The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2016/2017 ice fishin season who's ready?  (Read 2999 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
2016/2017 ice fishin season who's ready?
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 10:47 AM »
started to look over stuff it wont be long the pm's are waking up.gonna try to fill propane bottles this year collected a dozen or so.need a slippy product on bottom of sled to make the pull easier,any suggestions?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2016/2017 ice fishin season who's ready?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2016, 12:17 PM »
need a slippy product on bottom of sled to make the pull easier,any suggestions?

what do you mean? Like Hyfax? A Smitty sled? Wax?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2016, 12:22 PM »
hyfax made a huge difference pulling by hand other than powdered snow and saves the sled. skies under the sled makes that pull a lot easier.

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2016, 12:39 PM »
My wife woke up this morning to the humming of the vexilar above the t.v.  I told her I was just testing the battery, but really its kind of like music in the house.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2016, 01:21 PM »
yeah, pretty much, I wouldn't have a tub of any kind without hyfax runners on it and I love my Smitty sled. And, I make sure to wax my skis on the sled a couple times a year especially if I had to drag it over pavement. I just melt on parrifin wax an spread it with an old iron through a sheet of paper. Don't use the ol'ladies favorite iron... they hate that for some reason! ::)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:36 AM »
hyfax? need to oogle it? wax could be next step?by the way who irons lol?my sled is real rough because we get a lot of dry parkin lots when snow melts.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2016, 10:05 AM »
whom ever made your sled should offer a hy-fax kit for it. they bolt on and you have to drill holes for the bolts. shappells kits are reversible so you get twice the use from them.

you can mix and match kits to sleds, like shappell to cabelas for an example. a 3 runner hy-fax kit should be about 30$ or roughly 10$ per hy-fax strip with hardware. the hardware in shappells is stainless steal and they use good washers (rubber under metal) to keep water out.

i'm surprised if you haven't worn holes in your sled on  parking lots. the hy-fax will get chewed up too, but that's cheaper than the sled to replace.
maybe you should look into building a smitty sled with wheels to put your sled onto. build it so the wheels are fast on and off and still use the hy-fax kit.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

also, try pulling up to the lake and unload and load there so your not pulling a fully loaded plastic sled over pavement. i do even when there is snow.
you could sand out some of the roughed up scratches if your not going to use hy-fax, but would be good to do even with the hy-fax for deeper snow when your not using a smitty ski.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:30 PM »
whom ever made your sled should offer a hy-fax kit for it. they bolt on and you have to drill holes for the bolts. shappells kits are reversible so you get twice the use from them.

you can mix and match kits to sleds, like shappell to cabelas for an example. a 3 runner hy-fax kit should be about 30$ or roughly 10$ per hy-fax strip with hardware. the hardware in shappells is stainless steal and they use good washers (rubber under metal) to keep water out.

i'm surprised if you haven't worn holes in your sled on  parking lots. the hy-fax will get chewed up too, but that's cheaper than the sled to replace.
maybe you should look into building a smitty sled with wheels to put your sled onto. build it so the wheels are fast on and off and still use the hy-fax kit.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

also, try pulling up to the lake and unload and load there so your not pulling a fully loaded plastic sled over pavement. i do even when there is snow.
you could sand out some of the roughed up scratches if your not going to use hy-fax, but would be good to do even with the hy-fax for deeper snow when your not using a smitty ski.
i got a clam flipover and its really hard to "launch "at a busy ramp its insane some days guys pullin up in the trees to park no lol and with all the stuff i bring for me and the dominator it takes 15 minutes to pack up no lol thank you will look into the hyf ax as aint got no room for smitty lol ill take a picture in the future
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2016, 05:42 AM »
If you make the smitty right, it breaks down easily. Doesn't take up much room at all.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I'm not as nimble as i used to be... but just give me a call and ill pull your gear out. At least i know ill get to watch someone catch a fish! Even if they aren't hitting for anyone else.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:47 AM »
We only got 8 weeks left until first ice, don't we?

YES WE DO!!! ;D
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2016, 01:53 PM »
We only got 8 weeks left until first ice, don't we?

YES WE DO!!! ;D
here looks like 12 weeks togo :cookoo: :icefish:

Niech cię Bóg błogosławi
mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:23 PM »
well i went out to check conditions and water temps i might have to revise my forecast to at least 10 weeks lol had to try out the striper killer lure while i was checkin things out  :o
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06:39 PM »
what no flasher                  have someone swim under the transducer and report back

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2016, 07:04 PM »
At least now, you can see exactly what the jigs are doing when you twitch
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2016, 10:40 AM »
  Nice float suit Mo! LOL!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2016, 11:53 AM »
  Nice float suit Mo! LOL!
looks like im gonna need it again this year or might have to howdy neighbor you at your local lake lol  :o :o still swimming here hopefully not in january :nono:
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline pa ice king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:13 AM »
Excited. New Lx7 for the 2016 2017 ice season! :)
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:19 AM »
hey for back to the original post, if your refilling  bottles, check out you tube, great examples of how to fill them. Pulling out that pressure tab a few quick bursts really speeds up the fill. Just like they do with the big tanks when they fill them. :-) just make sure you do it outside...........  ::)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:45 AM »
gonna look at u tube video to fill bottles, boy is time going fast  :wacko:its just around the corner seems like yesterday last time on ice
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:02 AM »
The thing that will make your pull the easiest aside from a machine or conning a friend into doing it for you is a Smitty Sled, they're quick, cheap, and easy to build.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:06 AM »
The thing that will make your pull the easiest aside from a machine or conning a friend into doing it for you is a Smitty Sled, they're quick, cheap, and easy to build.
ha ha i got jayswimmer to volunteer to pull my stuff in lieu of puttin him into some feesh lol i shouldnt complain some times i fish otta my tailgate  :o people walk over tons of fish all the time  :cookoo:alot of structure is right next to shore ;) we cant wait to fish,never got boat out i need to sell it its a great machine butttttttttttttt as b o a t stands for "break out another thousand" was tight on cash and still am but thank GOD i have all my needs supplied.
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2016, 04:36 PM »
I'm ready, been thinking about it since my last day on the ice!  With my work schedule, ice fishing is the only hobby that I actually have time and a clear mind to enjoy anymore.  That kid of yours is plenty big to be pulling gear, get two little sleds and have him make 2 trips! 

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05:02 PM »
here looks like 12 weeks togo :cookoo: :icefish:

Niech cię Bóg błogosławi
mo

Right back at you mo........just remember, two years ago, we were on the ice November 20, the earliest ever, last year, January @(*$^, the latest ever.  who the hell knows when this season will start, might as well be an optimist.
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2016, 03:45 AM »
I'm hoping we have a repeat of being on the ice on November 20th again, that'd be a fitting payback for last years lousy season.  Only time will tell but I'm hoping.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Ok.mo
We really didn't . needto.see that

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2016, 10:10 PM »
I'm ready to go!!!  I was really excited to hear the low temp was 23 the other night in Lopez!!!  It's coming!!! :woot:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Haven't got out much last 5 years but anxious to get out more and meet all of you guys. Retirement is nearing and my campground is only 15 min from Moraine. Have boat fished there a lot so i'll give it a try. At the least I can b.s. a lot about the old days.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I've been ready to go since last season except for changing the line on my jigging reels,  I wait until the new line comes out, but that won't take long to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.