The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: DISCARDING THE CARCASSES  (Read 2204 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
DISCARDING THE CARCASSES
« on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:19 AM »
was sitting looking out the window at all this wonderful snow >:(, and heard a commotion outside the crows were screamin hawks hawks hawks to my surprise the hawks were
 fighting with the crows for the fish carcasses :o :o i guess its a complete utilization of the resource?

GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DISCARDING THE CARCASSES
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Cool. I put mine in the compost heap. Usually I put a layer of straw over them but this season I noticed the chickadees and other winter birds were picking at them most of the day so I'm leaving them exposed. They clean up the fish pretty good. Nothing left but scales and bones.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:57 AM »
They're great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Put mine on the garden (exposed), and the birds clean them up quickly and thoroughly the only thing left is scales skin and some bones, then plow them into the soil come spring.

Offline HeclaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Yep, mine go in the garden as well, but I still end up with low calcium levels in my soil......  End of winter is quite a sight at my garden.  Layered with fish bones and egg shells.  Keeps the neighbors away. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:41 PM »
They're great pictures, thanks for sharing them.
i cant grow a garden due to the deer problem  >:( >:( >:( we get them 6 at a time up to 14 bux and does ill try to get a pic ;) so i throw them in da bushes they hang on the branches and the birds peck on them in the spring i end up with a pile of fish heads staring at me  :o :o ::) with the snow its like mac donnells out there
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline StoneCat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Let next guy eat! Lol the one almost looked like a grouse at first.. great pics .love the grwat outdoors!
What are you going to do,just stand there and worry about it? IF that's the card you're dealt that's the card you play.Just pick up the slack and keep on going.

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • its all about the fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Yep, mine go in the garden as well, but I still end up with low calcium levels in my soil......  End of winter is quite a sight at my garden.  Layered with fish bones and egg shells.  Keeps the neighbors away.
if you have low calcium levels try sprinkeling in some powdered milk before you plant and then put 2 tablespoons in the holes where you are going to plant tomatoes it helps keep the blyte away
If you want me to listen to you talk about fishing      I am a member of PETA     people eating tastey animals

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:43 PM »
nice pictures mo, the birds also happy in my yard.

Offline lastchance54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Cool photos. It's true. One man's junk is another man's treasure. A fish buffet!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:07 PM »

if you have low calcium levels try sprinkeling in some powdered milk before you plant and then put 2 tablespoons in the holes where you are going to plant tomatoes it helps keep the blyte away

Good advise!
Ron

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I only plant heirloom and usually deal with Blyte,definitely caught my attention never heard of that before.      Sorry getting off topic

Offline Jesse yourich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:27 AM »
I use mine along my trap line it's definately good bait

Offline HeclaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I will try the powdered milk idea in the hole for sure this spring.  I always end up fighting end rot.  I can sympathize with the critter issue.  The deer used to be a problem until I built fort knox in my back yard to keep them out.  Got an electric fence hooked up with chicken wire along the bottoms around my garden.  The ground hogs still chewed through the chicken wire and devastated my beans this year.  When they didn't take the hint to stay out, I went a lil crazy and dispatched them all Clint Eastwood "Unforgiven' style. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I will try the powdered milk idea in the hole for sure this spring.  I always end up fighting end rot.  I can sympathize with the critter issue.  The deer used to be a problem until I built fort knox in my back yard to keep them out.  Got an electric fence hooked up with chicken wire along the bottoms around my garden.  The ground hogs still chewed through the chicken wire and devastated my beans this year.  When they didn't take the hint to stay out, I went a lil crazy and dispatched them all Clint Eastwood "Unforgiven' style.
goa head push all the buttons  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: darn grass pigs ,chipmunks,squirrels, skunkz,possums,mice,moles,voles,shrews, its noahs ark back there. as for the carcasses the blood is also good for the soil,you guys need to completely remove old plants not in compost pile and sterilize your soil with black plastic and drip irrigate to keep the fungus at bay i e blight.i used to dig pits where i was gonna plant tomato's next season and fill with carcasses and in spring lightly cover and plant directly on top of carcasses.
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Nice pictures 1MOFISH of those hawks.
When the river here locks up with ice or gets all slushed up, the eagles have a tough time fishing, but they stop by my place to see if I have been fishing.... I have been putting fish carcasses out for them for years now....awesome birds and I love seeing them.
This is "Brave" a few weeks ago feasting on frozen panfish .

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Damn Mo he one upped you @)can't beat a eagle in your back yard.really cool pics choo choo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Nice pictures 1MOFISH of those hawks.
When the river here locks up with ice or gets all slushed up, the eagles have a tough time fishing, but they stop by my place to see if I have been fishing.... I have been putting fish carcasses out for them for years now....awesome birds and I love seeing them.
This is "Brave" a few weeks ago feasting on frozen panfish .

hey joe does a pair beat 1 of a kind lol
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:19 PM »
it does if the 1 of a kind eats the pair

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Damn Mo he one upped you @)can't beat a eagle in your back yard.really cool pics choo choo
my bad,that eagle is beautiful and your right cant beat that buttttt i live in pittsburgh no eagles on this side of the state lol
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:35 PM »
my bad,that eagle is beautiful and your right cant beat that buttttt i live in pittsburgh no eagles on this side of the state lol
GOD BLESS
mo

What are you talking about Mo? We have lots of eagles over here. Heck you have them in the City of Pittsburgh. Check one out - http://www.pixcontroller.com/eagles/

Fishing must be bad if you are posting at 2 in the afternoon. ;)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:40 PM »
What are you talking about Mo? We have lots of eagles over here. Heck you have them in the City of Pittsburgh. Check one out - http://www.pixcontroller.com/eagles/

Fishing must be bad if you are posting at 2 in the afternoon. ;)
come on now black and gold taint no eagles in pittsburgh only in philly had daddy day care plus granddaddy day care, was preppin chargin the vex,gettin bait, checkin quipoment im ready for mo carcasses
GOD BLESS
mo

Chute82

« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I always thought the only bird in Pittsburgh is the middle finger?

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:43 PM »
i cant grow a garden due to the deer problem  >:( >:( >:( we get them 6 at a time up to 14 bux and does ill try to get a pic ;) so i throw them in da bushes they hang on the branches and the birds peck on them in the spring i end up with a pile of fish heads staring at me  :o :o ::) with the snow its like mac donnells out there
GOD BLESS
mo

Snow fence it mo...at least I think it's snow fence? Lowe's sells it.  It's like 4ft? High black plastic snow fence looking stuff.  Its in the garden section.  Ive never looked to see what its actually called.  Works at keeping the deer and chickens out here.  Also said pie pans, and crushed garlic works to deter them.  Never tryed it though so can't say if it does or not

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:56 PM »

carcasses full?
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:34 AM »
Thanks 1MOslab, 1MOFISH and guy's.... I'm glad you liked the pictures :icefish: @) ;)
I've got a few blue jays , 2 squirrels and of course crows and ravens that like the fish carcasses too...fun to watch when I'm not fishing  @)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.