The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flasher  (Read 3312 times)

Offline 1969Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:25 AM »
What brand flasher do you use and why? 

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Vex. Fl8se and fl12 ice pro...seem to be up breakable....yo do have to take care of them like all toys...price was right for fl 12.  300 bucks shipped to the door this year. Now have  one for grand kid.   ..you pay for...

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Cold Ice Rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:04 AM »
I also have the Vexilar FL8 because it was recommended by a friend; and I have not been disappointed. You can spend more, but this does the job just fine for me. Neat to see you bait going down and if you see fish marking higher just watch your bait come up above the fish and begin the tease!

Offline icecoldchrome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:38 AM »
I have a marcum vx1 I  seems to work pretty well I've only used it a few times once last year and twice this year. It seems to work well and  fairly easy to set up and read witch is nice being this is my first flasher  I was looking into the vexlar brand but found this marcum new for 189.99 so I decided to try it and haven't had any problem yet

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I have the Marcum Showdown Dual Beam, they discontinued this version for some crazy reason, for the past four years and like it a lot because it's simple to use and understand compared to looking at a multi-colored circle.  Another thing I like about it is the dual beam and I can zoom anywhere in the water column.  The two biggest complaints people have about the Showdown is that the display isn't multi-colored, it's black and white, and you can't see the entire water column and zoom into a certain area at the same time.  If I was going to buy a new flasher my first choice would be the Marcum LX-7 because of the 1/2 inch target separation, it shows you the traditional flasher face, a column which shows the entire water column, another column which shows the area you're zoomed into, the digital depth, battery voltage, range you're set to, gain setting, interference rejection setting, sensitivity setting, or any combination of them.  It can also be converted to use in open water if you buy a different transducer.  This isn't a cheap investment at a suggested price of $730.  My other option if I wanted to save some money would be to go with the LX-6s, which will do everything the LX-7 will but the target separation is 3/4 of an inch and the suggested price is $630.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:39 AM »
I use the Garmin striker 4 portable pack. Originally got it because it was cheap but have been pleased with it so far.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline MarkCz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:52 AM »
I have a Marcum VX-1P. Before that I had an old Humminbird flasher that was for boat use. I accidentally dropped the transducer on the Humminbird unit and it stopped reading depths after that mishap. Bought it becuase it was the cheapest one I could get in stock at the time.

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Marcum VX1. Got it 10 yrs ago. Was the cheapest flasher at the time. Love it! Easy to use. Still on the original battery! Can’t go wrong with Marcum or A Vex. Point is without a flasher u are fishing blind!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:38 PM »
This could open a can of worms.  I started with a Hummingbird ICE 35.  Thought was a great entry level flasher.  Problem is noise and it seems to give me a headache if looking at it all day.  Few other friends say the same.  Bought a Showdown 5.6DB.  Had lots of problems with it esp with monitor depth.  Was told by Marcum, this is one of reasons they do not make this graph anymore.  Went back to Marcum 3 times.  (Customer service incredible) Tried Vexilar FL12 and FL 8.  Was OK.  Then got a Marcum LX7 from tackleshack.  All I can say is WOW!!!  True 1/2 inch separation, quiet and very responsive.  I have mine set up with the round flasher and then the zoom feature on the side in a vertical pattern (Showdown)  I would say the best flasher is the one you can afford.  Practice with it.  You can tell when your bait is off the jig or spoon.  The more you use it the better you will get to see all the pros and cons of the flasher.  If you are looking for another flasher and unsure what to get, walk around and talk to some guys and many would let you try theirs in a hole to see it.  Good luck.  Nez

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:10 PM »
For entry level flashers I'd take the marcum vx1 (or new m1) over the fl8 vex. The zoom is nice on the marcum.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:29 PM »
For entry level flashers I'd take the marcum vx1 (or new m1) over the fl8 vex. The zoom is nice on the marcum.

You're right there and the M-3 is nice also.

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Helix 5 with ice ducer can be used on boat in summer and ice fishing in winter works very well and gives you many different looks and gps for marking hot spots . also my dad has an ice 35 and it works very well.  When gander was closing I was able to snag a Marcum lx3i (think that's it) for $100 bucks just haven't had it out yet. I kinda picked that up for buddies that may not have one.

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:04 AM »
I have a Lowrance Ice Machine and love it.  It can be used in flasher mode or scroll mode when on a boat with extra transducer.  Over the years I've had 5 different flashers and fish finders and the Lowrance for me has been the most dependable.

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:01 AM »
X2 on the Lowrance Ice Machine. You can split the screen with traditional flasher and scroll at the same time. Easy to swap from ice to boat/kayak and the case is nice to keep you jigs small tools etc. with you if you move around from hole to hole.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Since I got the Humminbird ICE 55......my FL-8 sits on the shelf collecting dust now. I get the old Vex out if a friend or family comes with me, for them to use, but I just seemed to really take to the ICE 55 over the FL-8. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Most guys I run into tell me how much they hate the HB line of products.
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Marcum VX1 Pro, has everything you need. Some units come with all the bells and whistles, but this one is basic, simple to use and effective. No issues with it for 5 years now.

-D

Offline miserable72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:18 PM »
I use a re-furbished FL-8SE I bought directly from Vexilar. If your on a budget, they have a section of refurbs on their website.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:25 PM »
I use a re-furbished FL-8SE I bought directly from Vexilar. If your on a budget, they have a section of refurbs on their website.

I didn't know that.....good info !!
It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Marcum vx1 pro.. 1st flasher ever... Will NEVER buy another brand.. Marcum all the way..

Offline IceFitter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:44 AM »
I think brand is irrelevant. The features are what your looking for. Being able to zoom in on the bottom is priceless. I started out with a vx-1. Awesome entry level flasher. It started “bottom bouncing” and I haven’t sent it back for repair yet. I picked up the lx-5 a few years ago. It has a couple more bells and whistles and whistles.

Find one that will do what you want it to do within your budget

Offline Cousin weakeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I have the Hummingbird Ice 55. I'm still learning how to use I am far from being an expert on it. but it seems I have to jack up the sensitivity to see my jig which can cause some noise problems. I fish between 10 - 40 ft of wter seems lke the deeper the better it works.

Offline Jabbsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Lowrance fan here. Thought about upgrading last couple  years, but buddies  that  did, I'm not seeing anything better to get me to pull the trigger. Yeah they might be temperamental at times, and a little challenging to figure out all the features, but when you do you have one heck of a machine!!! Go catch em!

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:46 AM »
I’m another one for the showdown. I get motion sickness and my dad’s buddy’s flasher kind of gave me the same feeling. If the weather in western pa was more ice friendly, I would definitely buy an LX-7.  Just my .02

Offline pitthull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all fun & games until someone loses a walleye
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I've had the Marcum LX-6 for 5 or 6 years now.  Didn't find the need to spend another $120 for the extra quarter-inch target separation -- and I absolutely love this thing.  It has a digital flasher -- but I don't use it much -- I use the moving map which does everything the flasher does -- except in a straight, vertical display -- and it shows the history of what happened for the last 10-15 seconds or so until it moves off the screen.  Easy to see your jig (sinkers/swivels as a separate mark if you're using them), the bottom, and see anything that moves into the cone of the sonar.  Can't say enough -- these things are really something!
I'll keep ice fishing until hell freezes over -- and I'll drop a line in there too!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I've been a Vexilar user for a lot of years - started with an old Hummingbird Tom Mann "Bird Trap" which was a battery eating machine and switched over to the FL8 after my buddy got one.  Using the FLX28 now and it's a great machine so far with the weed mode, bottom zoom, and low power options a few reasons I upgraded.  I use the Pro transducer and have had favorable results with it, but I don't fish much less than 8 FOW typically, usually around 20'.  I just setup a Garmin 43dv I had picked up for kayak fishing to use out on the ice as well - like the GPS and lake map options on that one.  Figure out what features are most important to you and start there - a better mousetrap will inevitably come along after you buy the dang thing....

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:19 AM »
vex fl 20 for me. had it for probably 6-7 years now and never had a problem. caught everything from stunted blue gill.in 3ft of water right up to jigging lake trout in 120 feet of water. muskies, pike, walleye, crappies. really nice unit with some bells and whistles. really like the bottom lock feature when pounding perch in deepwater

Chute82

« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Have a fl8 that’s 15+ yrs old had the wife surprise me this year with a flx-28...fl8 still runs great just using it for family members who want to fish with me.

Offline Ken18621

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Marcum vx1 here...... compared it to a fl8 and liked the bottom zoom feature....live it.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:22 AM »
Vexilar FL-18...bought it at harrisburg gander mtn 20+ yrs ago on sale $279. Never saw one before that. Absolutely best outdoor purchase I've ever made. Has an auto zoom feature that concentrates the cone on the bottom 6ft, great for finding fish in trees/brush and the ones glued to the bottom.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline planner47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:31 AM »
last 25 years fl-8.
Be careful and a life jacket and JESUS IS A GREAT SAVING COMBINATION!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.