The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: depht finder  (Read 5386 times)

bucket_butt

depht finder
« on: Nov 04, 2003, 06:01 PM »
any one have pros or cons on the flashlite style depht finders such as POLAR or Vexilar? I think it would be handy for locating "THE DEEP HOLE" or "THE BAR"

BushMaster

Re:depht finder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2003, 08:14 PM »
My brother has one and it works very well! It is compact and acurate. He has the Vexilar and it is very durable. Works through the ice just like any sonar unit.

CTShiman7612

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2003, 10:46 AM »
I've got the Vexilar with the self leveling 12 degree cone.  It works like a charm.  Buying that flashlight depth finder would be a waste.  Just take a jug of water with you, pour it on the ice, just enough to cover the bottom face of the cone, and it'll shoot right through and not only tell you the depth, but the density, whether it's muck or rock, weeds or flat, and if there are any fish down there.  

I give the Vexilar a 10!

Fl-18iceicebaby

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2003, 01:20 PM »
A con againist the flashlight depthfinder is that it only gives you depth. Why not spend the extra money and get a flasher thats going to put you on the fish and give you the depth ;)

mngonefishing

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:36 PM »
bucketbutt, I have to agree with Fl-18iceicebaby. spend the extra $$$ and get a fl-8 or 18. they are worth every cent.

bucket_butt

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2003, 08:18 PM »
I shoud clarify about the flashlite depht finder. I have a vex 18 fish in a otter have a lot of dodads. I just thought it would be easier to adjust to different structure, than carring around the vex with the ducer swinging around. I dont pour water on the ice for the ducer to read, I sinply use a mini torch to melt the ice and get a small puddle.

mngonefishing

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2003, 03:28 PM »
bucketbutt, thats a good idea about the mini torch. most of the time you can just place your hand on the ice it will melt enuff to get a reading. this will save on some cold hands thanks again.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2003, 03:27 PM »
When we go fishing and especially on our lake trout trip to Canada we always have a couple of those along.

When you are snowmobiling all over the place and moving and drilling to find structure and depths it is a lot easier to just pull one of those out to get a general reading before drilling.

It is quicker than pulling out a Vex out of the sled.

Yowskers

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:11 PM »
When searching, keep the Vex handy with the transducer unwound, a pop bottle with the squirt top filled with rv antifreeze, squirt, check, make decision. Simple . The rv stuff is cheap and non toxic, the dog won't die.

Brett Meyer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2003, 11:01 AM »
I have the polar model, and it works great, we used to use the vexilar, but like has been said before, it's a little bulky and that transducer hanging out can be a pain. It's fast and quick if your checking depth, and want to be mobile. We usually hop on a 4 wheeler or snowmobile and can get to where we want to go quick.

It's more of a convienience than anything, If ya got $140 to spend on a toy go ahead and get one, otherwise, I would recommend getting a vexilar, you get more for your $$$$$.

MTDOC

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2003, 02:14 PM »
Within our fishing group, 2 guys have the flashlight style depth finders and we use them to scout areas to drill tip ups in various depths. It is a real time saver. 2 guys checks depths and lay out the pattern for holes and the rest of the crew scoops holes, set out tip ups, and unpack guide. The guys reading depths marks the ice or kicks an X & depth in the snow and the driller just keeps the drill running until the other guys get some tip ups in the water and then we take turns drilling and scooping holes until everybody has holes and all the tip ups are out. Now we start scouting depths or locations to erect the portables. We always drill extra holes in the area for those that want to jig or move tip ups.

This process has really made the trips more enjoyable for all when everyone is working together and noone is left out struggling with finding the location, equipment, and not fishing during "Prime Time".

Later, after the "Prime Time" bite is over, we erect the big Speed Shack which serves as the warming house and the cook shack for the meal on the ice. We grill burgers, vension, pheasant, duck/goose cubes, and other meats. The big shack serves as a base camp for the wives and kids that come out with us occasionally.

As a group we make about 5 trips a year to various lakes and have a really great experience.  

Mnmopod

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:53 PM »
I am kind of a gear hog and I just purchased a Marcum LX-I and I love it. I also have a FL-8, Marcum LX-3, and an old Zercom. The handheld was used for the first time this weekend in the rain and I loved it! It really is not a waste of money if you are running and gunning and want to be quick about finding a hole or a hump. I have for years used my regular sonar and it worked fine, this new handheld is just a novelty that does save on my sonar battery. Either way, you still need a bottle of water to get a quick reading.

Offline ojib2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:55 PM »
hmm......i guess i might be the only who does this but i take a lil plastic sandwich bag and put some water in it and get all the air out and put it around my transducer and tape it around the cord and just place it around the structure until i find the depths i want.......makes it alot easier then drilling holes and i also can pick up fish if they are down there......

Mnmopod

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2004, 07:46 AM »
Ojib, that sounds like a great idea but how well does it work when the ice is foggy or slightly honeycombed? I know when I pour water directly on the ice from an old plastic milk jug, I get readings within seconds. How soon do you get readings with the sandwich bag trick and does your bag ever freeze on the transducer? ::)

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: depht finder
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:48 PM »
The ones you talk about work great, but why spend 100 bucks on something that just tell you the depth.I would just use the Vex if you have one or a similar unit.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.