Author Topic: crappie - perch rod suggestions  (Read 5002 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
crappie - perch rod suggestions
« on: Sep 15, 2019, 02:46 PM »
I am in need of some suggestions on a jigging rod for crappie and yellow perch , I have a 28 '' st croix premier medium power rod that has been used for everything including crappie and yellow perch with 1/8 oz jigging spoons , I just do not know which lighter rods  to look at  . any help appreciated   THANKS

Offline Sierra57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: crappie - perch rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I've been using Tuned Up Custom Rods for a couple years now and I have zero complaints with them. The Precision Noodle is my go to Crappie and Bluegill rod, they also have a chart that explains their line up here --->  https://tunedupcustomrods.com/uploads/2018/02/TUCR-Rod-Spectrum-and-Ordering-Options-2017-NP-1.pdf

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2019, 10:14 PM »
For me I use a 24" med action rod with a spring bobber (flat blade type).   I use mostly 1/32 oz jigs.  I can detect the slightest movement and set the hook.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2019, 10:17 PM »
Not sure what your budget is but the Jason Mitchell Dead Meat rods are pretty decent for the money and very sensitive. It all depends what you want to spend but there are many options at a wide range of prices
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I set up a 36” med haat rod. Perfect for panfish. The action is very soft.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:15 AM »
https://www.thornebros.com/collections/ice-rod perch sweatheart or quiver stick

cheaper:
Jason Mitchell MeatStick
Beaver dam glass noodle or Ti tip stick
no8 snitch

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2019, 08:22 AM »
27" UL or L Tickle Stick.  3lb braided main line to a fluorocarbon leader.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:31 AM »

cheaper:
Jason Mitchell MeatStick
Beaver dam glass noodle

x2

There are also many good “garage builders” out there that can make you a great custom rod.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:39 AM »
I am in need of some suggestions on a jigging rod for crappie and yellow perch , I have a 28 '' st croix premier medium power rod that has been used for everything including crappie and yellow perch with 1/8 oz jigging spoons , I just do not know which lighter rods  to look at  . any help appreciated   THANKS

Coming from a St Croix Premier M power rod, I would suggest going to a St Croix Mojo 28" ML power as it would be very familiar in feel.  The Clam Carbon Ice series sold by Cabela's in a 32" ML or 28" L would also be a wonderful step up.  Also look into the Fenwick Aetos 28" ML. 

I still use my Thorne Bros Panfish and Perch Sweetheart rods, but the custom one I use the most is my Thorne Bros Panfish Sweetheart one for everything from panfish to catfish.  There is just something about them that when jigging, hook setting, to playing the fish to pull them through the hole that seems to be in sync with me with those rods.  They do come with a cost and getting a personally custom rod is where it's worth it over the retail version.  I do not like the retail off the shelf version that much even though I started with those.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I prefer the Shakespeare noodle ice rods. Usually about $10. I have a 24, 28, and a 32. Best light rod I have used, I have a 28” tickle stick and rarely ever use it. 90% of the fishing I do is for blue gill, crappie and perch.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2019, 04:42 PM »
I have been using the St. Croix Premier light and UL for about 5 years and they are great. I caught a 4 pound smallie thru the ice with the light rod. I uses the Light for jigging slender spoons and such and the UL for tungsten jigs.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Last year I picked up  TUCR Fusion. I got it mostly for perch fishing, but have also used it for crappies. Very happy with it so far, I use 1/16oz and 1/8oz baits. It is a good rod to have along with a noodle type rod that they make for light-bite or smaller baits

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Absolutely love my TUCR Bullwhip paired with a Black Betty Freefall.  Super sensitive on the 4" monster perch in our local pond but had enough backbone to handle the Cascade jumbos last winter with no problem.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Have a couple of tickle sticks, a couple of Fenwick. Couple of not sure from 40 years ago. Not a fan of spring bobbers. I have seen folks using everything for panfish, guess it just depends how much cash you want to spend. Don’t be too stuck on name brands. Most of my rods are between 25” & 27”, UL up to ML, one medium, I use with a jaw-jacker. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2019, 08:16 PM »
For me I use a 24" med action rod with a spring bobber (flat blade type).   I use mostly 1/32 oz jigs.  I can detect the slightest movement and set the hook.

X2.  I use a medium rod w St Croix light spring bobber.  Very sensitive and plenty of backbone.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:24 PM »

Sounds same as mine I use schoolly spring bobbers so x2?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Want to check out some real nice ice fishing rods. Look to Limit Creek. Many of us know about the open water Smoothie. Now check out their ice rods. http://www.limitcreek.com/
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Want to check out some real nice ice fishing rods. Look to Limit Creek. Many of us know about the open water Smoothie. Now check out their ice rods. http://www.limitcreek.com/

I looked at the website. Nice looking ice rods. Have you fished them?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2019, 10:42 PM »

cheaper:
Jason Mitchell MeatStick
Beaver dam glass noodle or Ti tip stick
no8 snitch

I bought a perch sweetheart.....was NOT impressed. I dropped $75 on it....to many $30-$40 rods that are comparable.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 01, 2019, 06:43 AM »
I have a couple St. Croix premiers but when the slabs are biting I grab the 24" ML St. Croix Legend silver. I got it teamed up with a 4bb Accucast reel.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2019, 06:33 PM »

Not sure on what you want to spend. If you are wanting a really really sweet rod check out Adam Bricker. His company is called brickers custom rods. He has taken art, functionality, and preformance mixed them together for some of the best rods on the market. If you like them you need to talk to him in advance he gets booked up very very quick.

My favorite rod of his are micro liners. He makes an ice Rod handle with a removable butt that works as a hook remover. Then the handle takes compression blanks. So you can put a blank in to panfish, ro move it and put a blank in for walley/pike. Below is pics of the latest one he made.

I've been so impressed with his rods I've bought 5 of them......Ben thinking about getting a 6th.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2019, 08:33 PM »
I'll be the odd one out, read cheap, on this.  My go to rods especially for perch and crappie are HT Ice Blues.  I have three, one 36 inch light and two 30 inch ultra lights.  No spring bobbers needed.  I paid $10 each for two of them and won the third one in a free raffle.  Have caught from three inch perch to 10 pound channel cats, with trout, walleye and bass in between.  I will go cheap on rods but spend more on feels.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:21 AM »
Bricker is booked for the entire 2019-2020 build season....so thats likely not an option for someone looking at getting a rod for this season

Catchin' Fish

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2019, 08:58 PM »
I looked at the website. Nice looking ice rods. Have you fished them?

I have a limit creek panfish ice rod. I really like the rod for tungsten jigs and small panfish spoons. Can't beat the price either. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Sylvanboat Yes i have two of the Limit Creek Ice Rods. Lil Smoothie Ice Rod Panfish Ultra light 28 inch $28.99. I use it with Fiska's 3mm and 4mm. I like it alot. Also have the Lil Smoothie Ice Rod Walleye med power fast action 30 inch $28.99. Have not used it yet. But will be towards the end of Dec on Lake of the Woods.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:26 AM »
X2 on HT Ice Blues!!  :thumbsup: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2019, 08:39 AM »
TUCR Bullwhip is hard to beat!

On a lower budget the 13 Fishing Tickle Sticks are some of my favourite panfish rods!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Bricker is booked for the entire 2019-2020 build season....so thats likely not an option for someone looking at getting a rod for this season

I can believe it. 2-3 years ago I called him to make my walleye master Rod in September. Just got it befor my trip on dec. 19th that year. I'm not supprised he is booked up.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2019, 09:49 AM »
TUCR Bullwhip is hard to beat!

On a lower budget the 13 Fishing Tickle Sticks are some of my favourite panfish rods!

Tickle sticks in L and UL are all I use for jigging.  Much nicer than dealing with a spring bobber IMO.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Tickle sticks in L and UL are all I use for jigging.  Much nicer than dealing with a spring bobber IMO.

Have to agree with this.  Switched over to the Ticklesticks that past 3 years and like this setup better.  Found an outfitter selling closeouts of the older units and was sold. Ended up getting two more for this year.  L and UL are the ones I target. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.