Author Topic: Modular Skid Build  (Read 1451 times)

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
Modular Skid Build
« on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:21 PM »

I wanted a simple shack to leave out on the lake for the season, but don't have a trailer (the lake access is down the street) and didn't want to store it in the yard during the offseason. Lightweight was also a priority.
While looking for some ideas/plans to build my own modular shack from scratch, I found one that was sitting in a shed and ended up buying it.

The Build/Upgrades:

Here it is getting delivered, the heaviest pieces were the floor/skids. The whole thing breaks down into 13 pieces total.

The panels all go together with lag screws and bolts. I put a few together first to see how it went.

Fresh paint and waterproofer on the exposed wood. I also picked up some UHMW pieces from a local plastics company and attached them to the runners

I picked up some inexpensive paneling from the hardware store to protect the foam insulation and also provide a mounting surface for switches and lights

LED hole lights with switches in each corner. I found these on amazon for $15 4-pack

Added a bunk/bench with some 2x4, cot top and fence posts.

Pulled out to the access and across the lake easier than I thought. The 4 wheeler is only 300cc and no chains (yet), but pulled the shack without any complaining.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Modular Skid Build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Nice work, similar to what I had 30 years ago, minus the interior paneling.  That should be toasty warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.