Author Topic: ultra light biting perch  (Read 4593 times)

Offline wallyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
ultra light biting perch
« on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I went fishing today and the perch were exceptionally light biting. When this happens to you guys what do you do. I tried sizing down my jig size and was less aggressive with action. Any suggestions would help. I am headed back out tomorrow. Thank you very much.   wallyjr
God,guns, and guts made america free.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ultra light biting perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Horizontal bait, super sharp hook, pinch the barb down and open the gap up. Seen with a camera down there nice Perch sucking in/spitting out baits and never knowing it watching the line or bobber. Not a sure cure but it has helped me a lot when there's no camera. Probably still not noticing most of them but end up with many lightly hooked in the top lip fish that were missed before

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:02 AM »
Lose the noodle rods and spring bobbers.  Sometimes you have to go aggressive jigging.  Get them to react instinctively on a bite.  That same aggressive jigging can also translate into aggressive hook setting anticipating those light nibbles.  Call it foul mouth hooking, but I learn that technique from Dave Genz.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:33 AM »
With braided line and snelled hooks, you can not feel a stationary perch inhale your minnow, you can not see the end of your rod move but you will feel the perch crush and scale the minnow with its volmer teeth in its throat. It feels like a violin string vibrating. They then spit it out and return to swallow it head first. If a lot of competetive perch are around, they will run before dropping the minnow. The best way to catch them is to feel the vibrations, slowly lift your pole and if you feel more weight, set the hook.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:51 AM »
First, if you have a Vexilar, this becomes easy.  Watch the attitude of the fish.  The light biters will show their finicky attitude on the Vex.  Change up your presentation from either aggressive or subtle, and also vary your depth at where you are presenting.  Sometimes a perch will bite really light at one depth, but you move a few feet up or down, and suddenly the light biters become racing rockets...

Using that vex also allows you to seee when that fish may be on your lure, and combining the vex view with some sensitive patience, you'll feel the bite even when its most delicate.

Oh, get rid of the bobbers/ floats.   ;D
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2009, 02:53 PM »
When in doubt....set the hook! I've had them just move the line or bend the rod tip maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Rip their lips on anything that doesn't seem normal.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Sometimes give'm more bait to bite on.  Hence the bite more than you can chew analogy comes into play.  It's more like bite more than you can spit out immediately.  ;D

It's funny in a way and will probably get you more nibbles than before.  However the one that nibbles and nibbles and nibbles usally means it's stuck in the mouth. 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Lose the noodle rods and spring bobbers.  Sometimes you have to go aggressive jigging.  Get them to react instinctively on a bite.  That same aggressive jigging can also translate into aggressive hook setting anticipating those light nibbles.  Call it foul mouth hooking, but I learn that technique from Dave Genz.

I agree, unlike bluegills-- perch don't really require finesse. find the aggressive biters. A standard pounding action w/ Northland minnow fry & waxie (or plastics) produced well for me last season.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline wallyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for all the information guys. Very interesting. I will try some more aggresive jigging and bigger baits. This site is great,i'm learning alot.   wallyjr
God,guns, and guts made america free.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:38 AM »
maybe try a little tight lining. If when you think you have a nibble, lower your rod tip about 2 inchs, if your line goes slack in the hole, you have a fish with your bait in its mouth, set the hook and land the fish.

J-

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:45 AM »
It often depends on the weight of the jig.  Just becuase the fish pick up the lure, and the rod tip becomes weightless. Something suspending in water now sitting on their tongue with weight will make them spit it out.   :P

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:48 AM »
When in doubt....set the hook! I've had them just move the line or bend the rod tip maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Rip their lips on anything that doesn't seem normal.

Sometimes give'm more bait to bite on.  Hence the bite more than you can chew analogy comes into play.  It's more like bite more than you can spit out immediately.  ;D

It's funny in a way and will probably get you more nibbles than before.  However the one that nibbles and nibbles and nibbles usally means it's stuck in the mouth. 

I have done both and has payed off.
;

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2010, 10:59 AM »
I rap my line around a stick length wise after it sits for a week or more you have a little bend in the line when unraped the wieght of the hook tends to pull the line tight and when a perch or white fish sucks it you can see the line get slack by watching the bend in it then set the hook.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Maybe your hook is too big. was jigging for pike once with about 1 1/2 inch long rubber tail jigs and getting lots of nibbles. After a while got fed up with the bs and put on smaller jig and started getting jumbo perch 12 to 14 inch.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I got to play with some ultra light biting perch.  The #14 hooks and smaller just wasn't hooking up with those perch, who knows, usually works...Then I switched up to some #10 hooks and when they bit, the hook set got some lips, only skin hooked but worked for me.  I guess the larger hooks this time, made them open their mouths just a little bigger.   ;D

It pays to be un-orthodoxed, sometimes... ;)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:23 AM »
i like to put a bobber stopper(the string kind) on my line above the leader, set it so is about 5-6 inches belowe the surface when lure is on the bottom.  with this you can see any line movement much easier. i got started doing this when low lighting and just to hard to see the line and subtle bites.  plus it gives a visual of what the lure action is. of course this is most practical when tight lining and continious jigging.
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.