Author Topic: clam nanook /wind  (Read 5393 times)

Offline kinwashkly

• Team IceShanty Regular
clam nanook /wind
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:45 AM »
I have a clam Nanook, on very windy days which way to you point youre sled?, do you set up so the wind hits the back or the front of the tent? I was out the other day and had the wind blowing the back of my tent and it went airbourne as I stood up, I did not have tie downs, I do now.

Offline summit-viper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: clam nanook /wind
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:07 PM »
i set my yukon up so it hits the back, but make sure you have all of your support poles in, not some bent poles are in order on very windy days

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I have been trying to come up with an idea for tie downs on the hoops / canvas.

So far, anything that I do is going to make me not want to move the shack and look for fish.

If there isn't any snow, then I usually set my auger on the canvas to hold it against the ice on the windward side.

Wiener 

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:55 PM »
I have been trying to come up with an idea for tie downs on the hoops / canvas.

So far, anything that I do is going to make me not want to move the shack and look for fish.

If there isn't any snow, then I usually set my auger on the canvas to hold it against the ice on the windward side.

Wiener 

i have a fishtrap pro and i fold the flaps in and cover with snow to hold it down and keep cold air out if theres no snow i use the ice from my holes also tree climbing spikes work good for anchors. i always keep the wind at my back and build a wall along the side of my sled inside so it dont blow away

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:59 AM »
So you fold the flaps inside the shack?

I'll have to try that next time out.

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline bullgil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:12 AM »
i have the "guide" model, and have had it for many years. when it is real windy, i drill partial holes in the ice and use a modified turnbuckel in the holes, spread them to contact the holes and jam in. much quicker and easier than the "anchors". for the front, iuse my ice chisel as weight to hold it down. i had ment to make a "jig" w/ a piece of plywood and clips that would attach to the poles on the inside to keep the front from flying up in a gust of wind. just pop them on both sides once set-up, and still use chisel as weight.
  after looking at the anchor "istallatio0n" tool, think that is a better idea for quick mobility. just means carrying the cordless drill.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:07 PM »
I was thinking of getting some of those ankle weights that athletic people use to hold down the skirt.

It wouldn't be that much more to carry.   I could keep them in the truck and only take 'em when I'm fishing a lake with little or no snow.

Wiener

Offline IceBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I have a Frabill Ranger solo and fish with the wind at my back.  The solo has a sleeve on the bottom of the tent where I run a chain through.  Adds a little weight but does a pretty good job of keeping the bottom of the tent from flapping and allowing wind through.

Without anchoring down, my sled will move in heavy winds if I stand up in the shanty.  One day the sled with me sitting in it started sliding down the lake....went 30' or so before I got it to stop.  Needless to say that was the end of my shanty for the day.
Bob (West Easton, PA) 

Offline CMAK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Hey I’m just curious how those ankle weights worked? I stared at my Shanti all day while I was leaning forward to keep it from Paris shooting and that was an idea that crossed my mind actually as well
RIP LIPS!!!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:36 PM »
I just put two small eye bolts on the pack of my sled and piggybacked a couple big fender washers on the inside topped off with nylock nut and a fender washer on the outside too with a regular nut.  Thought about making a couple 2-3 lb sand bags to drop on the skirt of my nanook xl, keep the wind from picking it up.  Not sure if that would be enough to keep it down.

Offline Dakpheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:40 PM »
I had some old ankle weights that I opened the seams.   I tied a knot in the end of a cut 26 inch bike tube.   Filled it with the "guts" of the ankle weights and tied it closed.  I made two of them.  Lay them on the skirt and it works really well.  I started with a length of heavy chain in a bike tube and it evolved into this.   

I haven't had to actually anchor the tub yet, but I do have eye bolts at each that I could tie an anchor to if needed. 

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2020, 12:31 PM »
I put my pullover so the wind is at my back

When I have run into issues with the flaps, ill go out and drill holes to make me some ice shards if there is no snow on the water. then I just kick them on top of flaps to hold them down. DO NOT use water or it will freeze. I only drill maybe 70% down so I dont break through

I have eyebolts on the back of tub in case its super windy but I find that throwing slush after drilling a hole under the sled helps it freeze in place, that way your tub is only frozen and not the fabric.

I do have a 2x4 with a length of rope if the wind gets crazy. Ill drill a hole on back of my pullover, throw the 2x4 down and let it float up to anchor on bottom of hole, then I just carabiner the ends to my eyebolts on the back of my sled

I have fished in pretty strong wind and have not had to use the 2x4 anchor.......yet

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2020, 01:01 PM »
This has worked well for me in high winds:

Back to the wind
Two eye bolts with large fender washers on both sides of tub
Eskimo anchors with short length of chain and carabiner
Digger ice angles if too much slush/snow for Eskimo anchors
Conduit clips for front bar, drilled out to be screwed to the ice with Eskimo anchors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.