Author Topic: 1991 ski doo safari primer  (Read 3036 times)

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
1991 ski doo safari primer
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:28 PM »
got the sleds going today, but i have a 1991 ski doo safari and the primer button is not injecting any fuel. i was doing some reading and heard about squirting wd 40. around primer or "blowing into tank" to get prime going. last year i had same problem. but after a few attempts of trying to start with electric start . the primer button worked and sled fired up. any ideas

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1991 ski doo safari primer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:25 PM »
The small fuel line between the primer and fuel tank is empty, if it's anything like my Tundra, it actually Tee's into the supply line for the fuel pump. Cranking the engine over with the electric start will cycle the pump and pull fuel into that line, which can then be drawn up the smaller line into the primer housing. My Tundra has the same problem at the start of the season, I just un-hook the inlet line from the back of the primer and gently siphon fuel up the line with my mouth. Re-attach it to the back of the primer and you're good to go.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:54 AM »
If the primer is working properly it will pull gas from the tank into the lines.  I am intimate with my primers.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:13 PM »
If the primer is working properly it will pull gas from the tank into the lines.  I am intimate with my primers.

Key words "if working properly"

Check to see the lines are not dry rotted or cracked.  Any little leak will result in a loss of prime.  On my 2-cycle equipment the ethanol fuels have been hard on fuel lines and they seem to become quite brittle.  It is also possible that once fuel is re-introduced in the system the seals will swell enough to begin to work properly again. A light coat of the wd-40 may help the primer seal if is becoming worn, may be best to replace it and the lines though.

Offline pfd161

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:24 PM »
simple to replace. cheap too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.