number plate on them. All of my motorcycles have VIN numbers on the frames and different engine serial numbers weather they are road legal or just dirt bikes. Second is that a hard hitch tow bar is required for any towed attachments here in NY weather it be a snow dog, snowmobile or an ATV. PSI calculations as far as I am concerned are nothing more than bunk. I don't go on ice with any machine until we get a solid 6 inches and even then I steer clear of known springs and currents. Before I got the Snow Dog I had a Polaris SXS RZR that worked fine with chains. Insurance cost me $230 every year plus the registration and plates and don't forget the vehicle tax on $14,000 which was almost $1200 the first year.
You could be right that NY and probably some other states are already working to figure some way to get their taxes and pounds of flesh from us and force them to be registered but they are having trouble calling it a vehicle since it does not get ridden on or in and it has no steering gears. If the state wins this battle then get ready to register your riding and propelled lawn mowers, rototillers and snow blowers if you ever take them off your property. This is New York after all.
I use mine all year round and pull my kayaks up to the lake with it over hard packed wood roads. I fetch firewood and I sure would drag a deer or bear out if I was still hunting. I don't need snow. A Snow dog weather factory or home made is not for everyone so please be clear about that. Over on the motorcycle forums I frequent there is a constant battle about "Which Oil Is Best". There are a hundred different brands and blends and every argument about them is down right stupid. Use what you like and trust.

My brother moved south and gave me his nice snowmobile in near new condition after 2 years with not enough snow to use it here for helping him with the move. I sold it and bought the Snow Dog and my new Otter 4 man shanty and had money left over. That was my choice and my only complaint is there were no models with reverse to be had. Snowmobile guys love snowmobiles and ATV guys love ATVs and most guys who bought or built snow dog machines are pretty happy with them. Up north in the Adirondacks I would certainly go for a snowmobile but there are just too many winters here in Sullivan county when we don't have enough snow to use them other than on frozen lakes. We also do not have any designated snowmobile trails in this county and must go north or west to ride any.

Gam

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:47 PM »
Did not mean to get off topic here I apologize about that good luck with your choice. Gam this was a big thing last year and talked with dec on a few issues they cleared some up which is where I got some info. Gam if you want to continue this pm me and I’ll tell you the info they told me face to face. Diff was a lot of gray areas and bs clauses.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Fishing is fishing and I believe I have the info I need. Thank you.
I will be locking this down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.