The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Minnesotans- a Quick Question-  (Read 2402 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Minnesotans- a Quick Question-
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Alright, we have until 28Feb06, then we have to get new licenses. Can we get our '07 licenses early a few days? And another thing- am I the only person that thinks that February 28th is absolutely stupid for new licenses? Why don't they run 1st of January through the 31st of December?

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Minnesotans- a Quick Question-
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 09:29 PM »
two word for you.... no crap!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:54 AM »
I think you can pre buy your licence on line. Yeah no Shiite! Why????????

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:20 AM »
yes you can pre buy your next years lic. but make sure you still have your 06 lic on you too..

why they end the season on feb 28 06 it's a new year for them ..
always been that way be kinda hard to change it now..
Hard Ice

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Best thing to do is one year sell the yearly licenses at a discount, and tell people the reason why is that 2 months are being taken off, and they need to buy new licenses 1 January. Another thing, why doesn't walleye go out until the licenses then- february 28th? Be alot less confusion

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:06 AM »
cause this is minnesota..  lmao !
Hard Ice

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:33 AM »
 :roflmao: Gee Mr. you must not be from around here......... :D ;D
Not sure if it's a fiscal year thing or just a means of keeping the masses on their toes... welcome to Minneysota----- the land of 5000 taxes, 5000 confusing rules and a never ending supply of mosquitos ;D

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:13 AM »
I am from here, born and raised- left for awhile, but back for good probably. I can't figure any of that out, pretty dumb if you ask me. Kinda like purchasing a lifetime license, esp if you're over 50  ::)

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:40 PM »
what are the lifetime licences not worth it?

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:53 PM »
They are worth it just to not have to remember to get a new license at some odd time of the year like the end of Feb for minnesota and the end of march for ND.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:08 PM »
They are worth it, if you buy one young enough. Personally, I would not buy one if I were over 50 or 60 years old.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:29 PM »
well im over 50 and now thinking of buying one as I am more likely to forget to get the new license ;D, Gotta think posititive and plan on fishing until your 90's.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:48 PM »
well im over 50 and now thinking of buying one as I am more likely to forget to get the new license ;D, Gotta think posititive and plan on fishing until your 90's.

Wal-Mart gonna have enough greeters when you get into your 70s to cover your shift??  ;D

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:12 PM »
When Im in my 70's Ill will only be in walmart about this time of year to pick thru the ice fishing stuff that is now on sale ;),  Oh yea I was doing that last week already!   Other wise ill be out on the lake being a grumpy old man!  Fishing not working! :P

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:33 PM »
If memory serves me .. And I am dating myself here but this whole shelter thing did go with the calender till about 1969 or 70 in their some place! The trouble with that system was that mid season you had to buy a new tag for the shack .... if you built a new shack in the fall that meant one season two tags... and then real reason the CO would have to check every shack on every lake twice a year to make sure that you are in compliance. Anyway its not suppose to make sense its the government ... always remember boys Death and Taxes!!!  And another thing just for the record I would like to see the metal tag for the shack make a come back ...
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:50 PM »
If memory serves me .. And I am dating myself here but this whole shelter thing did go with the calender till about 1969 or 70 in their some place! The trouble with that system was that mid season you had to buy a new tag for the shack .... if you built a new shack in the fall that meant one season two tags... and then real reason the CO would have to check every shack on every lake twice a year to make sure that you are in compliance. Anyway its not suppose to make sense its the government ... always remember boys Death and Taxes!!!  And another thing just for the record I would like to see the metal tag for the shack make a come back ...

Metal tags don't work on portables though- they could have two diff tags though. I just bought a small utility trailer and was kinda disappointed I couldn't get a permanent license plate for it- instead I got a tongue sticker. State saving money was what I was told, might be same thing with the metal shelter tags. Remember when deer tags were metal? That was when I was a little kid- either had to slice the ear or the leg then stick it in.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:02 PM »
The reasoning around the dates is that your fishing license will expire after Walleye season closes and before it reopens.
This is MN remember, the Eye is King.

As far as shack licenses go, I still have to buy one for my portable because I always do some icefishing in March (and one year I was still on URL ice April 9th.
If the reasoning is to not have to buy two shack licenses during one icefishing season, the shack license should expire on something like the 4th of July.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.