Author Topic: 2010 Crossfire 600 or 800 or ATV/UTV?  (Read 5004 times)

rickl1968

2010 Crossfire 600 or 800 or ATV/UTV?
« on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Missing

surflizard

Re: 2010 Crossfire 600 or 800?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Sharp looking sled Rick ! Myself personally, I Like the utility sleds like the Bearcats or Ventures for ice fishing, just my 2cts !! Good luck with whatever you choose !

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I've always found that most modern 600cc machines have more than enough power to get me into, and back out of trouble, so I can't justify spending the extra $$ on an 800. Some people do prefer the nice wide power band of the 800 to the smaller machines, I kind of like the peppy feel of the narrow power band of the 600s. To each their own. Good luck and post some pictures of your new machine!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2010, 06:33 AM »
I think I may go with the Crossfire 600. I was looking at the bear cat too but the only worry I had is, lifting the bugger up if I get it stuck. :cookoo:
Thanks for the input guys

That was My concern, but the wider track and wide skis, better floatation? Does it balance things out? Winch?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Ive seen a guy get one of these things stuck in a ditch about 3 miles from any plowed road, we gave him a ride to his truck. I never found out how they got it out.
I see your point about having a wider footprint, but I was thinking about even picking it up to move the back end. I currently have and old mountain cat and when it is full of snow or even slush it is a struggle. I could'nt imagine trying this with a bear cat.

Winch? Is this ridiculous or a good solution? Winch for the BearCat is available...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Those wide tracks are nice machines, until you get them stuck. And you will get them stuck eventually. Winches are fairly common with the heavy machines like that, some are even factory options right from the dealership. Jack-All's help too.

Good luck with the new sled!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2010, 08:43 AM »
My friends got the new bear cat its a nice machine and he has a winch on it it hooks to the front or back case you get stuck, i have owned a 600 and 700 crossfife the 600 is a nice reliable engine  but the 700 was nice for the extra horsepower for climbing steep hills with the sleigh,  but if your not doing anything to crazy with it the 600 is a good machine, also i would look at the electric start it is worth the extra coin and studs

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Is this a question about an ice fishing snowmobile?
If it isn't you will NEED ATLEAST an 800 ;)
If its really is just an icefishing snowmobile I think I would look at something that can be set up better for fishing, and second I would look at everything else but an arctic cr@p, I have never gone snowmobiling with someone who has one and its not been the problem sled.

But thats just my opinion ::)

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:45 PM »
The 600 is a good sled. The extra power the 800 offers will be used so minimally in the situations you spoke of that for the extra money it doesn't seem worth it.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Ice fishing / riding
The machine has to be able to navigate small trails and turn somewhat tight corners as i will be going into small speckledtrout lakes up here in Northwestern Ontario. I havent seen the Arctic Cats have as many problems as some others, especially the newer machines.
What kind of machine do you recommend?

Are you calling me out? ;)

I haven't really kept up with all the new machines out there today, I just have had poor experiences with AC in the late '90's, so that is where I have come from.
Right now I ride a 93 Polaris Indy trail deluxe, best machine I have ever owned (not the newest I have ever owned either). But, I don't really see Polaris as being a leader in the "ice fishing snowmobile" category, I have just modified mine to serve my needs.

But if you want a trail sled that can keep up with the gang then your not looking for an ice fishing sled primarily, you have to look for a trail sled that can serve you for ice fishing as its secondary purpose.
I do think its almost impossible to recommend a snowmobile to anyone who wants to use it for ice fishing, there are just too many variables to consider,
Like -the dealer, how close do you live? do you like their service?
      -how much ice fishing are you doing? how much trail?
      -what kind of lakes are you going into? are you breaking the trail? what conditions are you riding into?
      -what kind of "comforts" do you want? or do you want a light snowmobile?
      - plus what ever other considerations you can come up with.

For me, I have a bias against AC, I wanted something "lighter" (no elec.start, reverse, liquid cool), long track, two-up, and could be used on the trails if I wanted to, and I don't want to care about cosmetic damage from riding bush trails.
I break trail into our remote cabin in Eastern Manitoba for the last few years, so that is bush trail in deep snow, tight corners, swamps. The mods I have made are a 1 1/4" lug track, different track angle, and super wide ski skins.

If I were to look for a new snowmobile right now, it would probably be a Yamaha Venture lite, but I haven't look to closely to see whats all out there either.   

surflizard

Re: 2010 Crossfire 600 or 800 or ATV/UTV?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:19 AM »
I'd go with the Ranger for more carrying compacity ! Plus you can put a cab encloser on it, when the weather goes totally south !

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:47 AM »
I would go with the Ranger (utv) as well.  Easier to move gear around, you can get an enclosure, and do you really need an 850?  That thing must be able to tow a freight train.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2010, 02:51 PM »

If i was driving 13 miles to my fishing spot, i would want a snowmobile. Its gonna take 2  times as long on that quad with tracks. But if you already gota sled  what the heck then.......

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2010, 03:03 PM »
The enclosed Ranger would take about an Hour to get to your fishing spot. So I assume you are not going to use a trailer?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2010, 03:47 PM »
I saw a guy who had a ranger on tracks last year, went great through slush and all.

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Sounds great.  Love to see some pics after you get it.  Hmmm. wonder if I could run tracks on my sportsman 500xp  :P   naw... my wife WOULD kill me.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2010, 07:12 PM »
Pimp it!        Way jealous.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Awesome rig!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Great choice!!!!!         Can I borrow it?  ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:51 PM »
2011 Polaris RZR
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.