The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: secret spots?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
secret spots?
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:26 PM »
i want your opinion.is it ok to have secret spots. i hear so many guys posting the dead sea while i personnally see fish being caught. i know people put alot of time into secret spots i respect that, but are we helping each other out by being tight lipped about our success.this time of year its location location and putting in your time. i pray before i go and i'm successful but so are the people who arent, praying that is.i was a little leary of the private waters thread most of us know that its not easy or permissable?to enter private waters.we have resiviuors around our home that people regularly sneek into,enough said. whats your opinion do you have a secret spot.   thanks mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

flockshot

Re: secret spots?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:29 PM »
i have no problems posting info about weather i caught a bunch of fish..and sometimes ill mention the lake..but there are sharks on here who want gps coordinates of where you were sitting..what depth what color what bait what time...i mean come on...do you want me to just catch them and give them to you .lol.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I have no problem posting, lake, fow, color of jig. The rest they can figure out, I did.  ;D ;D
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

MikeThePike

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:01 PM »
I have become more tight lipped as of late with info only due to the #s of lurkers who contribute nothing but steal all the info posted for their success.

I'd be more than willing to post every possible detail of how I did on my "private" waters which are actually lakes/ reserviors that no one knows about and don't show up on any map. A few of them are 5+ miles deep into the woods and only access is via washed out dirt roads. Unless guys camp outside my house and follow me to them they won't find them so all that info would be useless to them.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:19 PM »
Mike, what's you address?  :roflmao:  ;)

Well, only lurkers that are registered to the site can see the fishing reports.  Those that don't register can't see the reports and conditions boards.  The funny thing about lurkers is that they aren't all alike.  There are some that don't post much but turn out at some of our events and contribute quite a bit.  Some aren't computer savy and just don't post much.  Most of them that I've met on the ice and say that they're IS members but don't post much are more than willing to share info with you simply because YOU are an IS member.  It has happened to me more times than I can count.  I had a guy give me a couple jigs to try out simply because he saw me post on IS on the ice one year not long ago.  There are many ways of giving.  Post counts don't entitle anyone to info.

Now, keeping your honey holes a secret is your option and we all do it.  I post info that might help someone catch more fish, but I don't give up my secret honey holes.  I may help with a pattern.  More importantly I think it helps to share ice conditions more than fishing reports.  Like ne pa said, if they can catch fish then they can figure the rest out.  If I'm driving a long way to a lake and plan to fish there, it's more important to me during questionable ice times to know how the ice is.  I can find and catch fish on my own.

One thing that I try to never do is if someone shows me a spot in confidence, it stays between us, becomes our spot, not my spot.  I never share that because I'd never want to betray their trust.  That is taboo in my book and is probably true with anyone.

This isn't limited to ice fishing either but is a hot topic on any fishing forum.  Use common sense.  It's the internet, the nature of the beast, a means of finding info.  If you post something you have to realize that lot's of folks will read it.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

MikeThePike

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:04 PM »
I've met a few guys that don't post much and ended up being good guys to fish with but it seems for every 1 theres 10 that don't want anything but everyones tips and spots. I ran into atleast 20+ guys on the ice last year that said they recognized me from the board yet when I asked for their user names they wouldn't give them. Now I can't think of any reason to say you recognize me from a website but not give out info as to who you are on there unless you make the bare minimum of posts to see the reports and conditions pages.

Offline scansy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Diehard Fan
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:35 PM »
To me, it depends on the situation.  There is a lake near home that I fish when it has ice - Marsh Creek Lake.  Most of the guys who check the reports for that lake know what I'm talking about if I say "the park cove", or " the swimming pool cove" or whatever.  I don't have to get specific within that cove, but they aren't that big anyway.  I just dont' think there are any secret spots on that lake.  If you do know of a secret spot on that lake - pass the word ;).

Another case is Stevensons Reservoir in Cameron County.  I hit that usually two times a year of the weather works.  That one receives very little pressure, so I don't mind giving details and have given specifics a couple of times on here.  I never have problems there with crowding.  Most of the time if I see two other groups of fishermen, it seems crowded.  There is just very little local population in the area.

Maybe if I found a specific spot on Marsh Creek that was red hot, I would keep it hush.  I certainly don't fault anyone else for doing the same thing.  I am protective of a spot I know for open water trout and smallies (often at the same time) that receives little pressure.  I share that spot with friends, but would not put specifics on the internet.  And hunting spots are even less likely for me to spout off about.  They are just harder and harder to find than fishing spots in my mind.

And of course all of this assumes that anyone would actually want my advice.  I may be assuming alot. :cookoo:
Keep the tradition alive - take a kid hunting, trapping and fishing!

Offline fishmaster2004z

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:09 PM »
i have no problem with giving info about a lake or pond
but i expect a little space on the ice :tipup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:10 PM »
I never have a problem pointing someone in the right direction, but draw the line at giving exact locations. Marsh Creek is also the closest lake to me, and if you even leave a good perch on the ice for a minute you will have a crowd in your hip pocket. If you have a really great day and post the actual size and numbers of fish you caught along with a location, you can bet there will be 20-30 extra guys there that normally wouldn't fish that lake. One group will be over your hot holes from the previous trip, too.  Most of the IS members I've met are good guys, and willing to share advice. However, there are people on this site that post all the time, but only want to get info such as where is the good bite?, what are they hitting? etc. The few times they actually post reports, they give no real info. If you want help, you've got to share. General info, good! Specific location, bad!, IMO. The IM feature allows you to share more private info with whoever you chose; I think that is a great feature. Good luck to everyone in the search for that perfect honey hole!

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Conditions are about the only thing and fishing tips but anything else is subject to lurkers.  Like mikethepike said spots have and will get mugged if you post them.   

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:35 PM »
I'd be more than willing to post every possible detail of how I did on my "private" waters which are actually lakes/ reserviors that no one knows about and don't show up on any map. A few of them are 5+ miles deep into the woods and only access is via washed out dirt roads. Unless guys camp outside my house and follow me to them they won't find them so all that info would be useless to them.

They better be crazy if there gonna follow you to some of the places you go and ready to ruin there truck, get fined, or even end up in jail. hahaha. ya d**n poacher and trespasser.  gotta love it  ::)

Offline stanleykk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2007, 11:36 PM »
I for one do not like to fish others spots. It takes away from what I do in a day I jig and thats it. Its like what I see on Moraine every weekend in the summer everyone does the same thing, they all run down the same ahore lines throwing the same baits. And call it the dead sea, yeah right try something else and you will see that its not true at all. To me fishing is a game to be played each time you go out. As Slocum and I do we pick an area of the lake and pick it apart. Crowds are for tipups, not for jiggers. As jiggers we move from spot to spot looking for bitters. As for my posts on pymie, I've been the only one in the areas that I fished this year. But if you look at my post you'll see that I'm fishing an idea whether it is a gully along a road bed or an insde turn on a shelf that runs to or near a channel. Sometimes it works out or as this year it hasn't. But thats the game my game what I think up. Sure there are times when you post that people pick up on it but its like that with people that are not on the IS that do see you catch a fish and are right next to you aka woodcock. To me a good lake during the week but not on the weekend. Ice fishing is not about secret spots its about not being pushed off a spot by wind or boat traffic. Its about looking at your vex one minute and nothing and you look again and see that you just called in a school of fish and then its trying to get them to bite. With more and more people getting in to the sport its getting harder to find a spot all by your self. But if I give out some tips on how and where I caught my fish it will not stop me from catching more fish, it will only limit those who don't have a game plan but mine. Helping others to catch fish is part of sharing the sport, it doen't stop me from catching fish. And if I start getting crowded then time to come up with a new plan which is the fun that I get from the sport. Really its nice to come up with a plan while at home and having to wait days to work it out and when it comes together ::). But i've been out there with only a will to fish a certain lake not knowing anything about the lake and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone such as were does the channel run or shelf on a lake is. But hey there are those who think that if you give any information at all they won't catch any fish. And from what I 've seen over the years they are the people who sit in the same spot year in and year out that is till they see you catch a fish. Oh my that guy  wouldn't give you the slightest thing about the lake is the guy you come over to,to see what your doing and bam thier drilling next to you and boy are they talktive then. Sure there are lakes that don't have maps and those lakes are some of the hardest to fish at first but as you fish it over the years sure you learn some things to help you catch fish but to me helping others to catch fish is just as rewarding. I don't have anything to hide, i will still catch fish. And to put food on someone elses table sure does not hurt me.

MikeThePike

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:20 AM »
They better be crazy if there gonna follow you to some of the places you go and ready to ruin there truck, get fined, or even end up in jail. hahaha. ya d**n poacher and trespasser.  gotta love it  ::)

Trespasser, maybe....poachers, defiantly not......you're my brother and you don't even know where 2 of my secret reservoirs are out here....gotta be protective cuz you may go blab about them all over the internet  ;)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:57 AM »
Yeah Mike, I'm not saying that there aren't a share of takers/no givers out there, we all know that they exist.  It happens on all fishing forums.

How I combat them (help keep my space).  I don't post exact locations.  When I'm on the ice and on to fish, my fish trap is closed.  Out of site, out of mind.  I let my buddies know via radio contact info to help them out.  I don't shout and let the lake know what I'm up to.  I don't leave fish on the ice any more.  If I'm keeping fish, I have my bucket inside my fish trap with me.  These are just some of the things that I do and most work pretty well.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 AM »
I will post up what lake, feet of water, a round about location, what I was using or how I put up the numbers on the ice.  And that gets less and less every year.  I wait until I hear it has all dried up no fish, then I post up what I did.  And most of the time it is cut way back so I do not get 50 Pm's where you fishing at.  It is not the fish do not eat or they moved to another lake. It is the people do not know how to target the specific fish they are after.  Location is one of the factors by far not the only one but a good one.

WAY to many takers and not enough givers in my optinion.  I know of a group of five that fish together all the time not once has anyone of them posted up ANY information at all they already took 155 L.M. out of Muddy Creek alone and that was fist ice.  I have not talked to them in a while now but I know there numbers are way higher by now.  They all read here none post here not once.  You really want to post locations up with MANY people out there lurking that will be right in there messing up all the time you put into finding fish?   

That is just one example I know of more people than just them that do the same thing.  Why feed them your locations?  teaching those that do know or have an interest is one thing spoon feeding lurkers that provide nothing back is another.  You got a question ask me I will do my best to help out as long as the question is not where are you fishing at? 

People PM. me all of the time, I will not give them the exact location but I will lead them in the correct direction so they to can find fish.  Thats is helping not providing.  I will help out anyone and be VERY happy to do so.  I have met some great folks on here and have even fished with a few.  And made a good friend with Camotim.   

How does that go give someone a fish and feed them for a day teach someone to fish and feed them for a lifetime.  If you give up the locations you have found the only one that will be out is you.  If you let people know how you are doing or locating fish then you are helping them.  That way they to can find fish and have a blast and you can too.

I read something about Arthur, people beating banks tossing the same bait all year long.  YEP you are 100% correct those people call that lake the dead sea.  I have bad days too but I tell you what that lake is full of quality fish people just do not know how to target them.

Snapper

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:26 PM »
i hear ya  snapper  stush and everyone else  man and fish dont change time is short maybe this trip might be someones last trip wouldn't it  be great if  we put them into fish with all the disease ie vhs it might be sooner than you think ,your last trip that is anyone have any tips on gardening    mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2007, 12:24 PM »
I have no secret spots, meaning the waters I fish are all public and open to whoever cares to fish.
On the other hand, I no longer share reports on certain lakes and species of fish. I will post ice conditions early in the season, and will share panfish reports, but I've learned that most guys are incapable of releasing a 26 inch walleye or a 33 inch pike, so that information I keep to myself. I openly share information on how I find those lakes and how I fish them, but why should I tell someone that the schools of walleyes are fifty yards due east of the flagpole by the rangers office on lake X  ????????????/
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:15 AM »
I agree byron.  its just like  archery hunting, if i walk out of state games lands, after seeing a monster buck at 50 yards, and i get back to my truck, and someone asks if i saw anything, i am surely not going to tell him i saw a monster 50 yards from point X, and tell him what tree i was in. NO WAY.  same goes for fishing.  its to bad people keep walking away with every fish they catch.
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline whitetailmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shut up-n- fish
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2007, 04:31 AM »
Im goin to one of my secret spots rite now!   
team I.C.Light

Offline halfquacked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I agree with not giving "most" the "X" where to fish. Some will get it if they are willing to share back through private messages of course. But, I will every time, let everyone and anyone know, what lake and when the bite is happening & with what stick of dynamite to use! You just can't give up all your hard work and time to have it lost to some one and then have to get in an argument with them when you show up to fish the same spot that they want to fish. I've just lost to many "AWESOME" spots for waterfowl with the compation that I've personally helped out, NEVER AGAIN!
Semper Fi!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.