The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 946 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
GPS
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:15 AM »
just wondering if you guys use GPS? if so is it easy to use? and how accurate?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:36 AM »
1mo, Absolutely. Particularly on big lakes like Pymatuning. Just remember the spot you catch fish in one place is no guarantee for tomorrow. But at least it's a good starting point. As far as accuracy, they say within ten feet. That should get you pretty close. The other thing you can do is enter lon/lat  coordinates that are often given to you on lake maps. You should be able to navigate to those coordinates. Hope this helps.   Lou

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:52 AM »
yes it helps, saw navionics site, sent for a etrex seemed moron proof,i need that lol. saw guy in Hereford manor said he could put me into structure pulled out gps and walked to a spot drill here  :tipup: 6lb bass I was hooked but too cheap to buy one. anyone one got hot spots long/lat numbers to share?
GOD bless
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline john1026

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLLAGGG!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I use my gps all the time on the lake and in the woods.  I have a handheld garmin and Love it.  It will usually set me withing 5 feet of my target.  It did take me a little time to get the hang of it but it's not to hard.  It probably would have helped me if I wouldve read the manual. 
FLLAGGG!!!

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:42 AM »
There is lots of good FREE information on the Pa Fish and Boat site. From the home page go to FISH / HABITAT / LAKE HABITAT IMPROVEMENT MAPS. This will take you to a county list. In your area there are maps for lakes in Butler, Beaver, Armstrong and Westmoreland counties and probably others. I looked at the map for Lake Arthur in Butler county and found that there is plenty of man made structure with GPS locations. I've used these maps in my area and found them to be very helpful. Some of the older location are not very accurate...apparently GPS's were not that great back then. I never go fishing, soft water or hard water, without my GPS.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:02 PM »
 I have an older unit (2nd gen it is WAAS system that was supposed to increase accuracy - not really anywhere from 5' - 50' :( ). I have used it on the ice but haven't marked any spots worth returning to LOL. Still put "bright eye" tacks on my tree stand tree/ turkey spots.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:16 PM »
I have an older unit (2nd gen it is WAAS system that was supposed to increase accuracy - not really anywhere from 5' - 50' :( ). I have used it on the ice but haven't marked any spots worth returning to LOL. Still put "bright eye" tacks on my tree stand tree/ turkey spots.
waas and glonaas equipped Russian satelites, who would think that? looked up the maps lotta structure marked thanks
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline john1026

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLLAGGG!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:19 PM »
There is lots of good FREE information on the Pa Fish and Boat site. From the home page go to FISH / HABITAT / LAKE HABITAT IMPROVEMENT MAPS. This will take you to a county list. In your area there are maps for lakes in Butler, Beaver, Armstrong and Westmoreland counties and probably others. I looked at the map for Lake Arthur in Butler county and found that there is plenty of man made structure with GPS locations. I've used these maps in my area and found them to be very helpful. Some of the older location are not very accurate...apparently GPS's were not that great back then. I never go fishing, soft water or hard water, without my GPS.
Thanks for the information of these maps.  Arthur looks great.  Lots of structure there. 
FLLAGGG!!!

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Use the GPS on larger lakes like pyme erie latonka.   We mark the spot on the fish finder in the boat then get the coordinates and punch it in.   Don't really use the GPS on Arthur though cause there's so many natural occurrences on the land that you can rember where to drill at ( old well  dead tree pines etc etc). To where pyme and stuff is more open water out away from shore.  Sure works

Offline JeffCoHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:16 PM »
I just started using the Navionics app for my phone and like it so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.