The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northlander fish house  (Read 7609 times)

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
northlander fish house
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I was thinking of buying a Northlander fish house from Canvas plus or Canvas Craft.   I was just wondering if anyone has one and if they are any good..  I kinda like that insulated canvas option they have available.       
p.s. this is a great site I'm glad I stumbled upon it

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: northlander fish house
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:56 PM »
I have the 4'x8' and really like it.  I don't have the insulated model, but i think it would be nice.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:02 PM »
I've seen the insulated fabric.  Seems like a good idea.  I guess my only concern would be regarding weight, especially if the stuff isn't waterproof.  I'd be sure to ask about how waterproof it is before you spend the money.  The other thing to consider is that the wood floor adds a lot of weight vs a plastic floor.   I built the Cabelas house (5x6) and it is heavy.  I would strongly consider looking at a plastic floor model like the Clam or Shappel.  Shappel has a set of skis you can attach right to the floor of the unit for transporting it.  They also have a rack that goes on the back of your ATV to be able to haul it off the ice.  It all depends on how you are going to use the thing.  If you like to set up and not move, wood isn't a bad option.  If you need to move, it is a pain.  I use a flip over shack for serious fishing and a suitcase when I take the kids. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:07 PM »
I'm not too concerned about the weight just the overall durability.  I was concidering buying a flip style but with a heater running dosent the ice start to melt leaving a puddle where your feet are?

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:17 PM »
The whole key is how you fish.  If you move a lot, defintely do a flip....no question.  You won't really get any water on the ice unless it is a warm day.  The heat from your heater rises, so not much snow melts.  On a really warm day, you might get a little water on the ice but not enough to cause a problem.  Any excess water will run down the hole you are fishing out of.  I can't recommend a flip shelter enough.  They are easier to get on and off the ice; easier to move from spot to spot and better at carrying all your gear.  For what you would spend on an insulated Northlander, you could get yourself the top of the line flip shelter out there.  Don't get me wrong....suitcases have their time and place.  They are great for fishing with kids or if you only fish a couple times a year in January or February.  They are well suited for the guy who starts fishing when you can drive a truck on the ice, set up the house and not move.  If you are going to walk out on the ice, or even if you use an ATV, they are a pain.  Heavy, tough to pull and tough to move once they are set up.  Tell me how you plan to use your house and I can give you my recommendation on what to get.  The good news is there are LOTS of options out there.  :)

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Well I'm kinda back and forth about what I want at this point...   early season I usually just sit on a bucket and brave the elements (it would be nice to pull out a house).  Although it seems like some of the flip overs dont come with very durable canvas.. I want something that will last.  If I'm going to spend the money I dont want a hole in the canvas on the 2nd or 3rd time I use it..   

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:39 PM »
If you are fishing on a bucket now, you are going to go crazy in a suitcase.  You will lose all mobility.  I would say that a flip is definitely the ticket for you.  As far as canvas, I've got some suggestions on that.  I own an Otter and a Fish Trap (in addition to the Cabelas suitcase...yeah, my wife thinks I'm crazy too  :) ).  There are pros and cons to each unit.  I think the canvas on the Fish Trap is better.  That stuff is very tough.  I take my gear to some pretty nasty spots, like 40 miles thru the Canadian wilderness via snowmobile to the lake where I caught the laker in my avitar and it holds up.  The Otter has square tubing and I've heard some guys say that it wears the canvas more, but that stuff is tough and the Otter sled is indestructible.  Personally, I would recommend the Fish Trap line of houses.  I've also looked at the Frabill units in the store (never owned one) and they look good.  I prefer the nylon that Fish Trap and Frabill use over the traditional "canvas" that Otter and some others use.  Best thing to do is go to Sportsman's or Gander and feel them for yourself.  How many guys are you planning to fish out of your house, or do you fish alone?  That will help you figure out which model to choose...

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2006, 12:31 PM »
For what we do around here a Northlander is about the nicest. They are a tad heavy, but we just put it on a sled and pull it to where we want. Once it is up, it is fairly easy to push and pull it to a new spot, if the ice isn't covered by snow. I have a calf sled that I use to pull my stuff in, as it is a pretty wide sled. A calf sled can be bought at pretty much any place that sells agri supplies. Here are some sites to the Northlander, and one like it http://www.canvascraftinc.com/northland.htm , and http://www.boatcovers.com/fishHouses/fishHouseModels.asp?fHouseID=5009 . My friend and I went in together and got the 6x8 from boatcovers.com. It says it is 95 lbs when assembled. I like the idea of wood under my feet, keeps my tootsies warmer.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline JiffyJones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:18 AM »
I like the suitcase box houses rather than the flips just due to the hole spacing is wider apart in the box. This assumes that you put your holes on each end of the 8ft floor. Holes in the flips are only 3-4 feet apart and OK for panfish and for fishing by yourself  but for "eyes" I like them alittle further apart especially if you have a buddy along. It gets alittle frustrating sometimes when you are fishing a small bait and jigging lightly while the buddy in a hole 3 feet away is jerking the hell out of russian spoon with a monster shiner. ::) LOL maybe I just need a new buddy. ;D

I have been fishing with a 6x8 box from Canvas Plus. I didn't buy the kit type from Northlander because I am not all that crafty with power tools and I worried I wouldn't get the wood for the floor and sides nailed or stapled together all that well so I bought the Canvas Plus model because it was already built. My 6x8 offers plenty of room and works well. I don't make moves but maybe 1 or 2 times during the day. I figure one should spend more time with the maps, GPS, locator, camera before making a decision to set up the portable. Canvas plus also offers a 5X8 that would be a little lighter without losing too much room.

The only thing I would change is that my box only has one zipper door. When fishing with my buddy and secondary tip ups  :tipup: outside on either side of the house, 2 doors is a plus. I wouldn't get run over when my buddy's flag goes off. But most of the time I go out to watch so it isn't a huge problem with one door. Maybe Canvas plus would put in a second zipper door if you ordered it that way.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck & good fishing :)

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I stopped into canvas craft on my way home today...  And I think thats what I am going to buy(6x8 Northlander).  With the second door on the other side(45$extra)  490.00 built and ready to fish..  Not a bad deal considering the fish trap I was looking at was going for 700.00. thanks guys for making my decision alittle easier. ;D

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:56 PM »
it sucks that they charge you all that money and you gotta build it yourself...

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:14 PM »
You have the choice..  You can buy it fully built.  or buy the kit which is just the canvas and poles.  its 490 for the house fully built.  289.00 for the kit

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:17 PM »
ah i see...thats not that bad then....should keep ya nice and toasty in there....what ya using to heat it?

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:18 PM »
just the single element Mr. heater (should do the trick)

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:41 PM »
definetly...i got the dx4000 and it keeps it nice an toasty in there...

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2006, 08:54 PM »
I don't know about the 6 x 8 Northlander but I have a 6 x 8 Clam (6800). The thing I hate about it is the square tubing is a bear to line up during the initial set up and double in high wind. I would check that on the Northlander. Once it's set and decide to move I only fold down the walls and the second set up is less than a minute. I have a Frabill now as well and only use that. Plenty of room, don't need a second sled and round tubing. They also made the out tube slightly over size for easier set up. Draw back on the Frabill is tucking or bungee cord the skirt in the sled before you move as it would have a tendency to drag on the ice when moving. Another good thing about a flip up is getting out to attend a tip up. When you had a few pops and you get a couple of guys heading out. You jump up after sitting for an hour you feel a little clumsy jumping over a heater, vex, and a 6 pack.  ::)

Offline drillinholz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:46 PM »
The northlander has round tubing for the frame.  It was pretty easy to set up and take down in the show room (at canvas craft).  As for attending to the tip ups I think I'm having a door put on both ends so its easier for two guys to get in and out with out triping/fumbling with the gear.  I can see where a Flip style house would be nice but I dont like the idea of the holes being so close togeather. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.