Author Topic: Flip over rod storage  (Read 4094 times)

Offline jdennis422

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip over rod storage
« on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I have a 2 man Clam flip over and am looking for any ideas as far as rod storage when travelling.  I will mostly be towing my hut behind an ATV or snowmobile and looking for ideas to store rods when not being used or travelling to and from my vehicle.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flip over rod storage
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:38 PM »
Hard to beat a hard case and bungee cords, maybe take a look at a hard rifle case of the AR platforms, they look to be about the right size for ice rods.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:11 PM »
The Otter Sportsman's Case is tough to beat. The nicest feature about it is you don't have to fold down the reel handles and I think you could drop it from a plane and not break a rod. The rifle cases that were mentioned are also a good option. In a couple of weeks you can get the Otter for $80 to $90. If you have custom or expensive sticks you do not want to break while traveling, I think it's to best option. Also consider strapping your rod box, which ever you choose, to your wheeler or snowmobile instead of leaving them in the flip over...just extra insurance as it is a rough ride in the flip over sled behind any machine
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:24 PM »
I own the otter sportsman and the expedition rigid frame in 45inch. Both great cases. Otter is super tough. If you value rods a case is a must. How often do fish break a rod? Most break during transportation. Not sponsored by "reeds sports" but they seem to have some of the best ice fishing inventories and shipping is usually 3-4 days to me in pa.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:15 AM »
I own the otter sportsman and the expedition rigid frame in 45inch. Both great cases. Otter is super tough. If you value rods a case is a must. How often do fish break a rod? Most break during transportation. Not sponsored by "reeds sports" but they seem to have some of the best ice fishing inventories and shipping is usually 3-4 days to me in pa.

X2 on everything, otter and reeds.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:39 AM »
I made the mod under my seat it's a cradle and it will fit rods up to 36in .  It use to have net, replaced with plastic and made it the width of sled. I use pipe insulation for rod covers, keeps them protected and tangle free. Fish trap pro 1st gen

Offline Looper21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:26 PM »
I can put 6 rods with handles folded down in a hard arrow case I removed the foam that  holds the arrows woks good and cheap

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:05 PM »
I cover my rods with pipe insulation. I bot the Clam netting and attached to inside wall of my flip over under my seat. I then put the rods in the netting. So far, so good. I manhaul my gear a lot so weight is a big deal to me. Hard rod case takes up space and weight.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:37 PM »
I built 2 scabbards, I on each side of the tub. I used 1-1/2 inch ABS, and routed a groove in and down to accept the reel stem, inserts like a bolt action. I extended the groove past the reel seat to relieve the line going to the first guide. Slide them in, turn down to lock, and go.

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.