The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: gander mtn  (Read 2208 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
gander mtn
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:45 PM »
hit gander mtn in erie today cause the fish were to cold to bite at CL.they were pretty wiped out some jigs,some rods ,and a ice scoop.no augers ,flashers,or shelters.manager said he could have probably sold $10,000 worth more because of the weather but their policy now is get it at the beginning and don't restock.saved me some money I guess.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: gander mtn
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Talk about stupid, a bean counter's handy work for sure.  And they wonder why people don't shop there.

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Went to the same store right after the new year.  They had the Hard Water add there (the same 24 page one that was on-line).  The store had very little of the stuff at that time.  They never even intended to carry it.  Might as well save the gas money and pay the shipping on line, you'll actually find the items.

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Gander normally has some pretty good free shipping offers, food for thought

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:36 AM »
I would expect nothing less from that company.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:16 AM »
GANDER MOUTAIN BITES!!!!!!!!

Offline Phosphorus Bromide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:57 AM »
I've noticed a sharp decline in both variety, and volume of ice fishing gear at Gander. We had a store open in NEPA (maybe 15 years ago), and initially, it was the place to go for all things ice-related. Now, not so much....

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:06 AM »
GANDER MOUTAIN BITES!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, just in the context of this site, Bites = Good...I would rephrase to Gander Mountain BLOWS!!!!!!! wind = bad

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Hmmm, just in the context of this site, Bites = Good...I would rephrase to Gander Mountain BLOWS!!!!!!! wind = bad

Im with you brother.

Offline labman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Can't wait for the Field and Stream store to open in a while. Never been in one, but its got to be better than Gander. :-\

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Did you go to Dick'sSportingGoods.  They had a good stock of stuff the other day on sale at 25% off.  Dunham's in Meadville had some gear also.  Heard that Sportsman's Warehouse went under.  Deals at 80%+ on the entire store.  Missed it but heard it was killer. $500 dollar scope for $60.
Bad day fishing…Better than a good day at work.

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Field and stream stores are owned by Dicks so I wonder how this will work out...

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Kid at the store said he was hoping to be transferred there.  I say that they should be on the bayfront instead of more hotels.  A BassPro would be great with an aquarium and all.  Makes more sense tonme than a Hilton.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Can't wait for the Field and Stream store to open in a while. Never been in one, but its got to be better than Gander. :-\

x2 One is to open 15 minutes from my house in the Altoona,Pa area

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:52 PM »
the gander mountain stores in my area really suck. They have gone so far down hill in the last ten years.
 The one in Washington, PA was the best store at one time. Now its about the worst. Sure its a big store, but has nothing more in it like it did at one time.
They had boats,quads and ice fishing section at one time. ALL GONE NOW.
Now they have half the stuff and just spread it out more to fill the space.
   Cabellas not bad, The new field and stream in cranberry ok.
 None of them have a great ice fishing section anymore.
  If you do go to Cabellas in wheeling, call ahead and ask if they have what you are looking for in their distribution warehouse.
You can pay in store and drive 1/4 mile and pick it up. No waiting or shipping cost.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:52 PM »
the field and stream in cranberry did not have to bad a spread for here ,about the same as cabelas.the big new dicks  ;D in cranberry had jack.

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:56 PM »
E-Commerce is killing the stores and to some extent the jobs.  Why drive to a store when that same stores site offers you what you want with free shipping.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I like to hold it in my hands :thumbsup:

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:01 PM »
seems to be the story with them everywhere... I wonder what their deal is

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I agree.  I like to try it before I buy myself.  I didn't realise that Erie was the only spot for FishUSA headquarters.  Good knowledgeable people to work with.  Selection for ice is terrible right now because most everything has been sold with no reorder but ice gear to sell has been a gamble the last few years.

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:25 PM »
The online thing definitely eats into brick and mortar stores...but that may soon change once online stores are required to charge state sales tax. Shipping costs are going up too so the mom n pop shops might have a fighting chance. Time will tell.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Gander Mountain, or Greed Hill as I call it, blows, sucks, and is a joke.  I don't waste my time or gas going there, total rip off and seldom has what I'm looking for in stock and if they do the prices are a lot higher than other places.  I wish a new store would open near them maybe the competition would prod them into carrying more stuff and get their prices in line.

Offline StCroice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I myself am not a fan of gander but I know a lot of places are out of a lot of ice fishing gear.  My guess is because of the last few very poor seasons everyone got stuck with a lot of product and just went off previous sales.  That being said you would think they should have the ability to order more.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I'm sure they can order more but was told ganders policies now is to not order more after the first shipment now matter what the weather or how it is selling.now that is some good business sense :wacko:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:59 AM »
They're so terrified of having stock left on the shelf at the end of the season that they'd rather let shelves sit bare for a month or so until the next season. That looks like bad management at the top. I went in there last week for some Carhartt insulated overalls and they didn't have a single one!

Offline basshead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:04 AM »
They told me ice season was about over in Indiana

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I'm not sure what planet they live on... But that's what happens when greedy corporate managers run things that they don't know anything about. Fisherman are a group that you don't want to piss off or you'll be out of business pretty quick!

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I live in Erie and have been in both GM and Dicks a few times in the past few weeks and bare bones for ice equipment. I think when their Field and Stream opens up things might get better. We're lucky to even have FishUSA local and they are out of tons of things. Next time your up check out Erie Sports Store, next to Lowes on Peach St (RT19). They had at least 10 shelters stuffed together and a small wall of ice fishing gear. They had 3 sonars left after I bought my Showdown the other day and everything is on sale. They had an Eskimo Wide 1 shelter on sale for 329.99! ....thats a 400+ shelter. They never seem to advertise and Ive only been in there a couple times but never noticed the inventory they have.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Also forgot to mention Presque Isle Angler is another great new find (for me). I was in there the other day after calling around to GM, Dicks, FishUSA and a couple other places for new auger blades. They had them and they were only a buck more than on line prices. They had tons of jigs, rods, reels etc. They also have a Frabill 2 man flip over shelter for 250.00!!!! It came with tow bar, 2 Frabill chairs and a cover for the sled. I'm not a sales person, just can't stand these big box stores advertising and giving the impression they have tons of stuff and they have nothing!
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:43 AM »
always looking for places to get stuff I really don't need and cant live without ;D ;Dthanks for the info teambluegear

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.