The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for Opionions on Best MN Lake  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
Looking for Opionions on Best MN Lake
« on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:27 PM »

Hello Guy's: 

I've  Never been fishing in MN, but Am looking to book an Ice fishing trip for Next year. What's everyone one consensus for the Premeir Walleye lake for Ice Fishing.I know theirs alot of water to cover, but what seem's to be the hot spot?  Any input would be greatley appreciated.  I Live on Eastern Lake Erie and were just starting to form some safe Ice up here.

Thankyou,            The Fishtician

Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline Gary Piotrowski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Looking for Opionions on Best MN Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:58 PM »
Hey Fishtician
   i don't know much about the lakes up that way  but i went to lake of woods 1-10-05 to the 14 and I'll tell ya this if your used to fishing Lake Erie you will not catch fish like we do here when i went to L.O.W. the biggest walleye we got was 17.5 inches i don't think  i have kept one that small in years of fishing the west end of Erie  just my 2-cents  i did have a great time but if your want the true walleye capitol of the world  you know you don't have to go that farheck even our guide from there said he came here to buy his sportcraft and he could not believe the size of the fish or the numbers of the big ones we get here

if you want an awsome walleye icefishing trip i would plan a trip to south bass island

Gary

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:43 AM »

Thanks Gary.  I live off Sturgeon Point, on Lake Erie , and keep a boat in the Harbour there,that see's alot of water time.  We usually do A trip every year during the winter, Next week we'll be at Nippissing, in Ontario, CA. But,I've alway's wanted to try MN.   

Fishtician 
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:36 AM »
Lake Osakis, it has nice walleye's, plus the panfishing can be awesome!!! Lots of other great lakes in the Alexandria area. Just my 2 cents!! Have a crappie day. Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2005, 03:45 AM »
Probably Winnie.  It's a ton of fun, too, cuz the perch & pike keep ya occupied in between 'eyes.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Jiggathon

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2005, 04:11 PM »
well the best lake in minnesota right now for walleyes would gave to Red Lake. But oh wait you cant fish it for walleyes :'( only crappies. and let me tell you the fishing there will be exceptional for the '06 opener. but as of now Lake of the woods is a great lake. also i would look into winnie ive been fishing it for 5 years now and it is always productive. mille lacs is also starting to loosen up there slot limit so i think that that would be another place to check into. And thats my two cents. hope it helped

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:58 AM »

For Walleyes:
Hands down, no question;  L A K E   O F   T H E   W O O D S

There are a lot of good resorts on the lake.   First ice though end of February, I like Arnesen's.  March and April, you may do better closer to Baudette (that's where the river mouth is and most of the resorts are).

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2005, 04:12 PM »

Forgot to mention;
If you're in Baudette, it's only a 40 mile drive to Upper Red Lake. 
Arguably the best crappie fishing in the nation!

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2005, 06:29 PM »
i'd have to say to check out mille lacs on the southern end around that area is where I have caught a ton of walleyes and on some days none. but I think if you are looking for walleyes and willing to put in a little time you can do very well and maybe even catch a trophy, I have caught 2 in one weekend that were over 27 inches. pretty good lake I think
but then again theres my two cents!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

evlacrosseplaya7

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Leech Lake is awsome, Mille lacs is good to ive have also experienced some lcuk on Rush lake ...many desent sized norskies with tip ups :tipup:

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:23 AM »
If you're coming all the way from Ohio, I gotta level with ya.

Leech Lake WAS awesome 3 - 5 years ago.  It now has some significant problems.  I'd still go there if I lived within a couple hours drive, but not if you're coming from out-of-state.

Mille Lacs WAS awesome during the summer of 2002.  Since then, it has also had some (less significant) problems; which just now appear to be taking a turn for the better.  Mille Lacs would still be an OK choice, it just wouldn't be my first choice right now.

Summer of 2004, Winnie had the only consistant walleye bite in the state.  Lake of the Woods is always a good winter choice.

evlacrosseplaya7

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:36 PM »
and what problems might those be... ???

Jiggathon

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:55 PM »
leech down right sucks now.  Ive camped the last few years there for opener and had now luck, but winnie was only a half an hour drive away where we found excellent fishing, mille lacs slot has screwed it up for the passed few years but is now loosing it up.  i think your question about problems should now be answered!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.