Author Topic: Eskimo problems?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo problems?
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 PM »
I am looking at getting a power auger in the near future, my hope is before Christmas.  I have been doing my due diligence and like the Eskimo Mako (8” or 10” not sure yet input welcome).  I was talking with a friend the other night, who happens to be died in the wool Strikemaster, and he said that he has heard that Eskimos are more trouble than they are worth.  I am looking for reports from guys who have newer Eskimos that have either had good luck or bad luck with them, or guys who know others that have had good/bad luck with theirs.  Again looking for feedback on newer auger as I will be buying one new.

Thanks
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo problems?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Go to the Community Page,scroll all the way down to Equipment and then click on Ice augers at the top. Find the thread called. F.O.E.A.O. Read there.
<===Lefty===

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Just like everything else, they all are awesome when they work, and junk when they don't!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Eskimo's are certainly NOT more trouble than they are worth.  They are the best bang for the buck auger out there.  They are VERY reliable, start 1 to 2 pulls ALWAYS, and run great.  Do your research, but don't be afraid of the Eskimos.  I have had a Stingray for 4 or 5 years now, and it's great.  I got rid of my old Jiffy model 30 with the tecumseh to get it, and I have no regrets.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Go to the Community Page,scroll all the way down to Equipment and then click on Ice augers at the top. Find the thread called. F.O.E.A.O. Read there.
X2
I got a 10 inch mako last year punched at least a thousand holes last season with no problems at all. Starts first or second pull everytime. I punch anywhere from 10 to 100 holes an outing depending on how much we chase the fish. And near the end of the season our ice up here is nearly 5ft thick. I use an 18 inch extension on my auger. The flyte is 42 inches and 18 inch extension and almost bottom out the auger.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Best damned auger for the money, IMO. Follow lefty's advice and get some real input from the F.O.E.A.O....not hearsay.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I just purchased a new Eskimo Shark z51 8" based on extensive research. My head was spinning, believe me. I simply wanted to find the best auger.

Speed
Weight
Reliablility

I move around alot and need to punch alot of holes so I didnt want to purchase the wrong auger. I read all the threads on here, from every auger maker and sites outside of Iceshanty.

1. I dont like plastic parts, I dont care what everyone else says about this, small plastic and cold=brittle
2. I want power and speed with as little weight as possible
3. Price didnt matter really, planned for around $500.

Final result was the Eskimo based on the experience of Eskimo owners.

To my amazement, I found it online at Glens for $309 plus shipping to Michigan+ $22.00.  On its way now for $331.

That leaves $170 for Amsoil and its first tank of gas. I think Ill buy some Fiskas and Marmooskas now as well!!!

My advice would be to research it yourself and dont take one persons word on your final decision. Either way, I hope your cutting some holes soon!!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:32 PM »
Hey Nanook, You'll be hard pressed to snag a fish that won't come up through an eight inch hole, and most of the time a five incher is plenty. That's just the way things work with our luck.

I've always thought of a ten inch hole to be a perfect trap for some poor unsuspecting ice walker and if they just happen to be a youngster OR the hole has blown snow to disguise it the resulting disaster might make for a bad day.    :nono:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.0

Offline Zolar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:53 PM »
I've been using mine for 3 years, not one problem.  I punch minimum of 50 holes per outing

Offline WaxieWorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Bought my Shark Z51 from Glen's too - and it came with a free auger bag and $14 shipping.  I was all set for under $340.  I have friends with both Strikemasters and Eskimos - and I've used both.  IMO, the Eskimo is the best - for all the reasons stated in above posts.  1 or 2 pull starts, easy to use controls with gloves on, lightweight (well, I'm 275lbs so most stuff is lightweight  ;).  Additionally, I've been told the customer service from Eskimo/Ardisam is second to none.  Parts are easy to find, source, and replace (face it, you are gonna break something) and the carb is easy to adjust. 

Strikemaster is a good auger too but my buddies have found that after 3 or 4 seasons, they are spending more time fiddling with the carb to keep it running than they actually spend popping holes.  Part of it is hauling it in a warm car and then taking it out to -10 to +20 degree temps.  That'll kill any carb but the Strikemaster seems to be more prone.  It seems too after a year or two of decent use, it becomes a 4 to 5 pull machine.

That's my 2 cents!
Pray for Ice!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:17 PM »
And a good 2 cents it is!!!! Welcome to the site, WaxieWorm!!! Hop on over to the auger site, go to the F.O.E.A.O. thread, and join the other happy 'Mo owners for some fun and games and just plain good ol' info!! :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011, 03:00 PM »
I had an older Eskimo Barracuda 2 hp and it was a piece of junk, had it in 3 times and it still did not run right.  The new ones with the Viper motors are a much improved auger at a very good price.   If I did not get a great deal on a 2.5 HP Strikemaster Solo from Glenn's last year I would of bought an Eskimo again.

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:59 PM »
bought eskimo z51 8'' 2 years ago starts 2-3 pulls every time after small adjustment on carb screw

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:13 PM »
bought a mako8" before last year ice, used it alot!!

punched many holes.

always 1-2 pulls when my buddys with their strikemasters were pulling and pulling and i would laugh at them when i had 4 holes b4 their 1 hole LOL

its a bit on the bulky side. heavier than the strike master i beleive.   good power but there are many out there that will make the make 8 look slow.  i did smoke some older model SM's. lol

seems to leek alittle grease/oil from the case but from what i heard thats kinda the norm on these.

yr 2 comming up and im sure it will be my best friend once again ^^

also, for 300 bones, its a great deal!!!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Anyone that thinks that one particular brand of ice auger is totally junk just doesn't know how to adjust a carburetor!!!  heck, most of them have the same exact motors in them just different handles and shrouds. 

unless an auger has been owned and abused by someone that doesn't know how to adjust a carb for a while (and has smoked the motor and/or the blades trashed) then there is no reason that any auger out there won't do exactly what you want it to do. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Anyone that thinks that one particular brand of ice auger is totally junk just doesn't know how to adjust a carburetor!!!  heck, most of them have the same exact motors in them just different handles and shrouds. 

unless an auger has been owned and abused by someone that doesn't know how to adjust a carb for a while (and has smoked the motor and/or the blades trashed) then there is no reason that any auger out there won't do exactly what you want it to do.

It is just like ATV's they are all good these days. It is the owners and the way they treat them that gives them bad reviews.
<===Lefty===

Offline Vermont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Have a eletric auger and only advice i can give is hole size. I have a 8" and it is perfect so unless you go after huge pike and other very large fish 8" should be good.
-20F is only a little chilly

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Picked up a used Jiffy earlier in the year  Absolutely pristine shape, but wasn't starting as easy as I'd expected (1-2 pulls) for the owner  What can u say - nottahonda  ehh?
The icehole pressed priming bulb beyond point of it flowing all over the auger and concrete - way ridiculous --> BUT NOT INCURABLE ;-)

Downloaded owners manual for specs read 10-15 pages: re-gapped  plug + simple PM + new fuel mix with additive - pressed fuel bulb 2x, set choke - pulled ONCE BAMMM!   All that leaves is cyclical PM on the blades .

Le Jiffy She Le Purr for De Cold Touch of De Ice!   

RTDM (READ THE DARN_MANUAL)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2011, 05:47 PM »

I agree.
I like my Eskimo as it has never failed to start and required very little maintenance. I do need to replace my centering point but it is my fault it broke.
I have had to adjust the carbs on my jiffy's. Usually when It goes from +35degreees to 0 degrees or similiar between trips. A minor adjustment with a screwdriver and they are again running like a champ.
I did break a rewind on my 10" jiffy on a remote multi day trip  and it couldn't be fixed as the spring was in a sealed housing unlike my Eskimo. I was able to make it work for the trip I was on. Bought a new rewind and it was good to go again.
Different model Tecumseh engine than my Eskimo but both are Tecumseh engines.
I believe the new Eskimos have a different engine in them nowadays.
Any well maintained power auger beats a hand auger in thick ice anyday.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.