The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy model 30  (Read 2690 times)

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jiffy model 30
« on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 PM »
 ;D I went to get an extention for my stealth from guy on craigslist and he said i'll sell you the auger too. Got a jiffy model 30 screamin machine for 70 bucks with extention. He said it hadn't been run in a couple years. He dusted it off looked at me ,smiled  poured gas in it ,hit the primer a few times and a few pulls 3 or 4 it was running. when I got home I hit primer once and it started first pull. Man they are a loud motor but sweet sound they make. It is a 10 inch auger though :( I will never drill a 10 inch hole. I can't wait to try this powerhead with my 8 inch stealth auger on it. Thought it was a score at 70 bucks!
Fishin red lines

Offline Big Slabs1982

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy model 30
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2012, 06:39 AM »
Heck of a deal, don't see too many augers for under a $100

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Thats what I thought. The thing runs great too.
Fishin red lines

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:01 PM »
The sound of a Jiffy 30 always brings a smile to my face! Drain the fuel @ seasons end, keep the throttle linkage clean, use some carb cleaner spray on the governor linkage that's all you really need to do. Drill holes catch fish    ;D   repeat!!     
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 PM »
From what I have heard and read over the years the model 30 is the longest lasting stand the test of time taks a beating auger on the ice. Thats why I jumped on it. 15 yrs old or so
Fishin red lines

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On the edge of genius and mayhem!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:06 PM »
I got my hands on one here a couple of days ago.  The thing seems to be a beast! ;D  With that, I got a couple of questions of the care and feeding of said beast.

Can I run 50:1 gas/oil in it like I can my boat, or does it need 40:1?  And if I can't feed it 50:1, can I use any left over 40:1 in the boat (94 Evinrude 25hp)

Also what is the best way to transport this auger?  Can it be moved (in the car) with gas in it?  I would prefer to fuel up at home so I don't have gas smell on my hands on the ice.  I know it needs to be stored up right,but can it move on its side for the ride to the lake?

Thanks!

Peter
It's only weird if it doesn't work.

Offline Michigan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:24 PM »
If it is a 2 stroke it doesn't need to be upright.  A four stroke does so the oil in the crankcase does not leak through the carb as long as you don't have the fuel nozzle pointing down u should be fine.  As far as the fuel changeover goes you can run the 40:1 in the boat that is rated for 50:1 it will run like a banshee but it will cut down on the life of the engine.  And the 50:1 in the 40:1 rated auger will run a little cruddy foul plugs more often and smoke a bit more.

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I don't think I'll mix up to much gas for the auger until I get an idea of how much I will be getting out this season.  A few minutes after posting my first reply, I found the Auger board on here, and there is a detailed post about oil mixes for these machines.  Apparently there is some oil that will let you run 100:1

That should offer up some good reading tonight.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Apparently there is some oil that will let you run 100:1

How old is it? The 2 or 3 HP Tecumseh? All the older ones (10-20 YO) ran at 24:1, and the newer mod 30's at 40:1. DON'T run an older Jiffy at 100:1. You can bump up to 40:1 with a good 2 stroke oil (almost all are synthetic now) in the older one, but I would NOT go any leaner.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:34 AM »
I think it's an older one, it has white paint on the powerhead and gearbox, and it has a metal tank.  I don't think I'd be brave enough to run it 100:1.  It would be nice to have just one mix for the boat and this.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I got my hands on one here a couple of days ago.  The thing seems to be a beast! ;D  With that, I got a couple of questions of the care and feeding of said beast.

Can I run 50:1 gas/oil in it like I can my boat, or does it need 40:1?  And if I can't feed it 50:1, can I use any left over 40:1 in the boat (94 Evinrude 25hp)

Also what is the best way to transport this auger?  Can it be moved (in the car) with gas in it?  I would prefer to fuel up at home so I don't have gas smell on my hands on the ice.  I know it needs to be stored up right,but can it move on its side for the ride to the lake?

Thanks!

Peter

Pretty sure you'll find the Model 30's run a 24:1 mix..
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Brought my jiffy out to my dads today to run it a little bit (I live in town )and 1 pull after 2 primes it fired up. The only thing I am wondering is when I tip the powerhead to the carb side the idle goes up and if I tip it the other way it wants to die??? What is this all about, plenty of gas in the tank. I have also heard it isn't good to run full throttle without the drill on, is that true? I didn't run it wide open at all but it seems like it could use a little adjustment for higher speed. Impressed with the one pull starts on the old 30 though. Any thoughts from fellow model 30 owners?
Fishin red lines

Offline astrorails

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Msybe it will run a little better when it gets colder.  The guy I got mine from said he had it tuned for temps closer to 0.  Yours may be tuned similarly, and since it was almost 60 yesterday, that may explain it's poorer behavior at a more open throttle position.

As far as tipping the power head side to side, since the fuel is gravity fed, if you tip it a certain way the fuel may not feed into the carb properly but that is my rookie opinion.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Seems funny to me that the carb would need to be set when really cold out when you fish alot of days that are 20 to 30 degrees. Anyway I will mess with it when the temp drops. I just want to hear it run with the bark that i hear all 30s have on the ice. That extra speed at wot.
Fishin red lines

Offline Big Slabs1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Seems funny to me that the carb would need to be set when really cold out when you fish alot of days that are 20 to 30 degrees. Anyway I will mess with it when the temp drops. I just want to hear it run with the bark that i hear all 30s have on the ice. That extra speed at wot.
I have a model 31 legend that is 16 yrs old basically the same as your model 30.  They do have a nice bark to them and they will want to die if you dont keep them upright dont know why but mine does the same thing.  Started mine today for the first time this season and ran on the first pull.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Issue with it dying was the diaphram and gasket. Replaced and all is well. Still a heavy beast  ;D
Fishin red lines

Offline borderjumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Bought one off of Craigslist, had the carb rebuilt and it runs like a top.

heavy...but a good auger
"The Fisherman's Prayer" God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day And when it comes to my last catch I then most humbly pray When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep" - Homer Circle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.